Print Page | Close Window

60g Cube

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: Tank Threads
Forum Description: A place to show off your tank build.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81750
Printed Date: April 16 2024 at 1:01pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 60g Cube
Posted By: shaggydoo
Subject: 60g Cube
Date Posted: January 15 2017 at 10:23am
Just got this setup and going yesterday. Water is clear and will update as I go.

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Replies:
Posted By: evan127
Date Posted: January 15 2017 at 11:14am
Looks great! What are you planning on stocking?

Date Posted: January 15 2017 at 11:19am
Planning mostly lps. Not sure about fish yet.

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Date Posted: January 15 2017 at 6:10pm
Any particular LPS in mind? What are you doing for flow?

Date Posted: January 15 2017 at 6:47pm
I like all lps. Probably going to start with some brain corals, blastos and acans. I have a koralia in the back corner and a return pump that came with the cad tank. Here is my tank from all 3 sides. I've always loved the dimensions on this cube. It's like having 3 tank fronts

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Posted By: phys
Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 1:03am
Sweeeeeet. Keep us updated!

Date Posted: January 22 2017 at 5:13pm
Got some life in the tank this weekend.

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Date Posted: January 22 2017 at 5:17pm
good start!

Date Posted: January 22 2017 at 5:19pm
Gorgeous euphyllia!

Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 12:35pm
Favorite coral

Clown

Torch

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Date Posted: January 28 2017 at 12:39pm
I hate how blue everything looks with my camera phone. I'm running lights a bit blue but not like how it ends up in the pics. I miss my fancy camera :(

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Date Posted: February 04 2017 at 12:10pm
Well had my first hiccup this last week. First, I had cannibal peppermints go hog wild on a new fungia. I've had dozens of peppermints in the past with no issue, so I don't know what triggered them to attack a healthy coral. However, they are now banished to the sump and the fungia is sad looking but making a recovery. I wish I would have banished them faster as I left them in an extra couple days as I couldn't believe they were really causing the damage each night. But after catching them red handed in the day time, and then seeing the immediate recovery once they were banished, I'm 100% sure it was them.

Second, my frogspawn fell off the rock and landed face down in the sand one night. I thought it was okay but after a couple days it stopped expanding on two of the four main heads, and they have quickly been devoured by brown goop (BDJ most likely). I'm siphoning off the gunk leading to increased water changes and so far it looks like two of the heads will make it. Fingers crossed.

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Date Posted: February 04 2017 at 2:03pm
Things look good! Sorry to hear about the corals though. The euphyllia will sprout new heads in no time!

Edit: If you don't have a DSLR you can buy little orange filters for your phone off Amazon or eBay to help tone the blue down and bring out better, truer colors from the corals. I'm thinking about buying some myself.

Date Posted: February 04 2017 at 2:23pm
I'll look into those filters. I'm definitely not getting the pics I want. Thanks for the tip.

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Date Posted: February 04 2017 at 5:36pm
I've never used one before, but they seem to work!

Date Posted: February 05 2017 at 2:37pm
Here is the poor frog and plate. Then new plate and fish. I'm really digging rustys reefs.

Still waiting on filter for phone camera. Ordered one off amazon

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Date Posted: February 05 2017 at 2:38pm
Whoops all sideways. I forgot to take the pictures horizontally

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Date Posted: February 06 2017 at 10:44pm
lookin good! I like that second fungia

Date Posted: February 11 2017 at 5:12pm
Updates. I can't seem to control myself now that I'm back in the hobby. Hope you enjoy!

Now I just want blastos, acans, a black sun coral, and a yellow one. I'm running out of space but have tons of room under my rockwork for sun corals.

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Date Posted: April 22 2017 at 5:12pm
Figured I should update. I'm still irritated by my camera (filters have not gone well), and I miss my old camera. My pics of my last tank were sooooo much better. However, tank is doing amazing. I'm sticking with 100% LPS. My latest purchase is a Copperband Butterfly, and I know these are finicky eaters. Any tips would be appreciated. Also my frogspawn continues to decline while everything else is doing great, go figure? Enjoy!

View from my desk every day of the work week 

Butterfly

Suncoral

Front shot

Top side

Candy cane that the male lives in at times. The rest of the time he shacks up with the female in my open brain. Maybe this is his dog house.

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Posted By: Frank
Date Posted: May 20 2017 at 6:07am
Awesome picture with this butterfly, I amazed to see all the picture. Good work. Keep it up.

Date Posted: September 24 2017 at 12:29pm
Well things have been amazingly crazy. I broke over a dozen bones in both my hips and needed major surgery. So that slowed down things in the tank arena. Luckily, my mom is extremely nice and knows a thing or two about tanks, and she took care of basic maintenance while I was down. All in all, they put humpty dumpty back together again somehow....

Then, I decide I feel better enough for a new tank adventure and start a simple biocube thinking about doing a seahorse tank. Unfortunately, it cracked after I started it for only a couple days. All it had in it luckily was water, sand and rock (no livestock).

Wife nearly shut down the hobby after 30 gallons of water began shooting unto my desk and floor, but things worked out well for a disaster and nothing was ruined in my house. 

I am now enjoying just one tank. I've had a few fish deaths and a couple corals died while I was in the hospital, but mostly things have been going well. My current fish list includes a yellow tang, 2 clowns, cleaner wrasse, leopard wrasse, ruby red dragonet, pajama cardinal, banghai cardinal, yellow goby, and a cling fish (so cool). Since my last update, I have lost my fairy wrasse and anthias, both jumped. The butterfly also did not make it more than three days as he developed an eye issue and died shortly thereafter.  

Here are some updated tank shots:

Things are growing well and I'm pretty happy with how things look especially at the top. 

Top down.

Hope you enjoyed. 

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Posted By: Mark Peterson
Date Posted: September 25 2017 at 3:35am
Looks great. Thanks for the Macro. 
Take good care.
Aloha,
Mark  Hug

-------------
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Date Posted: September 25 2017 at 1:12pm
Thanks Mark, it was nice to see you and show off my tank for a minute :)

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Date Posted: September 26 2017 at 11:35pm
Lookin great! 

Posted By: theresawhite
Date Posted: September 27 2017 at 6:09am
Looks good.
We are having Reef Tour on Nov 4 if you are interested in signing up. You'd be agreeing to open your house to fellow fish friends for the day, so they can come out and see your tank in person.

Date Posted: September 27 2017 at 7:28am
Thank you both! I've hosted the tour a couple times in the past, but it has been so long since I've been in the hobby, this year I think I'm going to go see other tanks. I'm planning on possibly hosting next year after my tank has had some more time to mature. Thanks again :)

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Posted By: Marcoss
Date Posted: September 27 2017 at 7:32am
Ouch. That looks incredibly painful.

-------------
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin

Date Posted: September 28 2017 at 8:26am
Yes Marcoss, it hurt a tiny bit ;) I got fully back into the hobby in 2017 but then all this other crap happened. So this is a mixed bag of a year.

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Date Posted: October 24 2017 at 1:05pm
Quick update. I will be doing the reef tour, so everyone plan on coming over. I'll have treats and be ready to nerd out talking fish all day. I'm excited to share my current tank as I've now accumulated 40 different LPS. 

Also, these will also be the last of my crappy phone camera pic updates. I just ordered a new camera! Hopefully, I can get some better pictures up before the reef tour, so you know what you will get if you choose to stop by. Thanks for looking and enjoy!

This is my view from my work desk and is still my favorite even thought its not technically the front of my tank. Go cubes!

I also realized I've not shared any pics of my sump. Its basic, so nothing fancy, but it should be documented.

Finally, a few of my corals that are doing much better than my last pics. These two acans finally found a spot where my yellow clown goby (aka Hitler) leaves them alone.

Side view of top. Anyone know what the orange mouthed coral is in the middle bottom? I think its a leptastrea, but can't be sure as the LFS told me it was something different. Its encrusting, very fuzzy and seems to be growing extremely fast (again sorry for the poor pic quality).

Scallop and new chalice to the left.

Back of tank which is my euphyllia area. Since the colors are crap, the back one is a bluish purple short tentacle torch, middle is a standard green with purple tips hammer, and front is my new favorite... gold frogspawn!

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Posted By: CoreyGan
Date Posted: October 28 2017 at 1:52am
Absolutely stunning setup. I love that blue glow. Seems so soothing to look at.

Date Posted: October 30 2017 at 10:11am
Thanks Corey, this tank is definitely blue because I'm going for coloration over growth (only so much growth can be accommodated in a 60g). My last tank was extremely white/yellow with 8x54w t5 setup, and I was happy with it. I even disliked bluer tanks in the past (pre-LED days), but now I'm changing my opinion. I enjoy watching my corals change colors before my eyes. Every coral (with only a few exceptions) has displayed more vivid and a wider variety of colors once in my tank.

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Date Posted: November 01 2017 at 1:05pm
New camera has arrived. I got it yesterday and couldn't resist trying it for a few minutes before lights out (the trick-or-treaters had to be handled by the wife). I did a little bit of editing and realized I have a lot of learning to do, but I like the pictures a lot better than my camera phone mostly because the coloration is much truer to how it looks in person. 

I'm open to all tips/suggestions. I have a D7100 with a 35mm standard and 105mm macro lens. I feel like these are decent images for having the camera for less than a day, but I know I have lots of room for improvement.

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Date Posted: November 29 2017 at 7:53pm
Taking pictures is hard work. I'm definitely not in shape enough for all this bending and moving, but I'm loving it. Slowly getting some pics here and there. Here are few I took today.

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Date Posted: January 20 2018 at 12:32pm
Well I've had some corals randomly dying. I may have stocked a bit too much too quickly. So I'm increasing water changes and harvesting more chaeto until things even out. However, I did take a couple of cool pics of my leopard wrasse and a battle between my frogspawn and acan. The frog lost big time, and I'm sure this isn't the last time they tango. Enjoy!

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Posted By: WildBill
Date Posted: February 01 2018 at 3:54pm
Beautiful tank. Lots of work. Thanks for sharing.

Date Posted: February 01 2018 at 4:37pm
Thank you Bill :)

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Date Posted: April 28 2019 at 7:28am
It has been a while, especially with a FTS update. Here are some recent pics I took with my phone, so again not the best quality. However, my new phone definitely does a better job of color representation than my old phone.

Front

Side

Other Side

Corner

New Hammer

Favorite Acan/Brain (this guy is in high flow and has caused an intense feeding response from him 24/7)

Top Side

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how things have been going. I've had a few corals mysteriously die on me, but most are thriving and my tank is still 95% LPS (I added a couple zoe/palys last month on a whim).

Also, I have several fish. However, they are shy and my rock work encourages hiding when they want to. The tank looks like a fish ghost town but is really not. 

Overall, I just wanted to show how things look over a year from my last posting and it has been a couple years since my last FTS. Enjoy!

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Date Posted: January 25 2020 at 5:21pm
Here are a few more updates since it has been almost a year. Things are going very well even though I have not done a water change in over a year. I'm becoming even more radical in my habits. No skimmer and no water changes. I simply harvest lots of macro and change out one of 3 big bags of carbon when I think of it.

Here is a front FTS:

Side FTS:

Other side FTS:

2 top down shots:

Looking at my tank from the sides, you might think there is a lot of room for more stuff. However, the top down shots show how little room there is for any more coral. I've had to move or frag several corals lately that were going to war, overshadowing other corals below, or getting buried by my pistol/goby pair. I've come to terms with not being able to have anything on my sandbed.

Hope you enjoyed looking! 

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Posted By: knowen87
Date Posted: January 26 2020 at 4:39pm
Nice update. Looks like algae is under control. Im assuming that you are still dosing Alk, Calc, and Mag right? Do you do anything for trace elements or monitoring parameters. 

Date Posted: January 26 2020 at 4:59pm
Thank you knowen. 

I dose b ionic two-part once a week along with foundation magnesium. Algae grows so well in my sump that I only have a little hair algae in one low flow area in a back corner of my tank. Nothing I'm concerned about as it's localized and doesn't interfere with any of my corals.

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Date Posted: February 02 2020 at 2:01pm
I got a rare glimpse of my pistol/goby pair hard at work today. Normally, they skitter back into their hole the second I get near the tank. However, this time the goby kept his eye on me (never flinching), and allowed the pistol to continue working for nearly 10 minutes. The quality of the video is not great, but at the 1:55 and 3:55 mark you can see some unique behavior as the pistol clears a hermit and nassarius snail that was in the way.

Hope you enjoy this rare glimpse of my favorite tank inhabitants. My water is always cloudy because of this guy digging, but I would never get rid of this pair. The symbiotic behavior they display is simply fascinating.

Note, the first 1 minute of the video is rough, until I tweaked the zoom and angle a bit. The ability to see what is going on gets significantly better at the 1 minute mark.

http://youtu.be/bFzmZ8At8Mo" rel="nofollow - http://youtu.be/bFzmZ8At8Mo

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Posted By: 08TRDOFFROAD
Date Posted: February 24 2020 at 11:34am
Where did you pick up the tank and stand from? Been considering starting a new tank and a 60 gal cube seems to fit the bill.

Date Posted: February 25 2020 at 9:32am
I purchased my tank directly from CAD Lights web site. They shipped it freight straight to my house. The stand was difficult to put together, but for the price, I'm pretty pleased with the whole setup.

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Date Posted: February 29 2020 at 3:17pm
Decided to practice with my DSLR again today, as I haven't used it on my tank for over a year. It is such a challenge shooting a reef tank, but I got a few I liked. Enjoy!

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Date Posted: February 16 2022 at 11:23am
It has been a couple years since my last post. Luckily, my tank is still kicking despite BJD taking out about 90% of my LPS 1.5 years ago. Things have stabilized and the survivors are growing better than ever. 

Here are some tank shots today, as I still want to document my tank despite the losses. This hobby really can try a person's patience. 

-------------
60g LPS Cube

Posted By: Gundy
Date Posted: February 20 2022 at 7:34pm
This hobby isn’t for those who lack patience and lots of ups and downs for most people. Tank is looking great. 

-------------
John Gunderson

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net