Print Page | Close Window

Exciting Club Meetings

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: Suggestion Box/Recommendations
Forum Description: This is the place to submit recommendations to the WMAS presidency.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20177
Printed Date: June 01 2024 at 1:02pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Exciting Club Meetings
Posted By: Jamison
Subject: Exciting Club Meetings
Date Posted: August 29 2007 at 3:50pm

How great are our club meetings?

Could they be better?

What kind of meeting would guarantee that you will show up, even if it means you sleep on the couch for a night or two?

We want your input! Give us your idea of the ideal WMAS meeting.Wink

Here are a few to get you thinking:

1. Any guest speaker that you really wish the club would bring in.
  2. Coral Food/Fish Food - Guest speaker like Brine Shrimp Direct. Discuss what we should be feeding our tanks. Do a big group order through BSD generating a modest profit margin for the club.
  3. Breeding fish - (Guest Speaker) Types of fish to consider - setup - DIY rotifers etc.
  4. Meeting dedicated to LPS coral - Husbandry, fragging demo, slide show, small scale LPS only frag sale - Perhaps hosted by local LFS.
  5. Same for SPS.
  6. Same for Softies.
  7. Grow your own - Phytoplankton, Zooplankton, Brine shrimp hatching, rotifers etc. DIY or inexpensive setups.
  8. Aquascaping 101 - Slide show, nano demo, where to place coral to avoid problems, caves, arches, creative ideas etc.
  9. Species tanks - Fish to consider (Seahorse, Pipefish, Frog fish, Garden Eels, Blue Spot Boxfish etc) Slide show, things to keep in mind. Raffle a Nano.
  10. Reef gadgets - From must haves, to the new and exotic. Donations from on-line vendors or LFS to raffle. Could be sponsored by LFS (guest speaker).
  11. Exploring SCUBA - Guest speaker (Sea Base) Classes available, costs to purchase or rent, best places to vacation, slide show/short film.
  12. Reefs that pay for themsleves - Propagation, frag tanks, good corals to try, money makers from common to exotic.
  13. Meet and greet only - Get to know the people on the board. No official agenda. Just come and shoot the breeze.

Let us know what you think. Improvements, ideas, do you like these suggestions? Do you hate them? Anything you would change in how our current meetings are run? Do you like tank of the month? Would you rather have a Show and Tell? Thanks for your input!

-------------
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]

Replies:
Posted By: Adam Blundell
Date Posted: August 29 2007 at 4:17pm
Jamison- I'm really glad you posted this.  As the guy who books the speakers I can attest to how difficult it is to get suggestions from club members.
Adam

-------------
Come to a meeting, they�re fun!

Date Posted: August 29 2007 at 4:19pm
Can I add to that...
14. What would your significant other like to see at a meeting?  Shane and I are discussing banquet speaker ideas.
Adam

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2007 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Can I add to that...
14. What would your significant other like to see at a meeting?  Shane and I are discussing banquet speaker ideas.
Adam

Cool scrapbook pages for reef pics! I guess I'll stay home for that one.LOL

Seriously though, that's a great idea and I know the banquet meeting went over really well last time.

-------------

Posted By: superman1981
Date Posted: August 29 2007 at 4:39pm
I vote for the Exploring SCUBA one because I think I might get my wife to come to that one Big%20smile I've been working on getting her to try it out for over a year now, maybe a meeting would help spark her interest!

I also love the idea for an aquascaping 101!

And of course, I'm a huge fan of Frag Fests (seeing as thats the only meeting I've been to thus far Embarrassed)

-------------
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78639&title=tims-65-gallon-build" rel="nofollow - build thread

Posted By: Mike Savage
Date Posted: August 29 2007 at 4:43pm

1. Biotope aquaria

2. LPS coral

3. Aquascaping 101

4. Motile invertebrates

5. Dinner meeting

6. Working with acrylic

7. Guest speakers: Scott Michael, Eric Borneman, Mike Paletta, Dr. Ron Shimek etc.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2007 at 6:17pm
Mike- fabulous.
Typically when I ask for advise I get something like "oh I like speakers, and coral cuttings are cool, plus I liked Jon's talk about chemistry"
Rarely do I get someone who puts suggestions in order, and even names speakers.
Adam

-------------

Posted By: Debbles
Date Posted: August 29 2007 at 7:18pm
I would be interested in:

aquascaping 101
species tanks
breeding fish
reefs that pay for them selves
grow your own--stuff

not in any particular order.  I don't know anything about guest speakers so I would probably just go to the ones that interested me.

Debbie Smile

-------------
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!

Posted By: Corey Price
Date Posted: August 30 2007 at 8:52am
My votes:

1. Exotic dancers.Shocked 
2. edible things from the aquarium- fear factor style
3. Jamison's face after a candid camera stunt with the IRS and/or the SEC.

LOLWink

Date Posted: August 30 2007 at 10:00am
Corey,
If you're dancing, I'll eat a pound of live rock! I say we invite the IRS and the SEC. Everyone knows those guys have a sense of humor. They'll need to see some receipts for all the ones in your G-string though.

-------------

Posted By: Corey Price
Date Posted: August 30 2007 at 1:01pm
Jamison,

I'm not exotic enough, but you would fit the description...

I could eat sea cucumber (already done that) or live squid (done that too)...

Posted By: KludgeGuru
Date Posted: August 30 2007 at 8:29pm
I'd say Aquascaping...spent the last two night rearranging my rocks and I don't know what the heck I'm doing.  Embarrassed

-Rocks

Posted By: jfinch
Date Posted: August 31 2007 at 9:42am
I used to look forward to the visiting guest speakers more then the "local" speakers, but now I'd rather hear someone in the club talk about some topic they're interested/passionate about/experienced  in over a guest speaker.  And I don't really care about the topic as long as the person presenting is excited about it.

I think our meetings can be on the long side too.  We aught to be done and gone by 8-8:30 pm, imo.

-------------
Jon

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6y_EzjI_ljbIwf2n5uNzTw" rel="nofollow - What I've been doing...

Posted By: Summertop
Date Posted: August 31 2007 at 9:58am
1.  Local/members doing a presentation.  We have some that do a really nice job.  As Jon said, content is secondary to the person's enthusiasm.

2.  Member's little DIY projects.  When a member is going to make something...they could make it at a meeting or two.

3.  Fish Only...Many of us have Aggresive/FOWLR set ups.  We could have something specific to these types of tanks.

4.  Reef Tour Primer...Have one (or two) from different areas of the tour (6-8 people) show a few pics of their tanks and talk up why people should go see their tank.  It wouldn't be hard for someone to make a simple power point that gives a person's name on on slide, then 2-3 slides for pics.  Then another slide with someone else's name...and so forth.

5.  We have a "Tank of the Month"...how about an "LFS of the Month".  We could invite an LFS and give them 5-minutes to go over what specials they have.  They could hand out coupons...It would go a long way to letting the LFS know we support the local guys.  It could also give the members some nice discounts.

6.  I kinda like the idea of shorter "Sit-down" meetings.  Then have more time for socializing/dinner after.

-------------
===========

Shawn Winterbottom

Posted By: Summertop
Date Posted: August 31 2007 at 10:01am
7.  Q and A Panel...We could have several of the "know it all" members field questions.  The presidency could get some from the messageboard to fill in any time gaps.  But if we advertise, members could come with their questions.  Again...a shorter sit down part with more time at the end to socialize/ go to dinner.

Hmmm...Maybe not so much as a panel...but an MC to facilitate questions with anyone else answering/discussing it.  If no one has a question at the moment...the MC could pose one from the messageboard.

For example...My sister is having a time with lots of algae (more than normal) growing on the glass of the tank.  Others would then "interrogate" her about her set up, feeding, filtration, etc.

-------------
===========

Shawn Winterbottom

Date Posted: August 31 2007 at 10:09am
Great ideas Summertop!! I agree with it all.

-------------

Date Posted: August 31 2007 at 10:10am

I find these comments very insightful and direct.  Unfortunately I'm not in a position to act on any of them (except for some advise on the topics) but I'm sure Heil will read each line here, and review each comment at the next pres meeting.

Adam

-------------

Date Posted: August 31 2007 at 11:02am
These are aweome suggestions. As Adam said, Shane Heil is following this and we will talk about all the ideas at the next presidency meeting. So far, we've had some great suggestions. I like the idea of meetings discussing things that a lot of us don't do but might be interested in learning about. Shawn's suggestions for fish only would be interesting. Bare bottom tanks have been brought up recently. That might be interesting too. Keep the ideas coming folks!

-------------

Posted By: Bob Kripfgans
Date Posted: September 04 2007 at 7:42pm
How about a celebration night for Utah Reefing...past to present. When it started and where we are today. Maybe some old clips or picks from the old days. Maybe some tanks from the old days...let's have Mark Peterson as a speaker. (He's an old timer) LOL and you to Adam!
What weve learned together as a group. Maybe a nominee as to the #1 single person who has helped the club and it's members thru the years...and roast him. (Ahhh that would be fun) Maybe contribute someting back to him...some donations.... send him for a trip to a reef and let him swim with all that we grow in our tanks. That would be way cool... Let's see 200 members at $5.00 = $1000.00
Looks like a great show of appreciation to me. I'm rambling only because my heart goes out to those that helped me to get into this wonderful hobby.

-------------
WMAS is da place!
Save the Banggai's!
Tooele,Ut.

Posted By: PDoug
Date Posted: October 09 2007 at 10:27pm
If the meetings did not occur the thurs after my graves I would be there. I get off my work rotation on thurs morning. More than anything everybody needs to loosen up and relax at meetings from what I saw on the videos and the one I made it to. Change the atmosphere I don't know about anyone else in the club but I have social anxiety so formal settings and I do not get along. Don't feel too bad superman I have only made it to fragfest tooEmbarrassed

-------------
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank

Posted By: pa_reptileman_4
Date Posted: October 09 2007 at 10:53pm
i do agree thurs are a bad day i am coming from hill where i dont get off until 430-5pm and then run home and change and then try to make it to slc by 6 or even 7 is impossible with the traffic.

-------------
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

Posted By: chk4tix
Date Posted: October 10 2007 at 1:10pm
Speaking of meetings, on the Upcomming events page, the main date for the December meeting....it currenlty says Tuesday, December 2nd at 7:00 PM    I dont have one of those on my callendar LOL

-------------
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Posted By: Shane H
Date Posted: October 10 2007 at 1:14pm
The December meeting will be on Tuesday, December 4th!

Date Posted: October 10 2007 at 2:49pm

That's better!

-------------

Date Posted: October 11 2007 at 1:24am
So I bet it would make meetings more exciting/traumatizing if Jamison showed up in his infamous speedoLOL Forgive me Jamison We do not know each other and for some reason on this forum you are the brunt of many a jest from your peers. That being said I think a pole dance is in order

-------------

Date Posted: October 11 2007 at 9:07am
I personally think Thursday's are great days for meetings.  IMO it doesn't matter what day they are on because everyone has such different schedules, there is always going to be a few people that can't make it.    We have had to miss a few meetingsCry luckily we were able to buy the DVD's of those meetings.  I love the meetings.  It is always great to see friends and make new ones.

-------------

Date Posted: October 11 2007 at 10:54am
Thursdays are great for me.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: October 11 2007 at 11:36am
Phillip,
Perhaps you should read this thread thouroughly prior to requesting pole dances. It's not that I'm fundamentally against it, but I'm all about safety first. Bring your ones!

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2730&KW=stripper+pole&PID=28686#28686 - http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2730&KW=stripper+pole&PID=28686#28686

-------------

Date Posted: October 11 2007 at 10:00pm
I would have to say posts like that make me proud to be a memberLOL I have a messload of ones too my friend

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net