Print Page | Close Window

Mitch's 400+ gallon build

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: Tank Threads
Forum Description: A place to show off your tank build.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=80868
Printed Date: March 19 2024 at 3:41am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mitch's 400+ gallon build
Posted By: backwards32
Subject: Mitch's 400+ gallon build
Date Posted: September 11 2016 at 8:08am
Well the time has finally come when I can start building my dream tank. I bought a house a few weeks ago and of course I am designing the from room around the new tank. Here is a few pics to get us started.

So there will be a 300 gallon display tank 6x3x27" that will go against the right side of the picture separating the family room and kitchen. on the kitchen side the stand will include a high bar with bar stools.

Lighting: I plan on doing LED lighting of some kind but havent quite chosen which ones yet. I like those new Radion Gen4 but we will see. they will be hanging from a floating canopy to keep the open feel to the room.

Sump: directly below where the tank sits there is a large laundry room which is about to become a fish room. all the plumbing will run downstairs where the sump and all the filtration will be held. also there will be 2 more sectioned off tanks that are 4 feet long 18" tall and 18" deep. these will house my love for different kinds of clownfish.

well there will be a lot more pics and progress to come shortly but I am always open to ideas and suggestions as I go along.

-------------
Fish Food Direct
Great Food for half the price
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Replies:
Posted By: Marcoss
Date Posted: September 11 2016 at 8:11am
Congrats on the home and new build, Mitch! Excited to follow your progress.

-------------
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin

Posted By: bstuver
Date Posted: September 11 2016 at 4:34pm
Awesome can't wait to see the progress!

-------------
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Posted By: phys
Date Posted: September 12 2016 at 12:45am
Sweeeeeeet

Posted By: Mark Peterson
Date Posted: September 12 2016 at 7:20am
Fantastic. Thumbs Up

-------------
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Date Posted: September 19 2016 at 9:44pm

RO water system has been installed. it runs to a pressurized 5 gallon tank and then runs upstairs to feed a faucet in the kitchen and runs to the icemaker in the fridge.

eventually it will run to the water changing system when i get that set up

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Posted By: jdinchak
Date Posted: September 19 2016 at 9:51pm
Awesome.

-------------
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank

Posted By: PharmaSki
Date Posted: September 19 2016 at 10:10pm
Excited to see what you do with this!

-------------
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.
No, the blue lights at my house are not growing "pharmaceuticals"...

Date Posted: October 12 2016 at 9:21pm
Ok made some more progress today. finally got the rest of the wall taken out and all patched up.

on the right side of the picture there was a pantry over the stairs and the doors were facing north and the way it was set up only about half of the space was being used. thats also a problem because thats right where the fish tank is supposed to go. so i tore out the pantry and am now installing new doors that face west and will now be able to utilize the while space.

so needless to say my front room is still a construction zone but at least the project is coming along.

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: October 30 2016 at 11:38am
Ok i have made a little bit of progress over the past couple weeks. I know you guys are probably sick of seeing my house renovation pictures but it all part of the tank build. so here is my pantry all put back together and looking good

so now that is finished so I can tile the floor to get ready for the tank. in the meantime i have been designing the mechanical room in the basement. let me know what you think of this rough drawing.

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: October 31 2016 at 1:25am
Oh the suspense!

Date Posted: November 10 2016 at 10:04pm
So I cant even remember where I got this tank from but it must be from out of an old fish store. it is 8ft long and 12 inches tall and 15 inches deep.

Due to the small space I have in the laundry room I cut this bad boy in half and with offset and stick them one above the other. this will house frags and/or all different kinds of clownfish. I just need to glue on the end to seal it off. (thanks Mark for the glue)

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: November 13 2016 at 4:40pm
Ok a little more progress. I know this is house progress but that also means tank progress because I have to get the house ready for the tank. so here is the new lighting in the kitchen, with huge holes in the ceiling still haha.

also i have been doing some plans for the stand in the basement. so here is a sketch of what it will look like. I hope to get started on it on wednesday

the two shelves will hold the two long skinny tanks to house my clownfish. the lower shelf will be where the sump will be located.

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Posted By: Hogie
Date Posted: November 14 2016 at 9:53am
Following along.

Date Posted: November 16 2016 at 6:47pm
Ok made some great progress today. the stand for the tanks and sump downstairs is almost complete. here is a picture of the begginings of the construction.

ok so here is how far I got today. the framing is all complete i just need to put a peice of plywood on the tops. ( I had lots of little helpers)

here is how the tanks will sit on the stand and the sump will go on the left. I am happy with how it is turning out.

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: November 20 2016 at 8:10pm
OK the stand is completed. this is no Dion driftwood stand but i am really happy with how it turned out. now its time to start working on building the sump.

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Posted By: Hogie
Date Posted: November 21 2016 at 9:05am
sweet!

Posted By: Krazie4Acans
Date Posted: November 21 2016 at 10:37am
Are you concerned at all that the top tank is not supported out to the edges? It seams like you will get bowing in the plywood over time and may crack the tank above it due to pressure points in teh bottom instead of along the edge.

Is there some reason your sump isn't going under the lower frag tank instead of elevated off the floor on it's own stand?

Just asking questions.

-------------
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63568&title=krazies-nano-paradise" rel="nofollow - Tank Thread:

Date Posted: November 21 2016 at 11:05am
Ya so the front half of the top tank will be resting on the bottom tank to give it support, so it should be supported well enough.... I hope. I could add some support near the ends but the plumbing is right there and I have to work around that. I decided to put the sump on its own stand so it is easy to excess and i have to room so why not haha. For right now it is going to all be one unit but I could put a separate support underneath sop its a separate system.

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: November 21 2016 at 11:07am
Jeff we need to get together sometime and you can see if my though process makes sense so I don't make some silly mistake.

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: November 21 2016 at 11:31am
Ok, if the top tank is resting on the bottom tank then you should be good. I just saw a picture with a half suspended tank and almost choked. :)

Good answer on the sump question. I was just wondering why it was up in the air and off to the side. Let me know when you want to get together. I've got some time this week/weekend with this whole holiday thing going on.

-------------
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63568&title=krazies-nano-paradise" rel="nofollow - Tank Thread:

Posted By: immortal
Date Posted: November 27 2016 at 5:17pm
Can't wait to see how it turns out Smile

-------------
Immortal

Date Posted: November 28 2016 at 11:34pm
is it finished yet? goooooooooooooosssshhhhhh. lol

Date Posted: November 29 2016 at 7:18am
He still doesn't have a tank yet. lol I think he may be changing up his sump/frag setup a little. Or that's what a little bird told me.

-------------
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: Trevor40
Date Posted: December 02 2016 at 4:00pm
Looks awesome. I also have a dream tank that involves building the living area around the tank.

-------------
Call or Text (801)834-3119

Date Posted: December 11 2016 at 4:01pm
Made some great progress this week. I picked up a 120 gallon tank from Dennis with the bottom glass of the tank broken. using glass he gave me I cut it to size and repaired the bottom pane. a few days later i cut all the baffles and got them installed.

Also you may notice the sump stand is lower. after doing some more designing with jeff it was determined it needed to be lower for some of the plumbing to work.

The two section tanks needed the ends repaired because I had cut them in half. so I got some acrylic and tried my luck at repairing these two tanks. I have never done acrylic before so we will see how this goes.

wednesday I will be doing a water check to make sure the tanks actualy hold water haha. keep your fingers crossed.

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: December 22 2016 at 10:55pm
Ok time for an update. Jeff came over and helped me with a few design ideas. One of the things we decided needed to happen was to lower the sump closer to the ground so all the drain lines would work a little better.

I got all the baffles installed and will be drilling the side of the tank for my external pump. my kids really wanted to sit in the tank and it also gives a goof reference for how big this thing is.

So I bought a water changing system from Landon which was perfect because I had plans of making one just like this. so I got it all plumbed in and ready to go.

well next step is to fix a few electrical lines and do all the finish plumbing and get this baby filled up.

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: January 14 2017 at 8:04pm
Made some good progress today. I put plywood on the back wall so that way i can screw things in wherever I want. I also installed my shelf where alot of my reactors and things will go.    got the sump light installed and got some macro. the sump and quarantine tank is now up and running. now its time to get my apex all set up and all the reactors running.

Now that we have about 100 gallons of water at a low accessible level it was time to install a door to keep the kids out.

more update to come soon

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: April 21 2017 at 1:40pm
It's been a long time since you updated.

-------------
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: April 23 2017 at 2:50pm
OK its time for an update. I have been working really hard at getting this tank going there is just so much background house work that has to be done first. over the past month or so I have been working on doing tile on the floor so the tank has something solid to sit on.

as you can see we also decided to knock down another wall that was by the stairs going to the basement and put up a railing instead to further open up the kitchen. here is another pic with the tile all finished

ok another project that is all happening at the same time was removing the old sliding glass door and moving it 6 feet over to a new location. so the whole back of the house was removed for a short period of time.

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: April 23 2017 at 2:56pm
I was so excited to get all of these things done knowing that as soon as this house stuff was finished I could get my tank going. so I stayed up many late nights doing the grout and sealant on the tile. I finally picked up the stand and got it moved into place.

so everything is ready to go for the tank now which I will be picking up tomorrow. and then the fun begins. It will still be a slow process because I am also in the middle of building a 2 car garage on the side of the house, but at least it is actually setting up my dream tank.

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: April 24 2017 at 7:58am
Is your stand half on tile and half on carpet?

Man that's a full remodel! Really liking the new tile.

That had to be a little bit cold with no back wall. The new railing really opens up that side of the kitchen.

-------------
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: April 24 2017 at 9:40am
No the tile cuts into the front room a little bit to go under the whole stand. well luckily I was able to the back wall and rebuild it and install the sliding glass door all in one Saturday.

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: April 24 2017 at 9:46am
I hope it was one of the warm ones and not the ones when it snowed.

So what made you move the sliding glass door? Just being curious.

-------------
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: April 24 2017 at 12:03pm
it needed to be replaced anyway and we decided if we move it over we could add 2 more cabinets and add some more counter space.

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: April 24 2017 at 12:30pm
You keep it up and you won't even need that pantry above the stairs and it can be a fish closet!

-------------
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: May 09 2017 at 12:07pm
ok a lot of work went into the tank this weekend. first off I have decided to remove one of the corner overflows to make it more of a peninsula style tank.

while doing this i decided it would be better, now that the overflow is gone, to have the euro bracing go all the way to the corner for more support. so I cut out the old bracing and have ordered new glass to replace it. that should be here by the end of the week.

here is the pic with the overflow gone. It makes a huge difference in the viewing angles.

to accommodate for the loss of one of the overflows, I am going to make both holes in the other overflow as drains. my return lines will be coming up through the wall and then come out and into the top of the tank. I need to find a way to make this look nice and not too much like PVC coming out of the wall

finally the finishing touches were done on the stand and the high bar and ledge installed.

my wife is excited to get some bar stools to finish off the look.

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: May 09 2017 at 12:27pm
And leveled? Closed loop on the holes from the removed overflow? The high bar looks good.

-------------
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: May 10 2017 at 12:26pm
yes I made sure the tank is nice and level now. I have been thinking about the closed loop idea. I am worried I would be making more work and more potential for problems. If I need more flow in that corner I may put another powerhead.

If anyone is wondering why there are 2x4's in the tank it is braces because I had to repair the euro bracing on the top of tank.

I like the critical thinking though cause now is the time to make any changes by throwing out ideas. If anyone has any imput I am always up for fresh ideas.

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: May 10 2017 at 12:32pm
Nothing stopping you from adding the closed loop later. The bulkheads will already be there and you can plumb the whole thing in the stand and then remove the plugs on the top to install the intake stand pipe and the return nozzle.

No one wants to look at a powerhead on the end of a peninsula tank! You know you want to do one. lol

-------------
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: June 25 2017 at 5:47pm
Ok its been a while since I last did an update because progress has been very slow. but I guess slow and steady wins the race. the plumbing is all completed. the return line from the sump runs up inside the pantry wall and comes out near the top of the tank.

Here is a picture of the drain lines and all the other plumbing.

on the left is the return line coming from the tigerhead pump. it has a feedback loop that goes back into the sump in case i have too much pump pressure. following that line up I put in a valve again to dial in the pump as well as a check valve. then a T goess off to the manifold to hold some equipment.

on the right is the main drain line with a T and valve to be able to do a water change. and behind it is the back up drain.

also going in on the right side is the line from my water changing system and the drain on the holding tanks.

and just for fun here is a picture of the equiptment on the shelf. a calcium reactor, carbon and GFO reactor and a sulfer denitrator that I will be making.

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: June 25 2017 at 5:48pm
now its time to work on the aquascaping and get some water in this tank. anyone have some extra dry rock haha?

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: June 26 2017 at 7:36am
Looking nice. Looks like it's time to get it wet!

-------------
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: Jeepj667
Date Posted: June 26 2017 at 8:36am
FYI your check valve will only stop a little bit of water. The syphon will flow through your reactors on power loss.

-------------
Ryan
150 gal.

Date Posted: June 27 2017 at 9:03am
good point maybe I can put another check valve higher before the reactors

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: June 27 2017 at 9:31am
Just make sure you put it in a vertical section. They don't work well in angled plumbing.

You could always just close the manifold valve when you shut off the return as well but that isn't really automated for feeding or water changes.

-------------
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: July 19 2017 at 12:58pm
Ok this is an exciting update!   the tank actually has some water in it. In fact it is now full of water. I played around with the aquascapping for a few weeks just trying to find something I liked.

here is the tank as its filling up and almost full

I have had a little trouble with my pump. when i plugged it in it is just pulsating a shooting water in spurts. not sure what is going on there. I might have to open it up and see whats going on. but it sure does move a lot of water.

And I always have to throw in a little update on my house renovations. we got new countertops on friday

and the garage addition is really coming along well.

If anyone has any thoughts on this pump problem let me know.

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: July 19 2017 at 12:59pm
wow my pictures are all sorts of directions. sorry

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: July 19 2017 at 1:07pm
How do you keep the water from spilling out of your tank like that?

-------------
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: July 19 2017 at 1:09pm
someday I will teach you. And ill show you my amazing stand on the ceiling trick

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: July 19 2017 at 3:02pm
I already know about anti-gravity boots.

-------------
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: July 20 2017 at 10:07am
After looking closer at the pics above, I'm not as certain about what I said yesterday in your other thread about the issue with the return pump being electrical. It may be a plumbing problem.

The Reeflo Tiger Shark pump is a high volume pump that can push 8500 gals/hour at no head. That means it needs to have a constant supply of a large amount of water. Another way to say it is that it needs to have a straight shot at a huge reservoir of water. The piping from the pump to the reservoir should not have any turns or restrictions and should be the same or larger diameter as the pump intake, a diameter of 1.5". 

Have you heard of cavitation? Look it up or see the video below. Cavitation is when insufficient water is drawn into the pump so that the spinning impeller actually creates a very low pressure region around itself. The low pressure is enough to create bubbles of actual steam. The impeller then spins freely for a fraction of a second and the steam bubbles collapse. The output of the pump is momentarily reduced and a noticeable vibration is felt, usually accompanied by an audible banging/rumbling noise. The momentarily stopping of the flow allows new water to flow in and the pump then pushes water like it is supposed to. But then it sucks the water so fast again that it creates the low pressure zone leading again to cavitation. The cycle repeats continuously. If it continues long enough, the heat of the steam damages the impeller and volute housing. 

Sometimes, in order to supply these high volume pumps, the sump is double drilled with 1.5" holes and the pipe leading out of those holes is joined at a fitting just before the pump intake. As I mentioned above, for best/ideal operation, the plumbing must be a straight shot from the sump to the pump(no bends) and the distance must be as short as possible. If needed, I can come visit and help with the design and build. Otherwise, I'll send you the bill. Wink

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2017 at 9:14am
Ok so I got a different pump. its a reeflo hammerhead and it is installed and is really pushing a lot of water. I have never had a big pump like this and it is a little loud and is running very hot. not sure if this is just normal for these pumps. any thoughts?

the next step is getting some flow in the display tank. my thoughts are to put a gyre on the left side on the peninsula and maybe an MP 60 or equivalent near the drain side. does anyone have any other suggestions?

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: August 17 2017 at 9:31am
If you are just running it through the sump with just the bypass line then it's probably getting a little warm from the restriction in flow. See what it does once you have flow to the tank and some bypass as well. It will most likely quiet down and run a bit cooler once it can "breath".

A Gyre on the peninsula would be good although hard to hide it or the cords on that end. Maybe a closed loop using the bulkheads from the other overflow that was removed would be good? Giggle.

-------------
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: August 17 2017 at 10:25am
Same thing as the previous Tiger Shark pump, i.e., old bearings that are going bad, getting very hot and slowing down the motor. How do I know it's bearings? Look at the rust on that cowling. Bearings don't last forever. People always run these things noisy until they stop altogether, not knowing the pump needed to be repaired. How did this motor sound when it was run dry for a few minutes?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2017 at 11:02am
Could be true in some cases but probably not the case for this pump based on the source and history of the pump. Surface rust doesn't always mean lack of service.

Also the "pretty hot" is compared to the DC pumps and small AC pumps that this user has had in the past. Maybe we should have him put his apex temp probe on the pump and see if it's really hot or just hotter than other pumps he's used but well within normal operating temps for this pump?

-------------
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: August 28 2017 at 9:59am
Things feel like they are moving along finally. I ordered 2 titanium heaters. an 800W and a 300W. that may be overkill but so is everything else on the tank haha. so I have the 300W as the main heater and then the 800W comes on occasionally If the temp gets too low. both are controlled by my Apex.

I also got my lights and canopy all set up. there is 3 AI vegas and 2 AI hydras. I attached a plug strip in the canopy so there is only 1 wore coming out the top and into the ceiling. (which I havent run yet). it is looking really good and changed the whole look of the tank. its looks amazing.

the next step is to get some more water movement in the main display. I am thinking of putting a Gyre in the top of the peninsula end and maybe an MP 60 on the other end. any other suggestions? I thought of getting the neptune wave makers but not sure

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Posted By: knowen87
Date Posted: August 28 2017 at 10:33am
That stand is awesome. I like how the canopy hangs from the ceiling

Date Posted: September 12 2017 at 9:50am
Here is some eye candy of the lights all set up and running. this is my amazing view at night time

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Posted By: kevin.st
Date Posted: September 12 2017 at 10:03am
So nice!!

Posted By: Dion Richins
Date Posted: September 12 2017 at 10:57am
I have the gyre that was in that tank. I upgraded to the new one. Give me a shout.

-------------
http://www.customaquariumfurniture.com" rel="nofollow - Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Date Posted: September 12 2017 at 11:27am
Looking good! Glad to see it start coming together as well as the house getting put back together.

-------------
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: September 12 2017 at 4:32pm
looking at putting a royal gramma and a bengaii cardinal pair in to start.

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: November 28 2017 at 2:02pm
OK I havent done an update in a while but I have been doing a lot of behind the scenes work on the tank.

- added a dedicated 20Amp circuit to run just all my aquarium items. I addedaa GFCI to the line to help protect myself and everything.

- I got a Gyre and got that installed and that thing can move some water.

- I have 5 fish in there now, a pair of cardinals, a royal gramma, longnose hawkfish, and a yellow tang.

- got a few corals and a clam from fragfest.

- and then of coarse working on my house, which is pretty much fininshed up

so everything is really coming along well. I need to get the calcium reactor up and running as well as get an ATO. I have a breakout box for my APEX and may try and use that for an ATO.

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: November 28 2017 at 2:19pm
Umm, your garage is bigger than your house. Why isn't the fish room out there?

-------------
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: November 29 2017 at 8:01pm
I think someone else i know has about the same size garage with big heaters and a drain in it. too cold in the garage for a fish room. I like it where its at haha. jeff you need to come over some time and see this beauty

-------------
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Date Posted: November 30 2017 at 7:06am
I do for sure! Plus I need to visit my little friend. I miss her.

-------------
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: December 03 2017 at 5:02am
Nice!!!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net