Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

orp questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jessejames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessejames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: orp questions
    Posted: December 06 2009 at 11:55pm
i just set up a orp cotroller for my ozone unit about a week ago and its only reading 200 now from what i understand its supposed to be around 375-400 .my qustion is my controller broken ?or does it take longer than a week to level out ?and if its really that low how do u raise your orp thanks for any input
building 220 marineland tank(had to return my 265 :-( couldn't fit it in my new house) with 120 g sump with g4x skimmer,47 column, 9 gallon aqua medic nano

wave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessejames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 1:01pm
bump
building 220 marineland tank(had to return my 265 :-( couldn't fit it in my new house) with 120 g sump with g4x skimmer,47 column, 9 gallon aqua medic nano

wave

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 1:44pm
Let me start out by saying that ORP is not like pH, salinity, ect. in the fact that you don't need to worry about the exact number as much as I would worry about a quick decrease in the number.

I usually give orp meters about 2 weeks to acclimate, so I would wait a little longer.  If after 2 weeks you are still reading that low then your control is probably not broken, but it is possible your probe is.  It is a new probe?  If so you may want to see if you can get it replaced.  If not if may be time for a new probe.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessejames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 2:24pm
the whole unit is brand new ill give it another week

wave

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 3:44pm
Clean your probe with a soft bristle toothbrush.
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 4:00pm
Ya those things take FOREVER to start reading right but Jake speaks the truth, don't stress about what the ORP says (unless it's broken of course) but fast fluctuations in change are something to be concerned about.

I replaced my ORP probe about 8 months ago (I've been told you should replace them yearly) and it took about 2-3 weeks before it starting reading proper. I've got it set to shut off my ozone 400 but I don't think it's ever gotten above 275 since the swap out the probe. But then again I don't dose allot of ozone. 

Well good luck. It might seem like ORP is a waist of time but its good to have. 

Micah

Edited by Sculpin - December 07 2009 at 4:02pm
Bryguy514 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryguy514 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2009 at 12:17am
I have a ozone generator and a controller but I have never hooked the thing up, mainly because Im not sure what it does to the tank?  I search the internet about ORP and read an article way over my head.  Can anyone clear this up for me and others that dont understand ORP?  My ORP reading is 290 - 325 should this be higher?
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2009 at 2:30am
I think I can give this one a shot-

First off, don't stress about it. It is hard to understand if you get into the finite details of how ORP works (I'm still not a 100% sure about it). To make it as simple as possible, ORP readings give you a sort of birds eye view of how your tank is doing. If a fish dies in your tank and is sitting in the back rotting away, your ORP will drop significantly. If you add in some uncured live rock you will see a huge drop. 

Look at it this way, ORP measured all organic things in the water. Now some are good and some can be bad and thats where the Ozone comes in. Ozone, when mixed with water in the skimmer, kills all the little living things good and bad. So if you have a disease in your tank, ozone will help to control it, lessing the organic material in the water and raising the ORP (to put it super simple).

As for what your ORP monitor is reading, I feel that as long as it is stable your good. As I said in a post above, mine hovers around 250. The tank looks good and my fish and coral are happy so I don't worry about where it's at but i do worry if I get a 15-20 point drop in a day.

Micah

Bryguy514 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryguy514 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2009 at 11:21am
What kind of effects do you see if any in the tank when injecting orp?  Is there less algea growth, better polyp extension, clear water?
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2009 at 12:40pm
Yes, Yes, Yes.

My Ozone turns on at 370 and off at 390.

Although it has been said that fluctuations are bad, it is better to say unexpected fluctuations are bad. Your ORP will drop normally at feeding time...for obvious reasons. So do not be alarmed at that. But, if your tank is normally in the 350 range and it drops to 250 for a day or more, something is likely going on (maybe a dead fish or other organism for instance). 

You must clean your ORP probe every week with a soft toothbrush. For me, I have found that a dirty probe will cause artificially high numbers, not low. This is a good thing, otherwise one might overdose O3 if it were the other way around.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic