Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xenia control

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xenia control
    Posted: July 09 2019 at 11:21am
As I rebuilt my reef tank, I added a frag that had a small piece of pompom xenia on it.  That little frag has grown a lot in size since.  I am currently in the wait and see stage, but I am worried it will get out of control.  Any advice on it?

I know that I can try to scrap/pull out clumps to help control it.  My concern is that I can't easily get to the lower clump.  Also, I heard you can use vinegar or lemon juice to kill them off in sections.  Just looking for things that people have done that works.

Thanks!

----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
Ephyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ephyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 2:47pm
I'm actually wanting to buy a PomPom Xenia frag, pm me if you want to sell a piece.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 6:05pm
agree, grow it and sell it
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 2:12pm
I tried a handful of methods but the one that a fellow reefer told me about that has been the most effective is using the hemostat pliers (Ones used for fly fishing). They grip on the base and pull the base right off of places without them breaking and floating off to a new home in the tank. So if it gets out of control I would suggest trying those out.
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 2:18pm
I have those, so I will probably just do that.  Thanks for all of the advise. 

Ephyris, let me know when you want to come and get some.  I am good with a trade for pods.  Although I have a ton, more should not hurt.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
Ephyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ephyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 8:06pm
Thanks for the Xenia frags, they're happy (and "safely" isolated) in their new tank!

Edited by Ephyris - July 16 2019 at 8:06pm
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 9:58pm
Glad they are working out for you.

If anyone else is interested in frags of pompom xenia, just message me.  I will have a few from time to time.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 4:44pm
Well, I am getting sick of the xenia in my tank.  I like the look of it, but even when I remove the stuff it keeps growing back.  Right now I have a small forest that is hurting the corals that I would rather see.  I have read that H2O2 is an option or using Kalk.  Does anyone have a suggestion on how to actually kill it that worked for you?
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 7:30pm
Sell it to me! Or trade me for clean rock. 

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2019 at 10:09am
I just have found that the manually removing with the forceps does remove them temporarily, but they just grow right back.  I don't mind the coral for the most part, but it is just growing out of control.  I just want to be able to completely remove it from certain areas.  That is why I was wondering if using kalk paste or something that I could use to kill/remove it.

Adam-I would do that, but it would be a pain to do all of that.  Right now I am not going in that direction.  I plan on doing a good cleaning in the next few days, so if you want it or if someone else is interested let me know.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
Ephyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ephyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2019 at 10:37pm
@Adam I have a medium sized Xenia rock(descended from the same colony) that I could trade for some clean rock.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic