Print Page | Close Window

LOGO CONTEST

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: Suggestion Box/Recommendations
Forum Description: This is the place to submit recommendations to the WMAS presidency.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2257
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 5:24pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: LOGO CONTEST
Posted By: Adam Blundell
Subject: LOGO CONTEST
Date Posted: April 03 2004 at 1:39pm

For those who haven't heard.  We are having a logo contest.  The idea is to design a new logo for the Wasatch Marine Aquarium Society.  We would like to keep the Sea Star as the basic symbol. 
In addition, we need a Banner to use for weblinks to our site.  If you have graphic skills please put them to work and help get us a new Sea Star logo for our club and banner for our site.  These two graphics do not have to look alike or have the same style or anything like that. If you design the logo the presidency selects...

1st place- Logo $50 gift certificate to any pet store of your choice
1st place- Banner $50 gift certificate to any pet store of your choice
Runners Up- Not sure, we'll figure something out.

Thanks and good luck,

Adam

-------------
Come to a meeting, they�re fun!

Replies:
Posted By: dianatabor
Date Posted: April 03 2004 at 5:27pm
Adam - When's the contest deadline? How do you want us to submit our entries? Where, exactly, will the banner go? Do you or Jake have general dimensions for either in mind?

Date Posted: April 03 2004 at 6:56pm

For dimensions, you'll have to have Jake answer that.  For deadline (duh how could I forget) I think we will go with the June Meeting.  I would like to go with May meeting but I'm not sure if that is enough time.  So lets say Thursday June 3rd.  When you finish a logo, PM Jake Pehrson and he can tell you the best way to email it or whatever so he can get them.  I'll have him post all of them on the website so people can see them and shar their input. 

Thanks

Adam

-------------

Posted By: Skyetone
Date Posted: April 04 2004 at 9:48am

we need to get jake involved in this thread... Does it need to be built for the internet or for graphic reproduction? What is a more detailed idea? Just a few graphics and the text of the club? Reasonably simple and basic, or if buisy works, can it have a lot going on?

I print for a living, and fiddle from there...

-------------
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna

Posted By: Jake Pehrson
Date Posted: April 05 2004 at 12:11pm

Okay,

The logo and banner should be designed in the highest resolution possible (if you could use a vector graphic program that would be even better).  Although these are primarily going to be used for the web site there is a possibility that we will use them in a large format printing application (so the higher the resolution the better).

The logo does not have pre-set dimension, therefore you are free to use your artistic license in designing the logo.

The banner should be able to be reduced to a standard banner size (468x60 pixels).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-------------
Jake Pehrson

Murray

http://coralplanet.com" rel="nofollow - coralplanet.com

http://utahbeeranch.com" rel="nofollow - :)

Date Posted: April 06 2004 at 5:15pm

basic idea???

-------------
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna

Date Posted: April 06 2004 at 5:26pm

The banner should have our web site address on it somewhere.  Other then that your artistic license should guide you.  I would like to see a logo that looks "fishy", but we all have our own ideas.

One thing we should mention.  You CAN submit more then one logo and/or banner.

Adam, chime in here if I have left anything out.

-------------
Jake Pehrson

Murray

Date Posted: April 06 2004 at 5:29pm
I am designing a logo or six right now. gathering marine clipart to work with. I was going to have a few things going on at the same time in the logo. Whereas the old one was JUST the star and type. Where is the old banner at?

-------------

Magna

Date Posted: April 06 2004 at 8:29pm

No old banner... and yes you can enter as many times as you want.  Okay, I shouldn't say that.  You can enter.... oh... how about 20 entries per person.  That should be a high enough limit. 

By the way, asking us what it should look like is a bad idea.  Ask everyone else what they think it should be.

Adam

-------------

Posted By: Weimers
Date Posted: April 07 2004 at 1:32pm

Suzy and I and a few other pony lovers would probably like a SEAHORSE!  I found a neat silhouette on http://www.seahorse.org - www.seahorse.org that I was thinking of trying to put into a banner.  But then you guys mentioned vector graphics.  So I may chicken out.

Renee

-------------
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii

Posted By: GonZo
Date Posted: April 07 2004 at 1:41pm

All you arteests out there. Please remember....

Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

... We would like to keep the Sea Star as the basic symbol. 

-------------
Cortney (West Jordan)
The joy of discovery is certainly the liveliest that the mind of man can ever feel. - Claude Bernard

Date Posted: April 07 2004 at 5:22pm

Yea weimers.... I'll throw one on the banner. Where on the sight is the banner going to be? opening page across the top or what?

On those dimentions for the banner, is that at 72dpi?

Is the final product up for a public final vote? I can make a millin small changes to one logo. Unfortunatly I have been doing this for tooooo long. But I guess thats the fun eh.

-------------

Magna

Date Posted: April 07 2004 at 6:14pm
GonZo, I wasn't talking about eliminating the Sea Star.  Just adding to it.

-------------
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii

Posted By: jfinch
Date Posted: April 07 2004 at 7:06pm

How 'bout this:

That's about as creative as I get... is that plagiarism?

-------------
Jon

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6y_EzjI_ljbIwf2n5uNzTw" rel="nofollow - What I've been doing...

Posted By: coreyk
Date Posted: April 07 2004 at 7:36pm
LOL

Date Posted: April 07 2004 at 11:06pm
Me too! How creative!

Date Posted: April 08 2004 at 6:59am

Jon,

We'll count that as a entry.  That now makes two!

Adam

-------------

Posted By: Richard L.
Date Posted: April 08 2004 at 7:41am
How about posting the entries- what was the first one?  IF us untalented types see something it may get some of our creative juices moving . . .

-------------
Richard
Alpine, UT

Date Posted: April 08 2004 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Skyetone Skyetone wrote:

Where on the sight is the banner going to be? opening page across the top or what?

On those dimentions for the banner, is that at 72dpi?

The banner was originally suggested so that we could put a link on other sites.

The banner should look good when reduced to 72dpi, but should be designed and submitted in a higher DPI or resolution in case we want to use it for a large printed banner (or something like that).

-------------
Jake Pehrson

Murray

Date Posted: April 08 2004 at 11:16am
Originally posted by 1mariner7 1mariner7 wrote:

How about posting the entries- what was the first one? IF us untalented types see something it may get some of our creative juices moving . . .

I'm not sure if I think this is a good idea or not. We might get better images, because people may build on each other's ideas. However, some people would wait until the end to avoid copy cats that sweep in and take the prize due to the creative ideas of others. I hate when that happens.

BTW - Is this contest open to everyone? Or, just paid WMAS members?

Date Posted: April 08 2004 at 2:33pm

I say open to everyone, but hey I don't know.  Ask the presidency. 

Adam

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2004 at 2:46pm

I say anyone that takes the time to do some work for the club is welcome.  Member or not.  IMO

-------------
Jake Pehrson

Murray

Posted By: reptoreef
Date Posted: April 09 2004 at 2:36am

Date Posted: April 09 2004 at 2:38am

I was gettin' bored and gave this logo business a whack... It's that sea star on roids

Night, Jason

Date Posted: April 09 2004 at 5:42pm

-------------

Magna

Posted By: Shane H
Date Posted: April 10 2004 at 4:20pm
I think those starfish with capes are so cool. They are expensive though. Not sure if they're reef safe.

Date Posted: April 11 2004 at 1:11am

Yep, that's exactly why I had to draw it instead of showin' ya a pic.... So, can a "non-member" be involved?

Jason

Date Posted: April 11 2004 at 9:17am
Originally posted by reptoreef reptoreef wrote:

So, can a "non-member" be involved?

Jason

Yep, should we use that drawing as an official entry?  Might as well, you can enter many times.

Adam

-------------

Posted By: Kahuna
Date Posted: April 21 2004 at 9:01am

Someone wanted shots of Starfish I thought, but I can't find the post. But here are a couple of my purple Linkia that came by the front of the tank this morning.

-------------
Cell 801 860-7333

Date Posted: April 21 2004 at 6:59pm
it was me... was hoping for full side pix..

-------------

Magna

Posted By: Mickey5
Date Posted: April 29 2004 at 8:27pm
What do we do after we have made a logo???? should we just post it or send it to someone?

-------------
I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that is was all started by a mouse. -Walt Disney
www.savedisney.com

Date Posted: April 29 2004 at 9:37pm

After you make an entry, then make another.  Really, we want some choices. You can ask Jake what he wants you to do with them, but I'm assuming he wants you to email them to him at mailto:[email protected] - [email protected]

Adam

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2004 at 6:41am
I'm going to make a few logos soon. The due date was june right...

-------------

Magna

Date Posted: April 30 2004 at 8:57am

The Due Date was set as next friday, May 7th.  However, I don't think we will be in a hurry to make that decision. The next pres meeting is in Mid May so make sure you have them in before that.

Adam

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2004 at 5:11pm
how many entries have you had? alot or only a few?

-------------

Magna

Date Posted: April 30 2004 at 10:24pm

I think we have like two entries.  I guess I'm going to have to do some reminding on an email.  But hey, good chances of winning.

Adam

-------------

Posted By: Mickey5
Date Posted: April 30 2004 at 10:27pm
I have sent in 3 myself so there are at least 3 entries now.

-------------
I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that is was all started by a mouse. -Walt Disney
www.savedisney.com

Date Posted: April 30 2004 at 10:38pm
Adam,
I was still thinking that the deadline was the June meeting, since that's what it says on the first page of this thread. If it's changed to the May meeting, you might want to edit that post to include the new deadline instead.

Date Posted: May 01 2004 at 12:01am

Here's an rough official entry...

Date Posted: May 01 2004 at 10:02am

Diana,

If I said June meeting, then it is June meeting.  I guess I had the wrong month in mind and was confused.  I won't move the due date up, so if I said that somewhere, then that is it.

Adam

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2004 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

For deadline (duh how could I forget) I think we will go with the June Meeting.  I would like to go with May meeting but I'm not sure if that is enough time.  So lets say Thursday June 3rd.   

Thanks

Adam

Here is the quote.. so are all entries due by the 3rd and voting in the june meeting or what?

-------------

Magna

Date Posted: May 01 2004 at 12:48pm

Yes entries by June 3rd.  I'll let the presidency meet and decide what to do with them after that.  The June 3rd meeting will be a bit odd, as our President, Vice President, Treasurer (and who knows who else) will be absent. 

Adam

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2004 at 4:47pm
Reptoreef ~ you're quite an artist!  I like it.  I hope you're doing an entry.  Maybe I could get you to do a pub sign for me.  We have sort of a pub in our basement.  Anyway, I really hope you do an entry.  If your pencil sketch looks that good... go for it!

-------------
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii

Date Posted: May 01 2004 at 9:13pm
Thanks... will give it a try, maybe. Give me a pm when you want to try the pub thing.

Date Posted: June 11 2004 at 2:28pm

Please turn in all entries NOW!  We are closing the contest and will be voting on the entries soon.  Email your entries to Jake mailto:[email protected] - [email protected]

Thanks

Adam

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net