Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first big tank (180 gallons)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Inthenameofweez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first big tank (180 gallons)
    Posted: February 27 2019 at 9:56am
Hello all!!

After selling my previous 90 gal due to a newborn, the wife and I have decided to tackle a 180 gal together.

She's now older and very helpful!

Of course, the plastic framing is cracked due to being stored outdoors. I'm looking for help either replacing or building a stainless/aluminum frame before getting it up and running. I leak tested and all is good, but I'm draining it tonight in preparation to paint the back and stand. I also need help with plumbing. How do I tell if my bottom is tempered? I'm told it is most likely a Marineland aquarium. Who could come to my house and refresh my reefer memory?

Clayton
Three 85 three 19-0464

Edited by Inthenameofweez - February 27 2019 at 12:28pm
-Clayton
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2019 at 11:13am
I've never refurbished an aquarium before so I cant help you with that. You can tell if something is tempered using polarized glasses. Take it out in the sun and look for darker/shady lines running through the glass. If it has these lines then it is tempered. Another way is to shine a lcd screen (we used an portable dvd player. If you see rainbows in the glass then it is tempered. I would make sure that you have identified tempered glass somewhere else (often times you can find tempered glass near doorways or in your car) so that you know what it looks like and dont get a false negative because you don't know what you are looking for.  I will add that it is very common for tanks to have tempered bottoms. I will also add that my trust in used tanks has deteriorated to the point that I don't use them especially in a big new setup because I wont sleep well at night. $1000 for a new tank is cheaper than replacing the floors. Then again, no tank is immune to the possibility of failure. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic