Print Page | Close Window

Adam's Nano Challenge

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Description: Posts that don't fit in any of the other categories.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22988
Printed Date: May 15 2024 at 10:14am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Adam's Nano Challenge
Posted By: Adam Blundell
Subject: Adam's Nano Challenge
Date Posted: January 07 2008 at 10:47pm
If you had a brand new nano tank, or were going to buy a brand new nano tank...
how would you set it up?

Rule 1- it can't be some type of standard mixed coral nano tank
Rule 2- don't say something like "a small goby, a shrimp, some zoanthids" that is way too common and not unique at all
Rule 3- you get points for creativity... both livestock and tank design

Ready.... set.... begin...
Adam

-------------
Come to a meeting, they�re fun!

Replies:
Posted By: cl2ysta1
Date Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:00pm
wellllllllllllllllll I have a 6 gallon nano that is awaiting me to actually have my own desk at work ( they are working on building new cubicles) it is kinda tall and has PC lighting. although if i wanted to i have a 150 halide that could go over it. MUAHAHAHAHA! This is really hard but... I think i would do a little sand bed, the neatest piece of rock i could find since it will probably only fit one,
and than!!!!

i dont know  =(

give me some ideas. I really havent decided yet

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Posted By: MrNewbie
Date Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:10pm
I would take a 24 gallon JBJ and put at least 100 W of PC, fill it with some cool rock and put in Bright green palys, 3 varieties of frogspawn, assorted mushrooms including richordias, and rodactis (sp?).  Oh yeah put in some sarco, a couple of fungias, some sinularia, kenya tree.  Wait that is my tank now, oh forgot the chalice, and some other thing that I have no idea what the heck it is but it looks cool and kind of like a cup coral but inside out.  Oh and a little bit of that cool Thor's Hammer.  Oh yeah a pair of Percs.

-------------
Just a couple of glass boxes full of slimey things

Date Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:12pm
what is thors hammer?

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Posted By: jfinch
Date Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:19pm
I think he's looking for unique...

I've always wanted to do this, but always backed out due to impatience.  And this might not be as suited to a nano as it would be to a little larger tank.  Anyway, I'd like to buy a box of live rock (as fresh as possible) and dump it into a tank.  Maintain water quality and even feed the tank a little, but don't add anything else to the tank.  Give it 3-4 years and see what grows.

-------------
Jon

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6y_EzjI_ljbIwf2n5uNzTw" rel="nofollow - What I've been doing...

Posted By: sukie
Date Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:22pm
Well I have a 24gal nano that has only sun corals and bangaiis in it.  Sure there's live rock & a huge clump of cheato. . . but that's it.

Posted By: ewaldsreef
Date Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:26pm
are you going to do a nano Adam ?

-------------
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Posted By: MrNewbie
Date Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:34pm
I love John's idea.  That could be cool to see.  Sorry I know mine is not what he is looking for.  Mine is just a holding tank until I get my 60 up, quite frankly there is just too much in it right now.  I would like to once it is empty to start over with just zoo's, nothing else, just a carpet of zoo's no rock showing.

-------------
Just a couple of glass boxes full of slimey things

Posted By: MadReefer
Date Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

I think he's looking for unique...

I've always wanted to do this, but always backed out due to impatience.  And this might not be as suited to a nano as it would be to a little larger tank.  Anyway, I'd like to buy a box of live rock (as fresh as possible) and dump it into a tank.  Maintain water quality and even feed the tank a little, but don't add anything else to the tank.  Give it 3-4 years and see what grows.

That would be good. The lighting and maintenance would have a big impact on what grew after four years.

Posted By: BobC63
Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 12:09am
For a nano in the 15 - 24g range I would first install a single drain the the bottom, center of the tank but as close to the rear glass as possible... then drill a total of 3 small return holes in the back glass near the top... I would then plumb a remote sump using maybe a 24" X 24" X 12" acrylic tank...for a total water volume of maybe 35 - 45g... you will need the sump both for temp control of the nano tank w/ a halide over it, and for water quality management as well. In the sump, 3 compartments - first a good skimmer like an Octopus NW150 in the first; 30 lb or so of LR in the 2nd; a 6" sandbed over a plenum in the 3rd - with a LOA PC light and as much chaeto as would fit over the sandbed.

Use a Fluval 405 as the return pump from the sump to the nano; nothing in the Fluval except carbon. Should give about 300 gph of flow, or 20 X tank turnover / hr.

Lighting: 1 - 150w DEMH Pheonix 14K bulb hanging about 9" over the nano waterline.

Now that we have filtration, flow, plumbing, lighting done, it's on to the nano reef itself.

Entire rear glass becomes a "wall" of SPS frags (mainly various acros) on about a 45 degree angle, facing up -courtesty of a generous supply of reef safe epoxy putty. Of course cover up the drain pipe to the sump as well.

Nano "sandbed" as shallow as possible (1/2"?) and completly covered front-to-back with various zooanthid frags... except for (3) 3" diameter spaces, where small rock "towers" maybe 4" high are installed in 2 of the 3" spaces; one tower gets covered in small colonies of Frogspawn and Hammer Corals; the other gets Sun Corals around the sides and a single small RBTA at the top. The 3rd space is reserved for a 4" clam of the owners choosing (perhaps a nice brilliant blue Crocea?)

For livestock, 15 tiny Blue Leg Hermits, 15 tiny Cerith or Nassarius snails, a single (small) Fire Shrimp takes care of the inverts.

Fish? How about a pair of juvenile Oscellaris or Perculas, a Court Jester or Red Clown Goby, maybe a pair of Purple Firefish as well?

-------------
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Posted By: jeffras
Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 12:36am
Leafy Sea Dragon Species Tank

J/K

-------------
Jeff Rasmussen

Posted By: jeffras
Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 12:42am
Seriously, I think a deep sand bed with a half dozen garden eels would be awesome!

Edit: Of course, you would need to have a very large nano Wink

-------------
Jeff Rasmussen

Posted By: Mike Savage
Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 8:14am
I would order in some good live rock and go with 1-3 Possum Wrasses and a few corals with room to grow.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 9:15am
Come on now people you can do better than that.  I want some suggestions like
1) a manatee!
2) 10 gal tank, 20 clams
3) jellyfish
4) kelp and an angler
5) 50 chocolate chip stars and one harlequin shrimp

Get thinking
Adam

-------------

Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 9:51am
baby sea turtle... named squirt!

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Posted By: Crazy Tarzan
Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 10:21am
I want a 24 gal cube with just enough live rock to form a u shape on the back, and then one monster (12" plus) Derasa clam.  Did I mention putting hqi lights on it?  Then just the necessary hermits and snails.

-------------
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing

Posted By: Jamison
Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 11:23am

How about a 12 gallon Nano. Work on some really cool and creative rockwork, and then glue small frags of bright GSP all over it. Maybe a couple varieties if you want to get fancy, but that's the only coral in the tank. Then put in like 8 coco worms, 20 fireshrimp and one Bangaii. Done!

-------------
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]

Posted By: EagleEyez5
Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 11:43am
I know what Adam is looking for in a six gallon nano......I would bring a rock shelf from the back, angled down to the sand, and cover the rock and every square inch of the tank with BLUNDELL buttons......mabey add 1 Helfrichi Firefish, and 5 Blue Legged Hermits, and 8 Astrea Snails..... then I would do it as a closed system, with no feeding, no skimmer, and only a 5% water change every other week....But the Blundell Buttons would be the center of attention....

-------------
http://www.highendcorals.com/">
WMAS PAID SPONSOR

Posted By: bbauman
Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 12:00pm
6 gallon nano with an orca fetus! Was that random enough?

How about a dsb with urchins/oysters, clean up crew consisting of mainly snails and a few crabs, kelp bed, then a sea otter?

-------------
28g Cube

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23030" rel="nofollow - Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan

Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 12:21pm
How about a "Great Barrier Reef Nano of Death". Contents...

1 Great white Shark
1 Box Jellyfish
1 Stone Fish
1 Blue Ring Octopus
1 Cone Snail
1 Russel Crowe

and 1 20 oz. can of Fosters as the centerpiece

You could have a picture of Steve Irwin or The Wiggles glued to the back of your tank.

-------------

Posted By: dkle
Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Jamison Jamison wrote:

1 Great white Shark
1 Box Jellyfish
1 Stone Fish
1 Blue Ring Octopus
1 Cone Snail
1 Russel Crowe

You could have a picture of Steve Irwin or The Wiggles glued to the back of your tank.

Now that's EXTREME!!!! Russel Crowe??? that is just too funny!

-------------
If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare

Posted By: Will Spencer
Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 12:28pm
I'd love to have a fairly large nano like a 24 with a peacock mantis in it.  Add like 20 snails, any type, and some crabs about once every 2 weeks.

I also think a nano with nothing but a large Anemone, big enough to fill the tank, and a couple Percs would be cool.  Or same Anemone and a dozen Anemone crabs.

Another idea would be 1 Acro that would fill most of the tank.  Pick one that sort of looks like a tree, then aquascape around it so it looked like a tree growing in a meadow or on a hillside.  Maybe put a path of different colored substrate down the center with a larger spot under the acro and a small "bench" of rock for the passerby to sit on and have a rest.

Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 12:34pm
Now we're getting somewhere people!
Thanks
Adam

-------------

Posted By: Jake Pehrson
Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 12:48pm
a small goby, a shrimp, some zoanthids!

Just kidding.

*How about an urchin tank.  I love mine.
*Frogfish tank.  Awesome.
*Jellies
*Seagrasses with shrimp?
*tide pool?  (ie. fill half way)
*Yellowheaded jawfish tank (I had one of these once).

-------------
Jake Pehrson

Murray

http://coralplanet.com" rel="nofollow - coralplanet.com

http://utahbeeranch.com" rel="nofollow - :)

Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 1:05pm
Jake- that may be the best post you have made, of all your 2500+ posts.
Adam

-------------

Posted By: Adam Haycock
Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 2:52pm
Cold water tidepool. take a trip to Washington to get livestock.

-------------

Posted By: CrimsRayne
Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 3:11pm

I've got a 5 gallon tank with brackish goldfish and green spotted puffers.  LOL

-------------
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan

Posted By: CrimsRayne
Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 3:30pm
If I had the time and $ I'd do an upside down reef 24-30 gallons.
Mod the lights so they fit under the tank and shine upward.  Make the bottom coverd with one way tint so you aren't blinded by them.
create a suspended fixture that allows the rocks to hang in the tank.  Glue all the frags upside down so they have to grow down towards the light.  For livestock a small upside down jellyfish, a cleaner or fire shrimp (since the hang out upside down anyway), and a goby or jawfish (just to trip them out that there isn't any sand).

-------------
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan

Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by dkle dkle wrote:

1 Great white Shark
1 Box Jellyfish
1 Stone Fish
1 Blue Ring Octopus
1 Cone Snail
1 Russel Crowe

Now that's EXTREME!!!! Russel Crowe??? that is just too funny!

The problem with Fosters is it doesn't stay in the can very long.Confused

Mike

-------------

Posted By: smatney
Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 8:55pm
I want to do a punch bowl fountain fish tank.  I would drill a punch bowl, drill a hole and mount in ontop of a chocolate fountain.  The fountain would have to pump the back through to the top.  The fish would be in the bowl.

Put one of those new neat reflectors above it with a MH lamp and have whatever coral I wanted.  Great oxygenation.

-------------
Susan Matney
Farmington, UT

Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 10:35pm
The chocolate fountain sounds good.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 10:36pm
Okay, here's a thought. Make a tank that is designed to be looked at with NightSea glasses and special lighting.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 10:41pm
Mike- I already beat you to that one...Wink
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/11/lines - http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/11/lines
http://www.mysticaquarium.org/index.cgi/1611 - http://www.mysticaquarium.org/index.cgi/1611

Adam

-------------

Date Posted: January 08 2008 at 10:53pm
Both good article but I had already read them both.Thumbs%20Up

I thought this would be a good idea for your new nano.

Mike

-------------

Posted By: sshm
Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 1:14pm
10 gallon tank nano, aiptasia glued to used AA batteries, tank filled with transmission fluid.

-------------
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1157896 - Difficult and special care reef inhabitants

Posted By: Kevin
Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 1:24pm
A tank filled with those cool tulip anemones, some aptasia and then keep a raise and whole herd of bergia nudibranchs in the tank.

Or a tank with a multitude of red flatworms and a couple of those cool black/blue nudibranchs.

Oh wait maybe those type of tanks are all to common    -- But you might be one of the few that did it on purpose.

Posted By: Kevin
Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 1:29pm
How about a tank with nothing but a thin layer of sand. Then add some of those flounders that look just like the sand. Call it a camo tank.

Or instead you could tell people that there is something in there (seahores, frogfish, octopus, chameleon, anything that is normally hard to see ) and then time how long they spend looking for it before they give up. That makes for an easy feeding schedule.

Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 2:48pm
I'm liking these suggestions.
Adam

-------------

Posted By: The Aquarium
Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 7:04pm

We set up an 8 gallon nano with 2 black anglers and one white angler it is by far the coolest aquarium we have in store and draws a lot of attention especially during feeding time.

Posted By: Cody Pearce
Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 9:45pm

That tank is very cool.  I love the black frogfish.  Do you guys ever sell those or where do you get them?  Do they get very big?

-------------
90 gallon mixed reef
My fish swim naked.

Posted By: EagleEyez5
Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 9:52pm
ok a six gallon nano with a giant pacific octo in it.....most nanos have lids, so once you get the octo into the tank, you wont have to worry about it getting out......I think someone on the board has some octo eggs they would be willing to sell you to get you started.....

-------------
http://www.highendcorals.com/">
WMAS PAID SPONSOR

Posted By: The Aquarium
Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 9:59pm

They are all for sale

They do get large so the nano is only a temporary set up for them 

The leaf fish gets 4 inches

And the angler can grow up to 12 inches but I have never seen one bigger then 6

leaf fish          50.00
black angler    89.99
white angler    179.99

Posted By: dkle
Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 10:00pm
What do you feed them then, live shrimps and guppies?

-------------
If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare

Posted By: Cody Pearce
Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 10:07pm
What size tank would you recommend when they get to full size?

-------------
90 gallon mixed reef
My fish swim naked.

Posted By: kasiki
Date Posted: January 10 2008 at 12:18am

My dream Nano would be one filled with liberal amounts of everclear, triple sec, vodka and rum.  Add in fruit punch.  Plug in powerhead to mix and then add fruit.  Best part, no cycle.  If you want livestock just invite a few friends over, I guarantee they will be swimming in it or at least trying to.  Wacko

Posted By: Danner
Date Posted: January 10 2008 at 5:19am
hahah thats awsome jungle juice FTW

Date Posted: January 10 2008 at 8:50am
man adam your like a celebrity!

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Date Posted: January 10 2008 at 8:58am
Sorry Crystal I couldn't quite hear that.  What did you say?
Adam

-------------

Posted By: smatney
Date Posted: January 10 2008 at 3:14pm
Hey, let's use my punch bowl nano for the everclear, triple sec, vodka and rum.  It will be almost like a champage fountain (only better).Clown

-------------
Susan Matney
Farmington, UT

Posted By: Shane H
Date Posted: January 16 2008 at 3:47pm
Adam,

What about a top-view seagrass tank? That would be cool.

Posted By: superman1981
Date Posted: January 16 2008 at 4:24pm
Well for my current nano, I have a 6 gallon nano cube.  The substrate is Caribbean sugar sand, really white and really small, I love it!  Then I have oh... like a 10lbs chunk of live rock, covered in GSP and surrounded by some type of leafy macro algae.  The plan is to fill it with chocolate chip stars and see if the can eat the GSP faster than it can grow Big%20smile  I currently have one, but am planning on adding a few more small ones... and I tossed in a blue damsel for good measure... Thats Tim's Nano! 

-------------
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78639&title=tims-65-gallon-build" rel="nofollow - build thread

Date Posted: January 16 2008 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Sorry Crystal I couldn't quite hear that.  What did you say?
Adam

If I would have known how much of a fish celebrity you were I would of had you sign my aquarium or something!

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Posted By: CowFish
Date Posted: January 16 2008 at 7:05pm

A nano with the back wall covered in GSP, ONE rock in the very middle.. covered of course in GSP.. like a grassy knoll - and, you guessed it, a longhorn cowfish to "graze" his merry pasture : )

I've even whipped together a nice visual : ) Cheese-tastic! .. and small.

-------------
Clearfield, UT.

Posted By: Pinner Reef
Date Posted: January 17 2008 at 1:45am

Do a hypnosis tank Adam... Cover the back wall in Xenia add lots of star polyps lots of random flow then a fish that is constantly on the move like a pseudochromis or somthing.

I also saw this tank and nearly attempted to recreate it in coral
http://bp3.blogger.com/_cwbt2D65i9k/RxNuYyTL_PI/AAAAAAAABJ4/wIUCKIImZKM/s400/2007_10.jpg - http://bp3.blogger.com/_cwbt2D65i9k/RxNuYyTL_PI/AAAAAAAABJ4/wIUCKIImZKM/s400/2007_10.jpg ">

Paint your backround like the sky add a carpet of zoas or gsp then one big ole leather. Maybe a frogspawn or cheato bush and some grey acans for rocks.
Just random thouhts though.

-pinner

-------------
In SLC Near Downtown

Posted By: ssilcox
Date Posted: January 23 2008 at 3:05pm
I havent read through all three pages so I apologize if I copy someone elses idea.

Ideas:

A tank full of nothing but anemones - and a single anemonefish.

Palythoas-only tank. Paly's growing over everything. Sides/back/bottom.

Algae tank. Nah, never mind. Who would want an algae only tank?Wink

Mantis shrimp tank

Nano Jellyfish tank

Chromis only tank. Ever seen a tank at a pet store with thousands of goldfish? How about a nano with three hundred chromis. They would have no choice but to school.

My favorite:
Clam tank. 15-20 clams in a single nano.

Date Posted: January 23 2008 at 8:14pm
How about a flatworm tank. Maybe we could figure out for sure if they are detrimental or just unsightly.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 9:18am
Last call- any final suggestions?
Adam

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 9:58am
6 gallon nano, as much aptasia as you can possibly find and like 50 peppermint shrimp.  Don't ever feed the shrimp, instead leave them to fend for themselves.  Then see who wins the battle, the aptasia or the shrimp.  I only say this because I don't believe peppermint shrimp actually eat aptasia...

-------------

6 gal nanocube
65 gal http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78639&title=tims-65-gallon-build" rel="nofollow - build thread

Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 10:03am
I only say this because I don't believe peppermint shrimp actually eat aptasia...
I can guarantee you that they do.  There are several published papers on this, and many many videos taken showing them clearly eating Aiptasia. 
Now how well they do this, or how hungry they would have to be... well that is tough to know.

Adam 

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 11:52am
I kind of like the idea of several small clams, bunched at the base of a small LR.  Don't know what else - but at least several shrimp and maybe a sea apple. Lots of amazing colors.

Posted By: mermaidcamille
Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 12:22pm
I want to know what we win if you pick our idea!

Here are mine:

-(as per your request) "sculpt" a mermaid using strategically placed corals. ie anemone for hair, zoa's for scales, etc.
-Same as above but make a sea monster.
-or Titanic
-Put whatever you want in the nano and hang it from the ceiling in a fishing net.
-Construct a body and use the nano as the head and fill as you please.
-Mandarin Goby, Serpent stars, purple mushrooms, and frog spawn (don't look at if you feel nauseous)
-fill it full of rock and see what grows.
-Bristle worm paradise.
-Place it neatly in a larger tank and allow it to become part of the reef.
-Place it in a barred box and fill with 4 stripe damsels.
-Find a large taxidermy shark and display it in its mouth, then it won't matter what you put in it.
-A shell phone.
-Put a warning sign on the tank and place a can of tuna inside.
-sand dollars...then it will always look empty.
or
-Decide that you don't really like any ideas posted and just give the nano to me.

Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 12:28pm
Camille-
I'm stunned!  Honestly I don't even know where to begin.  Those suggestions are fabulous.  Notice we have 200 people in this club, yet only a couple could come close to your imaginative ideas.

I'm truly thankful for all that you posted.
Adam

edit- notice how everyone described ideas for inside the tank... you are truly rare for describing outside the tank

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 12:37pm
What do I win?

Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 12:42pm
Is love and appreciation enough?  That is what my parents always told us we'd win.LOL
Adam

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 12:48pm
I teach middle school and I have learned that normally that doesn't cut it, but for you okay.

Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 2:33pm
you are truly rare for describing outside the tank

Tanks have an outside? Dang. I knew I missed something ....

Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 2:54pm
Speaking of outside... Maybe we should start with a cast of Adams head, then pour molten glass into the cast.  This should give us a nice, oh 5 gallon tank to start with Big%20smile  Obviously we'll use hair algae for hair... maybe some blue shrooms in the eyes...  and then put in a single frogfish... Yes that would be an interesting nano...

-------------

6 gal nanocube

Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 3:33pm

Create a room in your house with no windows or lights, or just paint the room black, get your nano, and put any of these bioluminescent creatures in it!

http://www.mcb.harvard.edu/hastings/Images/bioluminescence.html - http://www.mcb.harvard.edu/hastings/Images/bioluminescence.html

-------------
28g Cube

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23030" rel="nofollow - Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan

Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 3:38pm
ok so make sure they're bio-luminescent SEA creatures. LOL

-------------
28g Cube

Brandon in West Jordan

Posted By: Summertop
Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 4:32pm
For a small tank...my 10g...
Sand bed with a fair amount of live rock.

Then stuff it full of feather dusters of different sorts and colors.  Some pink, red, green, blue, orange...some underneath that like shade (Christmas Tree worms), some out in the open sand bed, some in between the rocks.  Just everywhere.

Then with a bit of water turbulance, the tank will be full of motion.

-------------
===========

Shawn Winterbottom

Posted By: Summertop
Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 4:55pm
Also...
1.  A tank with some live rock (with a cave you can see into) nd keep a pair of mated Reef Lobsters.

2.  a little bit of live rock and a bunch of Pom Pom Crabs.  Can you keep several/many together?

3. abalones and oysters.

4.  several rocks covered in glove polyps or other fast growing encrusting polyps tht will take over everything.  Then put lots of serpent star in there.

5.   a planted tank with lots of types of algae and a little bit of rock.  Then put in a bunch of pipefish.  Some pipefish (Corythoichthys haematopterus) will even eat the dreaded "red bug" that pester corals.

6.  have a planted tank, then acclimate fish that normally you only see in the freshwater world...Mollies (black, dalmation, lyretail, etc), Columbian Shark (Arius jordani), gobies, scats, and/or puffers.

-------------
===========

Shawn Winterbottom

Posted By: soundsurfer
Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 5:20pm
THERMAL VENT 30 gallon nano

I liked the idea of a the night tank..... run a tank in your freezer with lights out......place a few metal piping  that shoots out  boiling water and run the water back trough an extremely long metal piping to recool it.  Have some microorganisms and deep water shrimp and maybe a deep water dwarf angler (i just made this fish up, but if youve followed me this far in my post on my deep thermal vented nano tank. Then im sure you can get over this small thing)  You can only check it out every once in awhile with night vision glasses or with a blue moon LEDS.

Posted By: soundsurfer
Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 5:21pm
Oh yeah, i forgot to add it probably is going to be extremely pressurized to imitate their natural environment. So there are only to small peep holes with extremely thick glass where you can look in.

Posted By: siren
Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 6:24pm
12gal JBJ nano-cube2 inches sand, shaving brush algae, upside down jellies....'nuff said

Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by mermaidcamille mermaidcamille wrote:

I want to know what we win if you pick our idea!

Here are mine:

-(as per your request) "sculpt" a mermaid using strategically placed corals. ie anemone for hair, zoa's for scales, etc.
-Same as above but make a sea monster.
-or Titanic
-Put whatever you want in the nano and hang it from the ceiling in a fishing net.
-Construct a body and use the nano as the head and fill as you please.
-Mandarin Goby, Serpent stars, purple mushrooms, and frog spawn (don't look at if you feel nauseous)
-fill it full of rock and see what grows.
-Bristle worm paradise.
-Place it neatly in a larger tank and allow it to become part of the reef.
-Place it in a barred box and fill with 4 stripe damsels.
-Find a large taxidermy shark and display it in its mouth, then it won't matter what you put in it.
-A shell phone.
-Put a warning sign on the tank and place a can of tuna inside.
-sand dollars...then it will always look empty.
or
-Decide that you don't really like any ideas posted and just give the nano to me.

Great idea Camille!Clap

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 6:59pm
Okay Adam, last one.
 - How about a 12 gallon with one large killer Acro and about 12 Clown Gobies of varying colors.

- Garden eel display would be cool too.

- I would pretty much switch religions and worship you if you could round up a 24 gallon nano with an Olive sea snake in it.

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 7:09pm
So I lied.
Here's one more that I thought up when i was like 15 years old.

Modify one of those antique bubble gum machines to hold like a 5 gallon nano. When you put in a penny and turn the knob, it dispenses flake food into the tank. Put whatever you want in it, I just think it would be really cool.

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2008 at 7:40pm

- I would pretty much switch religions and worship you if you could round up a 24 gallon nano with an Olive sea snake in it.

Don't you already do this?

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: February 01 2008 at 11:19am
Closed!

Thanks to everyone who participated in Adam's Nano Challenge. 
I have submitted all the entries.  There will be a follow up post on Monday (probably from me) with an update on the challenge.  Thanks again to everyone.
Adam

ps- in case you want to know I have turned in my ballot and here is how I voted as the best entries....

5- Kevin/Cody- Camoflauge Aquarium
4- Shane Heil- Top View Seagrass Aquarium
3- Camille Grimshaw- Mermaid Body Aquarium
2- Jamison Hensley- Great Barrier Reef of Death
1- Susan Matney- Punch Fountain Aquarium

-------------

Date Posted: February 01 2008 at 11:20am
oh- and the Thermal Vent Tank and the Poisonous Sea Snake tank would have easily taken my top vote if I thought I could get the equipment and animals to do it.  Two truly great ideas!

Adam

-------------

Posted By: GARFVolunteer
Date Posted: February 01 2008 at 8:07pm
Adam,

I know I am too late but, I think a small rimless tank with a single halide pendant hanging over it would look awesome. It would be a seamless acrylic with the overflow to the sump in the center with the returns plumbed so the output is at the base of the center.  The aquascaping would be live rock in the center covering the overflow and plumbing.  The sand bed would be about 1-1/2" of fine aragonite and I would ensure I screened the sand to ensure all of it was very fine.

I have been getting different types Acanthastrea from GARF lately to grow out for them. I have been particularly impressed with the acan dunkins and the micromussa in particular. A few acans with colorful zoanthids covering the rock and a couple of clams in the sand would top it off nice.  If it was going in my house, the lovely and gracious Monica would require some fish.  I am not really up on what fish to keep in a nano but I do remember seeing some awesome gobies in some if the nano reefs on the tour.

Now to make all this work right, the tank needs to be placed in the center of the room with 360 degree viewing.  My sister has a perfect room in her house for it.  I have never liked her  pedestal with bronzed naked lady on it.  A reef would be so much more classy....

Thanks,

Scott

-------------
President Idaho Marine Aquarium Society
A fair and biased reef hobbyist
"How do you make poor people rich by making rich people poor" Rush Limbaugh on Obama taxes

Date Posted: February 01 2008 at 11:34pm
Did Scott say "a single halide pendant hanging over it would look awesome"? Shocked

Mike

-------------

Posted By: dustponds10
Date Posted: February 01 2008 at 11:47pm
Thats what I read maybe our eyes are playing tricks on us.  Not sure.  I guess he might be sick or something,  Or maybe just maybe, its a long shot, but maybe he is changing his mind??????Wink

-------------
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x

Posted By: tileman
Date Posted: February 01 2008 at 11:47pm
I can picture it in my mind, with one of those drop from the ceiling round halides from coralife.  It looks awsome just like Scott describes.Cool

-------------
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&

Date Posted: February 01 2008 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by dustponds10 dustponds10 wrote:

Thats what I read maybe our eyes are playing tricks on us.  Not sure.  I guess he might be sick or something,  Or maybe just maybe, its a long shot, but maybe he is changing his mind??????Wink

I think he's finally gone mad. I think he needs to go kayaking so he can think straight again.LOL

Mike

-------------

Posted By: dustponds10
Date Posted: February 02 2008 at 12:56am

you are probably right

-------------
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x

Date Posted: February 02 2008 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

Did Scott say "a single halide pendant hanging over it would look awesome"? Shocked

Mike

Adam did use the word challenge right??? 

Since the tank is rimless I needed to go with a small round pendant.  If I knew of a way to effectively get a VHO setup into a round pendant hanging from the ceiling I would have said to use that.  Since I have never seen one, I had to go with an inferior MH just to get that classy look...

See I am flexible... mh can be used in barns, over sumps, and in pendants over aquariums when it is allowable to sacrifice the light quality internal to the tank, for the desired over all look of the entire system.

Thanks,

Scott

-------------
"How do you make poor people rich by making rich people poor" Rush Limbaugh on Obama taxes

Date Posted: February 02 2008 at 2:31pm
Whew. You got out of that one!LOL

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: February 02 2008 at 3:55pm

Mike

LOL had the response ready when I hit the send button for the first post.Wink

I would really like to set one of those up some day.  Will keep working on Janet.  The naked lady just needs to be replaced...

Thanks,

Scott

-------------

Date Posted: February 02 2008 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by GARFVolunteer GARFVolunteer wrote:

LOL had the response ready when I hit the send button for the first post.Wink

I figured that. I almost said that in my last post!

Mike

-------------

Posted By: Will Spencer
Date Posted: February 02 2008 at 4:52pm

Mike

I don't know, seems to me anyone who was serious about VHO lighting would find a way to make it work. Wink

Posted By: jpndave
Date Posted: February 12 2008 at 12:15pm
I know I am too late also but...

I was reading up on pistol shrimp (as I have been trying to find my RandalliConfused, any help here would be appreciated).  Anyway, I found an article that stated pistol shrimp will take out a Mantis.

So, my nano idea (which I may try btw) is a "David and Goliath" pistol vs mantis shrimp.  Or you could call it the "Gladiator arena" nano.

I also like the Berghia and aiptasia tank but take it one step farther and have an aiptasia refugium to raise food for the Berghia.  And, offer a live rock cleaning service to all the club!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net