Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank Parameters question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skyward Imaging View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyward Imaging Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank Parameters question
    Posted: May 19 2019 at 4:14pm
So I did some testing with the Red Sea Pro Test Kit and my parameters are as follows. 

Alk - 9.8dKH
Magnesium - 1800 (It tops out at 1600 and I used a little more so if my math is correct it is 1800)
Calcium - 450

Seems the Magnesium is high will this balance out over time or should I be doing something about it? 
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 7:58pm
When’s the last time you did a water change?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyward Imaging Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 8:00pm
I haven’t. It’s only about 3 weeks old.
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 9:02am
Did you retest to make sure your procedure was accurate? 2ml is not a lot of tank water and I hate my mag tests. 1 drop every 15 seconds. You need to follow the instructions the best you can. Also is you kit expired? I am assuming that you aren't dosing any magnesium. 

Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 9:43am
I would recommend you test your magnesium test kit against some newly mixed salt water. Usually salt comes with the expected levels printed on the side of the bucket/bag. If that measures high I would then test the water in someone else's tank or use someone else's test kit to verify your own tank.

Have you been dosing magnesium? 1800 is really high. If it really is that high I would work to bring it down.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 10:32am
Are you dosing or running a reactor?
What brand of salt are you using?
Do you have snails and other inverts in your tank?
Are you seeing something bad going on in your tank that you are trying to solve?
Do you have a target range that you are trying to hit for each of those values?

Sometimes reacting to a number is more of a problem than the actual number.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyward Imaging Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Are you dosing or running a reactor?
What brand of salt are you using?
Do you have snails and other inverts in your tank?
Are you seeing something bad going on in your tank that you are trying to solve?
Do you have a target range that you are trying to hit for each of those values?

Sometimes reacting to a number is more of a problem than the actual number.

Instant Ocean. No Dosing or Reactor. I have 10 hermits and 4 snails. Nothing bad going on just concerned it was high. I did a 3 gallon water change and retested it. It dropped to normal so I'm not going to overthink it. I might have did the Mag test incorrectly the first time. 

Calcium - 450
Alk - 9.2
Magnesium - 1600
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 3:19pm
I'm glad it came back normal. When I get a reading that is way far off of where it should be I always retest. 90% of the time, i did something wrong with the first test. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyward Imaging Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by knowen87 knowen87 wrote:

I'm glad it came back normal. When I get a reading that is way far off of where it should be I always retest. 90% of the time, i did something wrong with the first test. 

I'm glad too. Smile I am sure that I did something wrong the first go around. Wink
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 12:34pm
1600ppm for Mg is still quite high.

Regular instant ocean or reef crystals?

What are the target numbers you would like for your tank? 

A 3 gallon water change would not be able to reduce mag numbers from 1800 to 1600 unless that is a 70+% water change on your tank. I would definately question the accuracy of the first test. One thing I do when I get a really weird test number is to immediately test again to see if I get the same number. That usually tells me if I need to do something or not.

My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyward Imaging Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

1600ppm for Mg is still quite high.

Regular instant ocean or reef crystals?

What are the target numbers you would like for your tank? 

A 3 gallon water change would not be able to reduce mag numbers from 1800 to 1600 unless that is a 70+% water change on your tank. I would definately question the accuracy of the first test. One thing I do when I get a really weird test number is to immediately test again to see if I get the same number. That usually tells me if I need to do something or not.

I think the test was off the first time but I did 2 other tests with a new test kit and got 1600. My tank is 13.5 gallons and I did a 3 gallon water change. I’m not dosing and yes it’s regular instant ocean. However, I did use some rock and water from a tank I tore down to help with the cycle. I’m assuming that tank was off on their levels. Today is my 50% water change day so I’m going to retest after that settles. I just want the 3 to balance out so that’s my target.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic