Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1 gold stripe, 2 white Clownfish?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lowry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 gold stripe, 2 white Clownfish?
    Posted: October 29 2006 at 4:55pm
I bought a "White Striped" maroon clownfish from a LFS months ago, and now the front stripe has turned gold but the other two are still white!  Is it really a gold stripe that is now changing?  Is it a hybrid?  Ideas?

Derek
Moving back to Utah soon, and starting a new tank or three!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2006 at 6:16pm

I think I read somewhere that maroon clownfish can have either white or gold stripes and that they can change throughout their life based on environment, water parameters, etc.  If one stripe changed, I bet the others stripes are soon to follow.  I will try to look up where I read it.  Maybe someone else knows more.

sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2006 at 12:07am

There are two Maroon Clownfish strains yellow-striped and white-striped. Yellow bands will develop in juveniles at about 1 year old. It is noticeable first on the top of the head band. (both strains start out as white-striped). Yes, it is a GSM the other bands will turn yellow(gold).

Edited by sabeypets - October 30 2006 at 12:13am
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Sarah Lowry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Lowry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2006 at 1:40pm
Lame, it was sold to us as a white stripe. I think pet stores should mention that little detail when you buy it.  We bought it to be a pair with our other white stripe only to have her try to kill him. Seriously, I've never seen a fish so shredded that was still alive. But he looks geat now! (I'm Derek's wife)
Sarah Dawn Lowry
75 gallon baby
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 4:41am
Originally posted by Sarah Lowry Sarah Lowry wrote:

I think pet stores should mention that little detail when you buy it.

There are a million little details. Expecting the store to educate you is, well, asking quite a lot. Wink
This MB, the WMAS meetings, informed hobbyists, books and periodicals is where a person should gain their knowledge. Then they won't be led astray by naive and/or pushy LFS sales people.

In actuality, more and more reef fish color variations are being uncovered or developed every day. A change in color from juvenile to adult is certainly not absolute either. I raised some Tomato Clownfish that retained some juvenile coloration their entire lives. Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 01 2006 at 4:43am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic