Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ballast issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ballast issue
    Posted: July 24 2007 at 4:46pm
 I bought a new VHO ballast: ARO 2 lamp electronic ballast. I wired it, placed the bulbs in and only one will light. I thought maybe the bulb was bad, traded it, and with just one light in, both sides work, but it won't fire 2 bulbs. Any thoughts?
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 5:46pm
hard to guess from here, I would check the wiring first, follow the common(usually a yellow) then check the endcaps, and not likley the ballast.

also what is the total lamp distance that the balast can fire, could it be to much bulb for it?

can you get me the model # of the ballast and the #'s from the bulb, usually something like t12------- 

Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 5:55pm
ARO ballast model# A5-220
Bulbs are Superactinic FR48T12/VHO   They are 46 inchers.

The ballast box states it can fire 2 bulbs up to 48 inches each

Thanks, Brian!
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 6:13pm
I'm having trouble trying to find a schematic, call me and I can walk you through it.

Ed Taylor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 6:27pm
Suzy, I think that may be an AS-220.
155 Bowfront
90 tall, tangs, softies
70 tall, fresh
72 bowfront FO (sons tank)
55 fresh (sons)
30 hex fresh (daughter's)
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 6:30pm
it has to be a as-220, still no schematics that i can find.

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 6:51pm
Ok, guys, I am just going to wait till tomorrow and have Eric look at it on the way home from work. I  keep thinking how we should be teaching our kids delayed gratification, so I should practice it too! Thanks!!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 9:18pm
I though sure I could come up with a schematic but they are too small to see. It is printed on the side of the ballast.

Mike

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 7:16am
I wired it the same as the diagram on the back, and it really isn't that complicated. I'll see what Eric comes up with...
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 7:58am
ok, let us know, maybe you could take a photo of the schematic for future reference?

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 8:41am
Sure! I can tell you though:

2 blues go right to one bulb with a red and a yellow on the other side
2 browns go to the other bulbs with a orange and a yellow on the other side.

It's the blues that won't fire.
pickensw View Drop Down
IMAS Friend
IMAS Friend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pickensw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 9:00am
Suzy here you go. I hope it's the same ballast.

I hope this helps....this is a bad ballast that only one bulbs works also.

Will

Edited by pickensw - July 25 2007 at 9:04am
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 9:17am
Hmmm, if yours only fires one, too.....
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 10:49am
with just one light in, both sides work, but it won't fire 2 bulbs.

Based on that info, it sounds like a bad ballast to me.

But, make sure that the two wires going to the same end of the bulb are not connected together.  The current going through those wires need to pass through the "starting coils" at the end of the bulb.  That ballast is rapid start.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 11:04am
No, the end caps have different slots to slide the two wires in. I think it is physically impossible for them to touch, seeings how I took my others apart to see how they worked!

Thanks! I do think the ballast is dysfunctional. It was pretty cheap.
pickensw View Drop Down
IMAS Friend
IMAS Friend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pickensw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 11:28am

Suzy

The ballast was that way when I got it..used..I called aro and they told me they would send me another at cost and no shipping charge. I just called them to see if it was still under warranty. I think it was around $35 for the ballast I can't remember who I talked to.  That was over a year ago and I went another direction with my lighting.

I also think it is the ballast.  If I remember on mine the blue worked but the brown didn't.

Good luck..Will

Edited by pickensw - July 25 2007 at 11:29am
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 6:57pm
OK, it took Eric less than 2 minutes to figure out what I did and fix it. I tightened one of the plastic wire dohickeys so tight, it broke the copper wire....

I hope none of the ones in the basement do that!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 7:10pm
Wow! Maybe you need the Superman (Superwoman) shirt!

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic