Print Page | Close Window

$30 @ petco...

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Description: Posts that don't fit in any of the other categories.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9830
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 12:53am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: $30 @ petco...
Posted By: MarvinVB
Subject: $30 @ petco...
Date Posted: January 04 2006 at 10:46pm
Ok, so from an extended family member I got a 35 dollar gift certificate to petco. Their intentions were a fish... Obviously everyone has their opinions on petco's fish health, and I checked it out just the other day, and they all look horrible... So this is the question. What would you get with 35 bucks at petco.

Replies:
Posted By: Crazy Tarzan
Date Posted: January 04 2006 at 10:48pm
sand.  salt.  addatives.  Or a fish that is in one of the systems that isn't infected with ich...

-------------
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing

Posted By: jeffras
Date Posted: January 04 2006 at 10:55pm
Maybe you could have them order something for you and just pick it up at the store before they put it in their tanks.

-------------
Jeff Rasmussen

Posted By: shaggydoo
Date Posted: January 04 2006 at 11:09pm

I got my two clowns from petco.  The only reason I did this was because I was at the store as they were putting the clown shipment into their tank.  I kindly asked them for 2 that were not yet in their display and they bagged them up and I took them home.  Great healthy fish to this day.

Otherwise go for some salt, an extra PH or heater.  Some form of equipment that they can not taint as they often do their livestock.

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Posted By: Seaul8r
Date Posted: January 05 2006 at 10:49am
Which Petco?  I purchased my coral beauty from them, closing in on two years now.  It is a very healthy fish and a real nice addition in our tank.  If not livestock then purchase food, mag float, replacement media etc.  We all know $35 in this hobby won't last 5 minutes.

-------------
75 Gallon Display, 75 Sump/Refug, Euroreef ES5-2 Skimmer, Iwaki 70 return pump, DIY Stand/Canopy

Posted By: chris.rogers
Date Posted: January 05 2006 at 11:07am
They've got an online deal going on their canister filters. Buy one at a discount and sell it on ebay. :)

Or use it, whichever.

Posted By: jeffras
Date Posted: January 05 2006 at 11:12am
There is a member of WMAS that is a GM of a petco. I bet they do pretty well with there livestock.

-------------
Jeff Rasmussen

Posted By: Suzy
Date Posted: January 05 2006 at 11:18am
I like to get dog grooming supplies there! They have all the sizes of blades I need!

Posted By: Will Spencer
Date Posted: January 05 2006 at 12:07pm

Petco, like any other fish store sometimes has healthy fish and sometimes doesn't.  It seems like most often they don't, and in my experience they rarely have much in stock anyway.  Even when they do prices are usually much higher than other stores.  I saw a medium sized purple tang they wanted $119 for.  No other store in the valley would ever ask that kind of price.

Anyway I sometimes buy food and equipment there like heaters, or filter media.  I have also purchased salt and substrate from them when the price was right.  Unfortuately every fish I've ever purchased there died within 2 weeks so I wouldn't suggest fish even if they look healthy and are one sale.

Posted By: SharkByteShaz
Date Posted: January 06 2006 at 1:05am

OK so they are not perfect as everyone else here is. Will understands. They are at the will of the fish vendors just like you and I when they order a fish with out first seeing the fish. I can appreciate the apprehension, I too can watch a fish at any LFS for a week before purchasing it and still have a mort. or it lives forever and rules the tank. It's the chance we all take. 

Take the aquariums around the world that quarantines 100 fish only to have a few survive. I'll bet no one has ever thought of "How many fish had to die before this perfect specimen I'm looking at survived?" Keeping fish has always been a challenge that I enjoyed, sometimes your the bug and sometimes the windshield. C'est la vie.

I see beautiful fish at Petco as well as other LFS's all the time, Petco will always give you the chance if you want to buy the fish still in the bag, just show up when they are getting their order unpacked, still a chance of shipping shock though. Special order a fish if you like and pick it up when the order comes in, if it is mort when it arrives what are you out, nothing.

Will, how big is medium to you? I just bought a 4" purple from Petco for $59.00 last week, regular $89.00, if you're getting a better price on Purples let us know, they aren't always available through Petco at such a deal.

Good luck all at finding the deal and saving some greenbacks.

Thanks for enduring the soap box.... 

-------------
HOLD MY BEER, I WANT TO TRY SOMETHING...

Posted By: Imafishfreak
Date Posted: January 06 2006 at 1:09am

I lived in Vegas for most of last year and petco was the only petstores in vegas you could buy fish for a desant price. IMO, the help their knows slim to not much at all so their systems are not maintained or they just plain suck. Most of the fish I've seen look like absolute crap. I will admit I have purchased quite a few fish their in the past but have not bought anything since I moved back to utah and probably won't ever again. Everytime I go in a petco or petsmart I look at the employees and think to myself...................am I at a P.E.T.A convention.

No offense to any peta people that may be in the club.

I love all animals except the ones that crap in my yard or any animal that meows.

-------------
I swear dear, I didnt buy any more corals, they just multiplied!

235g. acrylic reef tank
Danny
syracuse, Ut.

Posted By: Imafishfreak
Date Posted: January 06 2006 at 1:12am
I bought a purlple tang in vegas that was gourgeous for only $49.00. the other ten they had looked like crap.

-------------
I swear dear, I didnt buy any more corals, they just multiplied!

235g. acrylic reef tank
Danny
syracuse, Ut.

Posted By: Suzy
Date Posted: January 06 2006 at 7:31am
I forgot I bought a little tank for my granddgtr for Christmas from there!
A little bow front plastic thing. Her first tank! We got pink gravel, a few
live plants. She just got her first fish: a male fansy guppy!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net