Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recommended Salt Mix?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommended Salt Mix?
    Posted: December 27 2018 at 6:33pm

I couldn't find a topic about this feel free to point me to it if there is one.

I’m looking for a good & affordable salt mix for a softie/LPS tank with very few to no SPS. What do you guys recommend? I’ve used Red Sea Coral Pro (Purple) but is it really worth the cost for what i'm doing?

TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 7:03pm
IMHO, I'd just stick with Instant Ocean.  Get it cheap with free delivery from chewy.com.  I have a mixed reef and just test the change water and add to get to the levels I need.  Bruce Ewald has some high quality additives that Rusty's Reef sells.  Why pay more?
210 gallon Mixed Reef
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 7:16pm
I do not disagree with triggerhappy. I use oceanic, but see no issue in using Instant Ocean. I believe it is the most used salt in the world.
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 9:10am
The issue with instant ocean is that's missing all the other elements that corals "need".  I use instant ocean myself, but I dose lots of other things to make up for the missing stuff in the salt.

The truth is, though, if you feed a healthy, varied diet, you probably wont notice a difference with softies and LPS, and maybe even SPS.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 12:41am
What else do you need to dose, when using Instant Ocean?

Adam

Edited by Adam Blundell - December 29 2018 at 12:41am
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 10:49am
Adam - I add some calcium chloride and soda ash.  The last test I did for change water, the Ca was 300 and the Alk was 5.5.  I did not bother with Mg, but will check that next time. YMMV of course. 
210 gallon Mixed Reef
kevski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 6:36pm
I really like Liveaquaria salt! Plus if you get it on sale and use additional coupons they run regularly you can get it for less than $40 for a 200 g box! (I bought 3 boxes for $30 each) Plus it’s actually Fritz salt, which has had a lot if good feedback from several well respected people on this forum and the internet. I highly recommend it!
100 G Mixed Reef / AI Hydra 52 HD-T5 Hybrid
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 7:34pm
How do you know its Fritz salt?
kevski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 7:36pm
Did a lot of reading on line and it’s packaged the same way.
kevski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 7:38pm
Did a lot of reading on line. The chemical makeup is the same (calcium, mag, etc) and it’s packaged the same.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic