Print Page | Close Window

My 40 Gallon - New Pictures!

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Description: Posts that don't fit in any of the other categories.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38114
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 11:15pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: My 40 Gallon - New Pictures!
Posted By: Ryan Thompson
Subject: My 40 Gallon - New Pictures!
Date Posted: January 22 2010 at 1:49pm
Well the time has come for me to start a build thread on my new tank. This tank has honestly been in the making for probably the last 2.5 years. So I am super excited to get it going.

Here is the equipment list so far:

Tank: 40 Gallon Breeder
Sump: 20 Tall
Stand: Home made
Lights: ATI Sunpower 4x24W (2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Aquablue and 1 KZ Fiji Purple)
Skimmer: Bubble Magus NAC6
Return Pump: Quiet One 2200 (for now)
Powerheads: Voretch MP10w ES
Plumbing: Herbie style drain with an emergency backup drain
Controller: RK Lite Level 1

My lights will be ordered next week and I hope to have them by next Friday at the lastest. I also ordered my hole saw and some bulkheads and they should arrive next week also. So if anyone can help drill a tank I would love the help!

I will be dosing Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7 and Vodka to this tank. I have been dosing vodka in my sump that is curing rock right now and it is incredible how much better the skimmer performs when I dose vodka.

Ok enough of me talking let's get to the next post and I will show the progress so far.

Thanks for looking!

Replies:
Date Posted: January 22 2010 at 1:50pm
So here is the stand build. I did miss a few steps when taking pictures. I sanded all the corners and rounded them to look a little distressed and beat up. I then painted 2 coats of green and then 2 coats of black. When I distressed it after painting, the green show through very nicelySmile

The stand is roughly 30 inches tall and is perfect height to work in the tank comfortably. I didn't want to get out a stool every time I worked on the tank but I also didn't want back problems from always bending over to look at the tank.

Now for the pics:

The stand with some of the shell put on.

Added some molding....I measured wrong and had to run to Home Depot to buy some moreWacko

First coat of green:

Second coat of green:

That is all the pictures I have for now. I somehow skipped taking pictures with the black painted on. Right now the stand is all finished and has been coated with a protective finish. I painted the inside and sealed it all off with three coats of protective sealer to help with the humidity and water drips inside the stand.

It took me 5 or 6 days to complete the whole thing and I am VERY happy how it all turned out! Big smile

I will get pictures of the completed stand this weekend sometime.

Posted By: jwoo
Date Posted: January 22 2010 at 2:04pm
Oh wow looks like a certain place froze over!

You've been talking about this since I got on the board. LOL

-------------
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront

Posted By: Jeremyw
Date Posted: January 22 2010 at 2:06pm
i just had a small heat attack then I realized there arent pictures so this cant be real! Wink

-------------
Next meeting:

Date Posted: January 22 2010 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by woottonjeremy woottonjeremy wrote:

i just had a small heat attack then I realized there arent pictures so this cant be real! Wink

Jeremy you need to refresh the page and check again! I just put pictures of the stand build.

Date Posted: January 22 2010 at 2:33pm
You up loaded those 4 min after I posted dork! But hey looks good! 

-------------
Next meeting:

Date Posted: January 22 2010 at 3:01pm

You up loaded those 4 min after I posted dork! But hey looks good! 

I know! LOL I reserved the second post for pictures and then had to upload all those.

Thanks for the compliment!

Posted By: Jeffs_little_ocean
Date Posted: January 22 2010 at 3:10pm
Are you going to drill the tank?

-------------
Life is good....right?

Date Posted: January 22 2010 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Jeffs_little_ocean Jeffs_little_ocean wrote:

Are you going to drill the tank?

Yes I ordered the drill bit last night and it was shipped today. I will drill through the bottom for the main drain and haven't decided where I will drill the emergency drain. It will either be in the bottom by the main drain or on the back at the top.

I am gonna build my own overflow box with Burt when he returns from Idaho.

Posted By: Corey Price
Date Posted: January 22 2010 at 10:56pm
Um, not enough drama. The thread needs something, like a difference of opinions...

(looks great)

Date Posted: January 27 2010 at 2:23pm
Well since I had Monday off I took the time to drill the holes in my tank for the drains and return. Overall it turned out pretty good for my first time ever drilling glass. I did learn some lessons though. I should have drilled opposite of what I did. I drilled from the bottom and into the tank. It chipped the glass where the gaskets will sit so I will have to use some silicone to make sure I don't have any leaks. Here is the picture of it all completed.

I will be getting my bulkheads this week along with the black acrylic to make my overflow box. Also my lights are supposed to be ordered this week!

One step closer.

Date Posted: January 27 2010 at 2:26pm
Is that a crack on the right hand hole that goes from the whole to the back of the tank? 

-------------
Next meeting:

Date Posted: January 27 2010 at 2:28pm
No it isn't even though it looks like it. That is the first hole I did and the bit jumped on me and scratched the glass. It isn't as bad as the picture makes it look. When I run my fingers over it you can barely feel it.

Posted By: fishoutawater
Date Posted: January 27 2010 at 2:29pm
Going very very slowly with the bit, especially in the last half of the hole will reduce that chipping quite a bit. For the next build, there's always another build. Is this an SPS tank?

-------------
Some day, when I grow up,...

Date Posted: January 27 2010 at 2:36pm
Thanks Mike! That is one of the lessons I learned. Drilling glass is a piece of cake. I just rushed it this time but know now for next time.

Yes this will be probably 80% SPS and the rest LPS. There will be no softies except some Ricordeas (if those even count as a softie).

Date Posted: February 01 2010 at 6:03pm
Alright well I have some updates for everyone.

I took some pictures of the stand being totally finished. I also took pictures of the overflow that Burt and I built on Saturday.

We made the overflow out of 3/16" black acrylic. Learned some very valuable lessons from the whole thing though. Use at least 1/4" thick acrylic and do NOT heat the acrylic for too long.

As Burt and I were staring at our fine work we heard two loud "pops". Burt and I were totally confused at where the sound came from. Upon further investigation we found 2 cracks running horizontally through one of the bends. As Burt was patching them up, another loud pop and a third crack. huh!!!OMG!!!!SOB!@##$

So I call Eric at Marine Aquatics and ask him what could have caused that. Very first thing he says is "HEAT". So I tell him how we made it and he is 99% sure the cracks were from us heating the acrylic too long. So don't overheat acrylic if bending.

I am simply gonna silicone up the crack so water can't leak through. I have bent and tugged on the overflow to see if I can get it to crack anymore and it won't. I am 99% positive the thing is safe and will still use it. We will find out on the FW test, I guess. LOL

Also my lights are officially ordered and should arrive this week. I changed my mind and went with the 6x24W version instead of the 4 bulb version.

Plumbing supplies are on the way and as soon as I silicone in the bulkheads and the overflow it will be time for the FW test! I am really excited to be to this point.

Date Posted: February 01 2010 at 6:08pm
Pictures of the last week of progress...

Posted By: ksmart
Date Posted: February 01 2010 at 7:21pm
Looking good! 

-------------

Posted By: Crazy Tarzan
Date Posted: February 01 2010 at 9:28pm
One of my favorite sizes for a tank--has the same width vs height vs length as a 120 one of my other favorites.  I miss mine, but the next one will either be a custom black silicone tank or a 50 gal (same as 40, just a little taller).  

Looks awesome, don't let my wife see it--I'll have to have ryan over to build the stand for me.

-------------
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing

Posted By: Nick801
Date Posted: February 01 2010 at 11:31pm
Man it looks sweet =) what did you do to bend the overflow? just toss it in the oven or?

-------------
http://www.reefinsanity.com" rel="nofollow - www.ReefInsanity.com
http://www.facebook.com/ReefInsanity" rel="nofollow - www.Facebook.com/ReefInsanity
801-680-4676

Date Posted: February 02 2010 at 12:44am
Thanks everyone! Big smile

Nick,

No you don't put in the oven. That would ruin the acrylic IMO. In the above pictures you will see an orange strip. That is a heating strip and that is what you use to heat the acrylic. Just do NOT leave the heat on too long. 5 minutes or so is plenty long.

Posted By: Luckedout
Date Posted: February 02 2010 at 1:05am
Why did you bend it versus just cutting the pieces and putting them together that way? Just curious. 

-------------
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Posted By: Mark Peterson
Date Posted: February 02 2010 at 9:20am
Because it's easy to bend and can look better than a glued joint.

-------------
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Posted By: fishoutawater
Date Posted: February 02 2010 at 9:37am
I have used the oven to heat and bend acrylic several times, I have never had any problems with it.

-------------
Some day, when I grow up,...

Date Posted: February 02 2010 at 9:42am
RYAN i dont like it not one bit! OK OK i do like it ! Looks good! That is one big overflow for such a small tank I LIKE IT !

-------------
Next meeting:

Date Posted: February 02 2010 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Luckedout Luckedout wrote:

Why did you bend it versus just cutting the pieces and putting them together that way? Just curious. 

Mark nailed it. It looks better to me and much much easier than cutting a gluing. I wanted to be as close to a coast to coast that I could without taking up the whole tank.

Also not have a "wall" on the sides will really help with flow IMO. Kind of like if you go to Abravanel Hall and everything is curved. There are no 90 degree angles to block sound. I think the same principle applies here. The flow will bounce off the curves and not get stuck in a corner.

Date Posted: February 02 2010 at 12:05pm

RYAN i dont like it not one bit! OK OK i do like it ! Looks good! That is one big overflow for such a small tank I LIKE IT !

It is big but it isn't. It doesn't take up all that much real estate and that was my goal. My drains and return are all hidden nicely inside the overflow.

Date Posted: February 02 2010 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

Thanks everyone! Big smile

Nick,

No you don't put in the oven. That would ruin the acrylic IMO. In the above pictures you will see an orange strip. That is a heating strip and that is what you use to heat the acrylic. Just do NOT leave the heat on too long. 5 minutes or so is plenty long.

where did you get that heat strip =)?

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/ReefInsanity" rel="nofollow - www.Facebook.com/ReefInsanity
801-680-4676

Date Posted: February 02 2010 at 12:29pm
That is Burt's heat strip. I think he got it from Home Depot for like $20 or something. It was the 24", 55 Watt version. It gets really hot so be careful. If you are serious about bending acrylic I would go buy some scraps and practice first.

I would also call Eric and talk to him a little bit. It is very easy once you know how to do it.

Date Posted: February 02 2010 at 12:43pm
Sounds good....

-------------
801-680-4676

Date Posted: February 11 2010 at 4:23pm
Well I have had a busy couple weeks lately. Between work and a wedding things are hectic for sure.

I got all the plumbing completed. I had to order an extra bulkhead and it showed up yesterday. I installed it and then did a FW test on the system. The Herbie drain is TOTALLY silent and the emergency pipe worked perfectly.

So this morning I installed the overflow that Burt and I built. It looks Da#$ good! I taped off the overflow and glass and then siliconed it. When I removed the tape it left perfect straight lines and no mess. Looks like a professional did it IMO. LOL

Any ways my light was supposed to be ordered on Monday but I haven't heard a confirmation on that. I need to build the light fixture hangers and then this tank will be ready to go!

I will have some pics up tonight of all the plumbing and the overflow installed.

Date Posted: February 17 2010 at 3:52pm
Well I got the sand in the tank and added some LR to get things going. The FW test passed with no issues, so I was happy to see that. Right now the tank is running in my basement and is extremely cloudy. I didn't rinse the CaribSea sand that I put in because I was just gonna let my Magnum HOT filter and Filter sock clean out the dust. I couldn't find any of my filter socks and the Magnum wouldn't work! Angry

So I went to Reef Runners and grabbed a filter sock and called Marineland to troubleshoot the filter. The impeller just needed to be soaked in vinegar for a little bit. Everything is up and running and I go down stairs a couple times a day and blast all the rocks and sand to stir up the dust. Hopefully it clears most of it out in a week or so.

Here are the latest pics:

I am still waiting on the freaking light! I am starting to get pissed because that is holding everything up right now. I can't sell my tank I have now until the new one comes in. I also need to build the hanging kit for the fixture and need some measurements.

Thanks for lookingSmile

Date Posted: February 26 2010 at 3:01pm
I thought I would give a quick update on here since I know everyone is anxiously awaiting one.....NOT!

The lights should be here today and I am more than likely gonna sell them on RC. I measured some things wrong and the 6 bulb will be too wide for my tank. Plus I want to run the PAR38 LED bulbs on this tank.

So my new lighting will be an ATI Sunpower in the 4x24W version with 3 PAR38 LED bulbs using 80 degree optics. Each LED bulb will highlight its' own island of corals. It should be way sweet!

Oh yeah I will be putting together an order for the LED bulbs so we can all get discount pricing on them, if anyone is interested.

Posted By: Pete Moss
Date Posted: April 01 2010 at 5:04pm
Thats an awesome build. Not gonna lie. If I ever decide to build my own tank I know who to go to for some help :) I wanted to build a 55 saltwater. I guess this is just as expensive as buying a tank off of someone however, this way you can have it done EXACTLY how you want it.

Date Posted: April 02 2010 at 12:44am
Thanks!

The tank has been so much fun and now I am just letting it do its' thing. Keeping my hands out.

I will take pictures tomorrow night for sure after I add in all the new frags I am getting. I got my Vortech MP10w ES. Best money ever spent in this hobby. The ATI is a really close 2nd place. Just having the ability to totally control my flow is priceless.

There is not another pump on the market that even comes close in comparison.

Pics tomorrow!

Posted By: kellerexpress
Date Posted: April 05 2010 at 4:56am
Tank is looking good bro, when I upgrade ill probably go with something just like this.  I just got my vortech10w ES too, I had the older version mp10 but wanted the new driver.  Sweet pump I love it! Is 1 pump enough for your 40g or are you going to use 2?  

-------------
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2

Date Posted: April 05 2010 at 6:00pm
Thanks keller!

I really need to get the pics up with how the tank looks now. I had a busy weekend and had no chance to take pictures. That and I really don't like my bulb combo. In the beginning I was gonna add some LED's but that has been put on hold for now. They were gonna be the extra blue that the GE bulb took out. Now I am gonna order an ATI Aquablue to make the tank more 14k.

I LOVE my Vortech. It is just awesome. The one is enough but I will add a second. 2 pumps is always better than one IMO. If one ever breaks or needs work then I have the other to use. I set mine on Lagoon mode at like 90% or so. When I get my second I will probably use the Tidal Swell Mode and turn them down. I like the idea of them running slower, less heat and less wear on the motor.

Date Posted: April 05 2010 at 11:52pm
What the heck.... you can't rename the topic "lighting started" with no pics!
and is this thing set up in the basement or did you move it to your room yet =)??

-------------
801-680-4676

Date Posted: April 06 2010 at 4:49am
so why did you decide to put a hold on the led's?  I was looking forward to seeing those bad boys up and running....

-------------
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2

Date Posted: April 06 2010 at 11:45am
I decided a Vortech was a better purchase right now.

I also found out that Nano Tuners is coming out with the MR16 bulb which is like half the size of the PA38 and will work better for my application. I don't really need the PAR from the LED's. I want them for the color they will bring to the tank.

Posted By: superman1981
Date Posted: April 07 2010 at 1:58am
I hate to say this... I really really really do... but Ryan, it's looking good. You may have gotten something right for the first time in your life

-------------
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78639&title=tims-65-gallon-build" rel="nofollow - build thread

Date Posted: April 07 2010 at 10:49am
Tim,

Being your friend was something right! NOT! LOL

I am moving to Orem soon so we need to go get some Tacos.

Date Posted: April 07 2010 at 11:04am

Tim,

Wait you are moving to Orem? Guess it's time to pack the family up and move out of this city!

-------------
None at the moment

Date Posted: April 07 2010 at 11:05am
Originally posted by jwoo jwoo wrote:

Tim,

Wait you are moving to Orem? Guess it's time to pack the family up and move out of this city!

Dang straight it is! I am coming in attacking with T5 light sabers.

Date Posted: April 08 2010 at 5:54pm
Wait Jwoo, you live here too? I thought Ryan was going to bring down the caliber of our fine city. Now that I know you're here, I'm not so anti-Ryan moving in... I mean it's not like we can get any worse

-------------

6 gal nanocube
65 gal http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78639&title=tims-65-gallon-build" rel="nofollow - build thread

Date Posted: April 08 2010 at 6:55pm
Afraid I do. Even more afraid now that I know you do as well. I fear that this city is officially doomed.

-------------
None at the moment

Date Posted: April 09 2010 at 10:58am
Worst case scenario, we can all roast marshmallows on its ashes... I bet Ryan will use a 48" T5 instead of a bent-up wire hanger, to roast his mallows on...

-------------

6 gal nanocube

Date Posted: April 20 2010 at 12:37pm
So what's the story here? How come no updates?! I want to see some new pics!

-------------
None at the moment

Date Posted: April 20 2010 at 12:45pm
A couple things of why there has been zero updates.

1) Planning a wedding is taking all my extra time. I am so sick of it!

2) I hate the color combo on my T5's right now. I need to switch out the GE 6500 for an ATI Aquablue Special or I may even go with the KZ New Generation 14k bulb.

I had originally planned to add some Blue LED's but that isn't going to happen so I need to get a new bulb. I asked Skyler to get me one so hopefully he orders soon. If not I am just gonna do an order myself.

Date Posted: April 20 2010 at 12:48pm
Who cares about the color right now? Snap a few quick pics! I want to see how it all worked out. Take pretty full colored pictures later, do the down and dirty now!

-------------
None at the moment

Date Posted: April 20 2010 at 12:55pm
Alright, just for you! I will snap a few FTS when I get home and a few of my corals. I ended up getting some of the Vida Rock and made a SPS station with it. The nicest thing is that I can take the whole rock out and frag off what I want outside of the tank and then just put it back. I really like the Vida Rock too.

Date Posted: April 20 2010 at 2:49pm
Hey Ryan, does Vita-Rock grow coraline like regular live rock? Also how does it compare for filtration like say Utah Rock that has been in a tank for the same amount of time?

-------------

6 gal nanocube

Date Posted: April 20 2010 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by superman1981 superman1981 wrote:

Hey Ryan, does Vita-Rock grow coraline like regular live rock? Also how does it compare for filtration like say Utah Rock that has been in a tank for the same amount of time?

Yes it will grow coraline algae just fine. Mine hasn't started but that is fine by me. I hate the stuff.

The rock is so freaking porous! It was still releasing air after a few days in the tank and I even swirled it all around to get air out. I would think it will do the same filtration as Utah rock or LR from the ocean.

The nice thing is that it comes in all sorts of shapes and they usually have nice little places to attach corals. It looks a little unnatural but I really like it. It makes my tank different than the other 200 tanks on here ya know? Once the corals start growing out and algae takes over it will fit right in.

It is also nice to know that no hitch hikers are coming in with it.

Posted By: Ahanix
Date Posted: April 20 2010 at 3:03pm
How much does the vita rock currently run?  I wouldn't mind using it in my tank upgrade late summer

Date Posted: April 20 2010 at 3:19pm
I think they usually sell it for like 3 dollars a pound or something but I could be way off. I got mine from The Aquarium so I drastically overpaid for it.

Date Posted: April 21 2010 at 2:42am
Ok here are the pics! The colors are a little washed out but you get the setup idea. I would say the overall color is 12k and I hate it. Will be switching that up soon for a more blue look.

Posted By: bugzme
Date Posted: April 21 2010 at 7:12am
Wow looks great! I really like the aquascaping

-------------
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!

Posted By: Deluxe247
Date Posted: April 21 2010 at 8:54am
Ditto.  that rockwork rules!  Do you have jumpers?  is that the reason for the screen over the top?

-------------
90G Mixed Reef

Date Posted: April 21 2010 at 9:31am
looks as horrible as when i saw it. Deluxe he has a wrasse in there. So the kole isnt there eh? Looks good ryan. Oh ryan looks like you need a clean up crew.... that sand is pretty brown... I know where you can get a cuc at

-------------
Next meeting:

Date Posted: April 21 2010 at 10:15am
Originally posted by bugzme bugzme wrote:

Wow looks great! I really like the aquascaping

Thanks!

Originally posted by Deluxe247 Deluxe247 wrote:

Ditto.  that rockwork rules!  Do you have jumpers?  is that the reason for the screen over the top?

Yes I have a flasher wrasse in there. I also plan many more wrasses and a pearly jawfish. I have had almost every type of fish jump so I love having the net.

Originally posted by disneymania disneymania wrote:

looks as horrible as when i saw it. Deluxe he has a wrasse in there. So the kole isnt there eh? Looks good ryan. Oh ryan looks like you need a clean up crew.... that sand is pretty brown... I know where you can get a cuc at

The Kole died about a week into the tank. I am done trying to keep herbivores. They never live in my tanks so I am going with carnivores from now on. Yes I do need a CUC pretty bad. Skyler was supposed to bring me in some "special" snail but I never heard from him on it.

What do you have?

Date Posted: April 21 2010 at 10:16am
Looks good! What bulbs are you running right now? It looks more 14K to me than 12K.

-------------
None at the moment

Date Posted: April 21 2010 at 10:19am

Looks good! What bulbs are you running right now? It looks more 14K to me than 12K.

ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
GE 6500K
ATI Blue Plus

It is definitely 12k if not 10k. The color isn't represented correctly. I played with the white balance but my camera is a cheap point and shoot and only has so many options.

The combo of 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 KZ Fiji Purple and 1 ATI Aquablue is almost identical to a Phoenix 14k that is a little overdriven.

Date Posted: April 21 2010 at 10:24am
did you have to order the vida rock? does the aquarium have a good selection?

-------------
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User

Date Posted: April 21 2010 at 10:25am
Ryan was it a trochus snail he was going to get in? I have asteras, hermits, nerits, nass. Starfish, cuccumbers, you name it I have it all but trochus snails.

-------------
Next meeting:

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: April 21 2010 at 10:33am

I had originally planned to add some Blue LED's but that isn't going to happen so I need to get a new bulb. I asked Skyler to get me one so hopefully he orders soon. If not I am just gonna do an order myself.

Hey Ryan! Did you ever think to call to see if I had your bulb in? I have it so come get it before I decide to sell it. LOL

Date Posted: April 21 2010 at 10:50am
Originally posted by snailson snailson wrote:

Hey Ryan! Did you ever think to call to see if I had your bulb in? I have it so come get it before I decide to sell it. LOL

No I thought you would text me or something! I didn't know you even placed the order.

Date Posted: April 21 2010 at 10:54am
Originally posted by disneymania disneymania wrote:

Ryan was it a trochus snail he was going to get in? I have asteras, hermits, nerits, nass. Starfish, cuccumbers, you name it I have it all but trochus snails.

That is the one. He just said he would bring some in when he placed an order for them.

I may come get some snails from you but am not sure when I can this week.

Date Posted: April 21 2010 at 11:02am
Oh and I haven't placed an order for those snails. I will leave your bulb with Jeremy today as well, so you can get it at the earliest time for you.

Date Posted: May 16 2010 at 3:29pm
Well just a quick update on my tank.

Skyler got me the ATI Aquablue a few weeks ago and it really helped with making the tank color up and look bluer. However I am not totally loving it as it washes out colors pretty heavy when all bulbs are on. I love to watch my tank when only the ATI Blue Plus and KZ Fiji Purple bulbs are on.

I am thinking of switching out the Aquablue for a KZ New Generation bulb. I have been told that it is right between the Aquablue and Blue Plus so that should do the trick for me.

I moved the tank on Thursday to my new home and haven't set the rock up as of yet. I plan to mess around with all that tonight and tomorrow when I can. I am glad to say though that not a SINGLE thing died in the transfer. A few things were stressed and lost a little color but things are looking good now and I can't believe the growth I am seeing. The supposedly "slow growing" SPS are growing very nicely. My ORA Pearlberry has almost totally encrusted its plug, same with my Tyree Pink Lemonade.

Well that is all the news I have for now. I will get the rock setup soon and snap some pics when I can.

Thanks!

Date Posted: May 16 2010 at 3:59pm
Are you talking about the super blue?

-------------
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User

Date Posted: May 16 2010 at 5:41pm
No I am talking about the KZ New Generation. It is like a 14-15k bulb that is great for stand alone. It may also be called the Koral Light II.

So I was just looking at the glass on my tank and I have flatworms! I have NO idea where they came from. I haven't added anything to the tank in over a month and I never saw them before the move.

The good thing is they are only on the glass as far as I can see. I studied every coral with my wife and we didn't see them on any corals or moving on any rocks, just the glass. I will still get some Flatworm Exit more than likely and dose the tank just to kill the buggers.

I am stumped as to where they came from. Has any one else ever just had them "pop" up? I mean 2 months in and they just now show? Even when I haven't added a single thing. No new rock, no new corals, I didn't share water, no new equipment even.

My next fish purchase is a yellow coris wrasse. Hopefully it will eat them for me. Maybe my flasher wrasse will eat them?!?

Date Posted: May 16 2010 at 11:38pm
Ryan! post more pics =) 

-------------
801-680-4676

Date Posted: May 17 2010 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Nick801 Nick801 wrote:

Ryan! post more pics =) 

Did you read my above post??? Tongue

I will get some when the tank settles in a little more. I finished the rock work tonight but am not totally loving it. I HATE the big old plugs that ORA uses. I am gonna have to chop up my frags into in micro frags so I can glue them to the rock.

Date Posted: June 30 2010 at 4:10am
updates?

-------------
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2

Date Posted: June 30 2010 at 10:06am
Nothing too crazy.

I took some pics about 3 weeks ago but they turned out like crap. No matter what I do, I can't get good pictures with my crappy camera.

I finished the rock work for now but would like to buy a little bit more to make a lower level in the front of the tank.

All of my SPS are doing great and growing really well. The colors on them are really starting to come out. I actually need to frag up my Green Slimer. It grows extremely fast and has great color to it.

I added a Harlequin Shrimp about a month ago and it killed all of the Asterina stars so I bought it a chocolate chip starfish to eat. Unfortunately the chocolate chip was too big and the Harlequin went for a ride around the tank. It got too close to the Vortech and the Harlequin got sucked in and it killed it. So I had to take the starfish out and threw it away.

I added some frags of my Dad's hammer. It is the bright green tip hammer. He has had it for over 2 years and it has grown from 4 heads to over 30 and we have fragged it twice. I have one frag in my tank and need to sell the other now. I am just letting it grow a little bit before posting it. It was on the under side of the colony and didn't get much light.

That's about all I think. I am still dosing vodka and using Bulk Reef Supply's 2 part plus magnesium. I dose 15 drops of Vodka a day and about 10mL of each 2 part solution a day. My numbers stay solid every time I test.

I run my tank at:

Alk - 8dkh
Cal - 430ppm
Mg - ~1400ppm
Temp - 76.3 - 80 (the summer is really making my temps swing)
Sg - 1.025-26

That's it I think.

Date Posted: June 30 2010 at 10:53am
I still need to come see your tank!  Finally picked up my breeder and will be building the stand this weekend (I hope), is there anything you wish you would have done differently with your stand when you built it?

Posted By: Chris Scott
Date Posted: June 30 2010 at 2:40pm
Hi Ryan,

I like the screen you have on top.  I had a glass cover, but my light made it heat up and cracked it within a few days!  :(  

Did you make the screen yourself?  Is it just window screening?

Thanks,
Chris

-------------
55g Bowfront Corner Reef

Date Posted: June 30 2010 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Ahanix Ahanix wrote:

I still need to come see your tank!  Finally picked up my breeder and will be building the stand this weekend (I hope), is there anything you wish you would have done differently with your stand when you built it?

I absolutely love my stand! The only thing I may have changed is the height. It is like 30 inches or so so you have to lean over to look into the tank. However my tank is at the end of my bed so I just lay down and stare at it, lol.

I wanted a taller stand but I also didn't want to overpower my tank. Tall stands on short tanks look dumb imo. It totally over powers the tank and takes away overall. JMO

You are more than welcome to come check it out. You would find things you like and things you don't.

Date Posted: June 30 2010 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Chris Scott Chris Scott wrote:

Hi Ryan,
I like the screen you have on top.  I had a glass cover, but my light made it heat up and cracked it within a few days!  :(  
Did you make the screen yourself?  Is it just window screening?
Thanks,
Chris

I'm at work currently so I don't have the link I need. It is not window screen material. It is clear netting that you have buy specifically from a guy on reef2reef. I think that burt here locally may have some. Nick801 ordered mine for me.

You then buy a window screen frame kit from home depot and build it. Extremely easy and very worth it.

Posted By: Chris Scott
Date Posted: June 30 2010 at 4:41pm
I have a bowfront corner tank, so making the frame will be a little tougher, but I bet I could do it!  I'll PM Nick801.  Thanks!

-------------
55g Bowfront Corner Reef

Date Posted: June 30 2010 at 4:54pm
Hey Ryan did any ever tell you that you have scratches on your stand and that you need to repaint it?

Date Posted: June 30 2010 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by snailson snailson wrote:

Hey Ryan did any ever tell you that you have scratches on your stand and that you need to repaint it?

LOL

Date Posted: September 01 2010 at 11:22pm
Well I took a couple pictures tonight real quick. Actually the wife did for me. Thought I would post them on here.

My new bulbs are in town and I am just trying to set up a time to meet Skyler. Only took 6 weeks! LOL

ORA Green Birdsnest

Green Slimer - grows like a weed and is in 2 spots in my tank.

Orange Slice Acans - color is hard to pick up with just the Fiji Purple and Blue Plus on. They really are orange.

Tri Color Acro

Posted By: bstuver
Date Posted: September 01 2010 at 11:41pm
I really like that birdsnest! One of these days I will have to get me one:)

-------------
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Date Posted: October 31 2010 at 1:42am
Figured it was time for a small update.

I got another Vortech MP10 in the tank. These powerheads are amazing! I thought one was nice but two is way better. I have them both run around 60% or so and they provide plenty of flow for my tank.

I have been fighting Red Bugs for quite some time now. I originally took out all affected corals and dipped them in Revive. This initially worked but they came back. I then found a vet to sell me Interceptor. I did the three week dosage and killed 99% of them. I lost all my crabs and my sexy shrimp during this. Well that 1% made a come back and switched corals to attack. I just dosed 10x the recommended amount (a full pill on 50 gallons of water volume) and it knocked them right out. Since red bugs have a 5 day life cycle, I will dose again next week to kill any new hatchlings. I will dose a 3rd and probably 4th week to make sure these buggers are gone for good this time.

I took a couple quick pictures to post. The color is TERRIBLE! I didn't focus white balance or anything. I had about 30 seconds to take the pictures before I had to leave for a party. If anyone has ANY tips on how to get better pics please let me know. The point and shoot I have is garbage. Would love a Nikon D60 or something but would have to sell the tank to fund one! LOL

Anyway here they are.

Date Posted: October 31 2010 at 2:39am
Looks great man =)

-------------
801-680-4676

Date Posted: October 31 2010 at 5:16am
Tank is looking great, corals are growing in.

-------------
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2

Posted By: Reefboy4life
Date Posted: October 31 2010 at 10:45am
Fantastic Clap

-------------
90 gallon mixed reef

Posted By: reefguru
Date Posted: October 31 2010 at 7:48pm
cool tank

Posted By: ejcatmul
Date Posted: November 01 2010 at 11:05pm
Reefguru huh, interresting user name!

-------------

"Noob"

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:19am
Time for a quick update! These pics are a little better but still not great. I used the white balance and it took out all of the blue so I added some blue back in with Picasa.

Was told this is a Blue Tenius but I know it isn't. Any other ID would be great.

Green Tenius

Lobophyllia

Orange Milli from Aquatic Dreams! I now have pink, blue, orange and green millis. The greens are tan and ugly though.

AD Strawberry Shortcake from Australia. Got this from Ryan at Aquatic Dreams as well. Probably my favorite piece when you see it in person.

This is a test coral. It should be blueish with some pink but lost all color when I lost it in my rockwork. I found it the other day and am now coloring it back up.

Tyree Pink Lemonade - washed out because of camera

That is everything for now. Hoping Santa brings me a nice Canon DSLR camera for Christmas.

Posted By: Sahin
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:43am
Hi Ryan! Smile I joined here because of your tank! 

Your tank looks very nice.  I now see what you mean about the camera...hopefully Santa will get you a Nikon D60.

Are the coral colours as good as they ought to be?  - Silly question, but what I mean is this: Most of the beautiful coral colours are seen with tanks that run 8 to 10 T5 tubes.  Obviously you dont have the tank depth to use more tubes, so with 4 tubes do you feel the colours are as quite good, or do you feel colour is lacking.

I wish your camera was good at taking photos because I could have simply seen the actual colour from the photos.

I am setting up a 30L x 20W x 18H rimless with starfire glass, BM NAC6 Skimmer, ATI 6x24watt Sunpower and 2xVortech MP10's for flow.  Its sort of similar to your tank.

Last question; do you get thick dry dark skimmate from the NAC6 Skimmer?  I read good reviews of this skimmer, but not seen any photos of the skimmate when its properly run in.

Thanks for your reply.

Do post some new photos in 2011 once you have your new camera...shout to Ryans wife/girlfriend: get him a new Camera for Xmas!

Posted By: tileman
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:46am
Your tank is looking really nice Ryan.  

-------------
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&

Posted By: BobC63
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 12:36pm
Your tank looks really sweet, Ryan Clap

I have the same camera problems as you - my corals look 10X better in person than in photos

I'd love to find a camera that gives decent white / color balance and has a good, crisp closeups feature that doesn't cost $500 - $1000+ Ouch

-------------
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Date Posted: November 18 2010 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Sahin Sahin wrote:

Hi Ryan! Smile I joined here because of your tank!  Your tank looks very nice.  I now see what you mean about the camera...hopefully Santa will get you a Nikon D60.Are the coral colours as good as they ought to be?  - Silly question, but what I mean is this: Most of the beautiful coral colours are seen with tanks that run 8 to 10 T5 tubes.  Obviously you dont have the tank depth to use more tubes, so with 4 tubes do you feel the colours are as quite good, or do you feel colour is lacking.I wish your camera was good at taking photos because I could have simply seen the actual colour from the photos.I am setting up a 30L x 20W x 18H rimless with starfire glass, BM NAC6 Skimmer, ATI 6x24watt Sunpower and 2xVortech MP10's for flow.  Its sort of similar to your tank.Last question; do you get thick dry dark skimmate from the NAC6 Skimmer?  I read good reviews of this skimmer, but not seen any photos of the skimmate when its properly run in.Thanks for your reply.Do post some new photos in 2011 once you have your new camera...shout to Ryans wife/girlfriend: get him a new Camera for Xmas!

I don't think you need 8-10 bulbs. I can't even get 8 over my tank. I get great color with 4 bulbs but think that 6 would improve things a little bit.

While 6 bulbs may not improve things much it will certainly improve the overall coloration of my tank and that will please me.

I really like the Bubble Magus skimmer I have. It has been good thus far for me. I would really like a new ATI Powercone skimmer but there isn't really a need for one right now.

Date Posted: December 13 2010 at 11:00pm
Here is a little sneak peek of the new tank! I have been working on this for the past 5 or 6 days, for a couple hours each day.

Do you know how hard it is to plumb something when you don't have everything??? I had this tank and that is all! I had to measure everything and I hope it is right. My tank now is in Provo and this tank is in Lehi.

I am moving my tank on the 15th and am super excited. I have a whole new plumbing setup, new lights, and a ton more space in the tank with a smaller overflow.

Date Posted: December 13 2010 at 11:39pm
Looks good! I think I liked your old stand better . . . this one looks a little makeshift!

-------------
None at the moment

Date Posted: December 14 2010 at 12:02am

Looks good! I think I liked your old stand better . . . this one looks a little makeshift!

It is an open concept stand! Plenty of air flow and very easily moved if needed.

Date Posted: December 14 2010 at 12:17am
interesting overflow =) also what drain type are you going to be using this time>? is it the same size as your old tank or?

-------------
801-680-4676

Date Posted: December 14 2010 at 12:27am
Originally posted by Nick801 Nick801 wrote:

interesting overflow =) also what drain type are you going to be using this time>? is it the same size as your old tank or?

Same drain setup. Herbie drain with an emergency drain. It is the best overflow on the market. I love mine that I have now and this will be setup the exact same way.

The tank is the exact same size, 40 gallon breeder.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net