Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Light spectrum in ocean throughout day?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light spectrum in ocean throughout day?
    Posted: March 16 2019 at 8:45am
Hi,

Is anyone aware of a study on what the light spectrum is in the ocean throughout 24 hours?
We now have these LED light systems that can easily change the light output which I can control over time but I have been unable to find a study on this.
All I can find is the basic: What the spectrum is at 12Noon.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Kevin
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 3:51am
The spectrum will change more to blue as the sun lowers in altitude, to a point, due to the longer sight lines causing more water to effectively be between the corals and the sun, and because water absorbs red light. "To a point" as in once the sun gets low, light scatters in the atmosphere more in the blue and less in the red, so we lose that blue light intensity as the sun sets (hence red sunsets). The ocean begins to darken faster, at relatively deeper depths, than the sky would due to red light absorption in water once again. Opposite for morning. At least that's how the physics would work.
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 7:16pm
Blue spectrum penetrates deeper in to the water as well.
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic