Print Page | Close Window

first suspended reef?

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Specialized Discussion
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: This is the place to ask question about reef equipment.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29830
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 4:51am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: first suspended reef?
Posted By: Mark Peterson
Subject: first suspended reef?
Date Posted: December 04 2008 at 4:41pm
It was suggested by a good friend that I was a bit overconfident in my claim to have had the first suspended reef in the WMAS in 2005. Though it may have been proposed elsewhere, I'd be interested to know if anyone had seen a hobbyist anywhere with a fully suspended reef prior to mine. My idea had been inspired by Julian Sprung's WMAS presentation about the effect of water flow causing detritus to settle at the base of the rocks and an open sand bed being a way to delay or prevent old tank syndrome.

I don't doubt there was one, but by the response I heard from most hobbyists during Reef Tour 2005, mine was almost a one of a kind. If there are pics of others, please post. Here's mine:

-------------
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Replies:
Posted By: Turbostud653
Date Posted: December 04 2008 at 4:57pm
Wow! love the pics.  Lve the flow from the top as far as I can tell.  How do you ahve your waterflow?  Also How do you keep your Sand so clean?

-------------
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.

Posted By: Mike Savage
Date Posted: December 04 2008 at 5:02pm
What was it suspended from?

Mike

-------------

Posted By: BobC63
Date Posted: December 04 2008 at 7:21pm
That really is gorgeous, Mark Thumbs Up

-------------
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Posted By: Jeff Morrill
Date Posted: December 04 2008 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

What was it suspended from?

Mike
LOLLOLLOL

-------------
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.

Posted By: Jake Pehrson
Date Posted: December 04 2008 at 7:43pm
I had a suspended 125 in 2000.  I will look so see if I have any pics.  I know tha platform I made was still being passed around a few years back (it was PC pipes with an aragacrete top).  Who was the structual concrete guy?  I think I last saw them in his tank.

Suspended reefs were all the rage when the "no substrate" movement was big.

-------------
Jake Pehrson

Murray

http://coralplanet.com" rel="nofollow - coralplanet.com

http://utahbeeranch.com" rel="nofollow - :)

Posted By: Seth
Date Posted: December 04 2008 at 7:44pm
I had a attempt at one after I saw yours...............lets just say it didnt turn out as good

-------------
75gal sps dominated reef.
Bigger and better coming soon

Date Posted: December 04 2008 at 9:41pm
Was KeoDog's considered "suspended" then?

Mike

-------------

Posted By: Cameron
Date Posted: December 04 2008 at 9:44pm
I hate my suspended reef.  Stuff gets under it and you cant get to it

-------------
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Posted By: Aquaristnewbie
Date Posted: December 04 2008 at 11:29pm
What is that cool fish in the middle of the second pic.  That thing is awesome.

-------------
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Posted By: jfinch
Date Posted: December 04 2008 at 11:49pm
Batfish

-------------
Jon

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6y_EzjI_ljbIwf2n5uNzTw" rel="nofollow - What I've been doing...

Posted By: Seth
Date Posted: December 05 2008 at 8:38am
I dont like most batfish, but that one pulls the look of pretty well.

-------------
75gal sps dominated reef.
Bigger and better coming soon

Posted By: jpiotrowski
Date Posted: December 05 2008 at 9:55am
Mark,
I have suspended my tank since 2002 when I bought my 120, though I cover the pvc with rocks so that it appears solid.  I believe I had 9 inches of lift when I had it set up in the valley and reduced that to 6 when I moved.  What was interesting about my setup is that the flow between the rocks under the suspension was higher than the general flow.  If something was dropped into the tank it would be 'sucked' in between the rocks and settle under the suspension.
John
ps However, yours was truely unique!  I miss hanging out at your place and watching all that awesome macro...forget the fish!

Date Posted: December 05 2008 at 11:20am
Thanks Jake and Jon. Jon thanks for reminding me of your raised reef. I and others I'm sure, would really enjoy seeing pics.

To answer Mike's question, I originally wanted to suspend it from the top but realized that could be a problem if the nylon cable suspension broke, so as you know, I raised it on a platform of 1/2 inch PVC pipe. So the topic should say raised rather than suspended, but it does look like it's floating above the sand, doesn't it. Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: December 05 2008 at 5:15pm
Yes it does.Thumbs Up

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: December 05 2008 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Turbostud653 Turbostud653 wrote:

Wow! love the pics.  Lve the flow from the top as far as I can tell.  How do you ahve your waterflow?  Also How do you keep your Sand so clean?

The tall black 2" standpipe on the left is a modified Durso overflow. The water drains to a skimmerless RDP Refugium and then returns over the back center directed left and right. A Closed Loop intake on the right bottom returns on both bottom back corners through loc-line. The Closed Loop pump sits on a platform suspended from springs right underneath the tank, which makes plenty of room for the 40 gal breeder used for the Refugium.
The sand is Utah Oolitic which stays relatively clean anyway, but is helped by Mr. Ray when he goes looking for buried crustaceans and fish by jetting water straight down into the sand and using his mantle like an overturned bowl to keep them from escaping.
I miss this tank. Dion has taken good care of the Ray, the Batfish changed to adult form and coloration and recently passed away, and I don't know where the Tomato Clown has gone. It is a tank raised clownfish from David Tea so is probably still swimming.

-------------

Posted By: Turbostud653
Date Posted: December 05 2008 at 9:56pm
Thanks for the reply.

-------------
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.

Posted By: drysea
Date Posted: December 05 2008 at 10:32pm
Those batfish juveniles are so cool. I understand the juveniles live in mangrove swamps. It makes sense, they look like a dead mangrove leaf swirling in the water. I think they get whitish and quite big as adults. I also understand they are hard on corals as adults. I could be wrong though, does anyone know for sure?

Date Posted: December 06 2008 at 1:32pm
Yes, they are mostly herbivores and like most herbivores will eat small shrimp and may pick at coral if there is no edible macroalgae.

-------------

Posted By: fishrfriendsnotfood
Date Posted: December 07 2008 at 12:45pm
Mike that looks freaking awesome. I especially love the ray that swims under it. AWESOME JOB!!!

-------------
Scotty "Too Hottie"

Posted By: Jessi Earl
Date Posted: December 22 2009 at 7:46am
Mark,

HOW did you get that to look like it is floating?? All of the others I have seen you can tell they have PVC in them holding them up. That is such a cool look! I am setting one up, and I would love to get it to look like it is floating, rather than just sitting on PVC.

also, you mentioned it has a skimmerless refugium, did you not run a skimmer on that tank at all? I am looking to set up a similar tank, with a ray, and I have a sump with skimmer in it, and I will be adding the refugium. Just looking to get some advice from someone who has done this particular setup before.

Jessi

-------------
"You become responsible for all you tame"

Posted By: arthuriv
Date Posted: December 22 2009 at 8:46am

Mark what size was that tank? Also what kind of ray was that?

Thank you!
Arthur

Date Posted: December 22 2009 at 8:55am
Welcome Jessi Earl!

That ray and floating reef are now in a 180 gallon aquarium in Farmington! So not too far from you. Contact Dion Richins.

Mike

-------------

Posted By: Dion Richins
Date Posted: December 22 2009 at 10:03am
Blue Spotted Ribbon tail. Pm replied to.

-------------
http://www.customaquariumfurniture.com" rel="nofollow - Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Posted By: AvesSaltGuy
Date Posted: December 23 2009 at 11:47am
Absolutely amazing. 

-------------
Michael - 120G Reef Acans, Pom Poms, Zoas... Clowns, a firefish, and a coral beauty -purple tang, sailfin desjardinii, Filtration - sump, protein skimmer, UV sterilizer, 2 Koralias, refugium.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net