Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Corals Dying! Help!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
spike2484 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spike2484 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corals Dying! Help!!!
    Posted: November 30 2008 at 11:27pm
I have a 90 gallon tank that's had corals in it for several years and they've all been doing great for a long time. Over thanksgiving I had my grandma come and feed the fish while I was out of town (she's done it several times before). I was gone for about 3 days, when I got home I had a few problems. My encrusting coral is starting to die high up in the tank but the part that is lower is doing fine. Also part of my anemone is looking shriveled but the other half is just as normal. Any ideas on how these could go from good to bad so quickly??? Also, I know in the past poor circulation leads to red algae growing on sand however I have lots of circulation and haven't had the problem for a long time and out of the blue the algae is growing again. The standard ph, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrate tests are all within their correct ranges. Any suggestions on the coral/anemone and sand????
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2008 at 11:29pm
Calcium? Mag? Alk? If those are in check, i have no Idea.
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2008 at 11:35pm
Welcome to the forum... I would do a check of your chemical levels first, then we can recommend a possible solution. I would say if you have the ability, I would do a 20% water change just in case.  Have you made any other changes to your system besides going out of town?  
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2008 at 11:57pm
usually sps colonies dying at teh tips is a sign of alk burn. is it possible that your alk jumped up? test your alk, calcium and mag again and post what you get. also what type of test kits are you using?
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 12:27am
Test kits do go bad, so I would take in a water sample to a store or a friend. This will help to insure that you are getting the right readings for the parameters..

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
spike2484 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spike2484 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 10:50am
I will take my water to the pet store ASAP today and post the results. In the meantime, do you guys know, if it is alkalinity burn will the anemone and corals heal with a large water change?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic