Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reef Tour real time...comments?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2005 at 6:53pm
I missed lunch and didn't pee all day!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2005 at 6:54pm
Thanks everybody who came!

And, welcome to the wonderfully nerdy world of WMAS!
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2005 at 6:54pm

Dang, Suzy!!  You'd better grab a DP and relax!! 

Renee

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2005 at 7:11pm

Ended up with over 40.. Adam and his dad and Jake and his wife came by at around 4:30. I had a great time, especially watching the kids watch my fish.

A big thank you goes out to the presidency for all their hard work at putting this all together, after all, this is what we all want to do,  and that is to show off our pride and joy.

Our little peice of the ocean.

And a big thank you to everyone who came by and made this work!!

335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2005 at 7:33pm
I'm not a NERD Suzy!
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2005 at 7:34pm
By the way, I had 2 more groups tonight! I guess I'll be on the tour next year.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2005 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Weimers Weimers wrote:

Dang, Suzy!!  You'd better grab a DP and relax!! 

Renee

First pee, then DP! Added just a bit' Captain Morgan....
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2005 at 7:58pm
I love monarch rum with just a dash of diet pepsi!
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2005 at 9:57pm
We had 10 groups out here in the land of Herriman. I just think it is so cool that Adam's dad likes Led-Zeppelin.

Our 5th tour. 5 years of fun!!!
Keep your hands and arms inside the tank and enjoy the ride!

Steve
kethomps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kethomps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2005 at 10:03pm
We had about 50 people. 

The last ones about 5 minutes ago.  9pm?  better take the signs down or leave them up and they will be visiting tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone that showed up, it was so awesome to talk and show the tanks and the plumbing.  We got lots of 'holy craps', which I will take as a compliment!

I also heard about Suzy's chemistry lab and Asad's electronics lab.  We would love to see what everyone else has done with their setups. 

Edited by kethomps
210g sw fish
West Jordan
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 3:48am
Hey Reef Tour Hosts!!!!

I have been following this list most of the day and was able to make it to about 5 houses today( I started at 3:00pm). Thank you so much for inviting us into your homes and showing us the fruits of so many hours of labor. I would have liked to make it to more homes but unfortunatly I ran out of time. I have only been involved in the club for a little over a month and I have learned a ton from you so far. Please keep up the good work!!

If I may offer some suggestions for next year's reef tour --

I was planning on taking my parents to a few homes ( they are both huge scuba/snorkling fans ) and was unable to get in contact with them until late this afternoon because they had been out of town. It turns out that they passed a reef tour sign and didn't know that it was open to the public. I believe that if they were able to gain more info from the sign, that they would have stopped on their own. I think that if the signs were a bit more informative then many more people would show up (drenching rain or not). May be add a blurb or two about what the tour is and who can participate.

Do you think it would be a good idea to split the tour into sections? Say, North salt lake on one weekend, south salt lake on another, ogden, provo, etc. You could even go according to seasons so that every couple of months there is an event. I think that a year is a long time to remember that their is a sweet reef  tour sometime in October. Unless you are a member then you don't remember. This would provide you with better word of mouth advertizing due to the elongated time frame  and the reefers would be able to check out the other tanks as well. I would have liked to tour further north and south, but didn't have the time to get out of salt lake. I believe it was 44 houses, no way could I have seen them all. And if I decide to show my tank  next year then I will miss out on the clubs tanks at their finest.

Anyway, I had a blast and I can't wait until next year! I would like to thank everyone again for their hospitality (online and offline).

Sincerly,
Jeff Rasmussen
Jeff Rasmussen

joliverson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joliverson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 10:11am

I think jeff makes an excellent point.  I was only able to make it from Provo to South Salt Lake.  I had a great time at the homes I was able to visit.  I wish I could have seen the folks north of Salt Lake because I know I missed some great reefkeepers!

This idea would assist some of us who know the local tanks to get out and see some tanks at a bit farther distance.

Thanks to those of you who put up with my kids.  They didn't enjoy the tour as much as they enjoyed your dogs, toys, candy, yard sales, birds, rocking horses, air hockey tables, and couches!  A memorable expirience to say the least.

Jody Oliverson

"I glue animals to rocks" - Sloth from RC
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 10:15am
Thanks, Jeff! We have been doing our Reef Tour for 10 years! This was a
special anniversary edition! I'm really glad you enjoyed it because we love
doing it!

I think about the tour for the whole stinkin' summer!

Sometimes during the year, we have impromptu mini-tours, for certain
areas. So far, we've let those areas kinda handle it on their own. Getting
ready for the annual tour is pretty time consuming for those involved and
when it's over, I'm glad! But, after a few months, I get pumped again!

Keep watching the MB. Somebody will start a mini-tour!

Showing your tank doesn't mean you miss out on any tanks! You still
have the guide? PM anybody! I'm sure they will love to show you their
tank. I have never been turned down when I've asked to see a tank. We
have 360 other days to see tanks, right? (Adam, you'll notice I've left out
Mom's Day, Spouses Birthday, ect!!!).

You are welcome to see our tanks any time! And, contrary to the mis
rumors going around, I do NOT have a chemistry lab. (It's a biology lab)
kethomps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kethomps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 11:07am
Oh yes, it's a biology lab, the chemistry lab would be illegal.  Lights on at night, growing stuff, cops circling the neighborhood.
210g sw fish
West Jordan
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 1:48pm
I didn't match my number of 70 last year but it was a pretty busy day.  I ended up with a total of 55.  Thanks to all that came I enjoyed showing  my tanks.  Like Suzy said, if anyone wants to come by and look or come back and look or even come back and buy frags just call you're always welcome.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 5:44pm

This was my first time showing my tank on the reef tour.  It was SOO MUCH FUN!  Thanks everyone for comming.  We put a lot of work, time, and money (well mostly money) into this hobby.  It is great to be able to share it with others.  I look forward to next years event.

Oh, about 100 visitors.  OK...About 50 were family.

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 7:03pm
I didnt have very many at all. Total maybe 15. However The people that did stop by were very nice. It was a pleasure having them over. I must just have a bad location.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 8:13pm
This is just my take, OK? I think the number of people who show
corresponds with the number of flyers in the area?

sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 10:22pm
I can't stop thinking about how much fun this years tour was. Thankyou to everyone making it all happen and to those hosting an visiting. Let's do it again in 11 and a half months.

Are there any other Herriman reefers who want to host next year?
Keep your hands and arms inside the tank and enjoy the ride!

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic