Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - setting up a new tank and tearing down an old one
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

setting up a new tank and tearing down an old one

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: setting up a new tank and tearing down an old one
    Posted: December 19 2018 at 3:09pm
I'm getting a new tank for Christmas, and want to avoid killing anything as I set up the new tank.

I currently have a 100 gallon tank up and running with healthy corals, clams, fish and a ton of inverts, shrimps, crabs, snails and all the cool stuff).

I am replacing it with a 150 gallon tank.

The problem is the new tank is going to be positioned in the exact same spot as the old one.

So I have to tear the old one down completely before I set up the new one.

This is what I plan to do:

Remove water in buckets and totes.

Remove corals and place them in the totes.

Once the corals are out I plan to remove most of the rock.

I'm going to try to not disturb any sand.

Once most of the rock is out, I am going to drain more water out.

I'll then remove all the snails and crabs that I can find, and the last of the rock.

At this point the water will become to cloudy for me to want to reuse, I assume it will be about 20 gallons of water, I'll remove the rest of the water in a tote that I plan to dump later.

I'll check to see if there are any more critters in tank.

I'll then move the old tank and stand out of the way.

Put the new tank and stand in place.

Remove the sand from the old tank and place it in the new tank.  Add some additional new sand, and put some water in the tank.

Once I have enough water I will start to place the base rocks and then all more old water and place the rocks and corals in the tank.

I'll continue to fill the tank with the rest of the old water and at this point will start to add new water, I'll have at least 50 gallons of new water to place in tank plus what ever was removed earlier.

All the new water will be room temperature about 70 - 72 degrees.  I generally keep the tank at 78 degrees, but I expect to loose heat and have the whole system down to room temperature.

Once everything is up and running, I'll turn the sump back on, I'm not going to replace filter socks yet.

I'll let the system run for a few hours and check the water clarity and check for ammonia.

If I see ammonia, I'll deal with it, but I don't expect any yet.

I'll place the old lights on the tank for a day or two, and will then replace them with new LED lights.
the old lights are 2X250 DE MHQI + 2 t5ho bulbs.

I'm replacing it with 2 Kessiel a360X pendents.

I'll run daily water quality checks, and watch for any signs of trouble.

Everything in life is possible. You just have to dream big, and act bigger.

150 G Reef
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 3:09pm
Now what do I need to change, and what can I add to more successful?

150 G Reef
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 5:52pm
I've done this a few times. I'd consider getting rid of all the sand, and getting all new sand.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 9:27am
Adam, Thanks for the input I have been considering that.  Will I loose out on a lot of bacteria if I do that?

I have a few things that in the sand, such as snails and some horseshoe crabs and a sea cucumber.

Anything special I should do with them?

I was planning on adding 50% new sand, but I have no issue with going 100%.  I appreciate your input.

150 G Reef
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 10:35am
It will sort of recycle, but I prefer that to releasing nutrients into the tank.  Tough call.

Adam
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 10:47am
I think that releasing the nutrients is more harmful, that is what I want to avoid.

My sand bed isn't that deep so I think I will follow your recommendation, I can always feed the little guys directly on the sand.

I can also pick up some live bugs.  I'll be sure to do that as well.

Thanks for the input anything else you would do?

150 G Reef
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 11:13am
1) You should have more water than you think you need. I always use at least double what I think I need so make sure that you have as much extra water as you can. 
2) What about the fish. They are always my #1 priority and can be hard to find. I think your water will be cloudy from trying to catch the fish and you cant just drain all the water out because sometimes they hide in the rocks as you drain the water and they will die cause they cant get out. I lost a chromis and a blenny that way. Often times you can hear them flopping around and put the rock back under but not always. Make a list of your fish cause it can be hard to remember in the heat of the moment. Try to see if any fish have a favorite spot. 
3) put a pump that agitates the water or an airstone or something in with the fish cause theyll use up all their oxygen. I lost my 6" Lamark angel and almost my yellow tang to this problem. 
4) Lots of towels. There is going to be lots of water on your floor
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 1:50pm
Great points.  
I'll make sure to list them out.  
I have a lot of shrimp as well so I'll do the same with them.

I hope to not stir up the sand to much in the beginning, but as you mentioned it will happen.

Just picking up the rocks will cause sediment to stir.

I'll make sure I put an airstone in the bucket with them.  I also have ample spare power heads I can put in if it looks like they need it.

I'm going to get the new tank plumbed up and ready for water.  if I wasn't putting it in the same location I would set them both up and let the new tank slowly cycle, but I don't have the space.

I have moved tanked before, but moving a 50 gallon tank isn't that hard, and I wasn't replacing an old one.

150 G Reef
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 1:57pm
 I also use new sand when moving a tank. There is enough junk and critters on the bottom of your rock to seed the new sand. There is just so much junk in an old sand bed. The rocks will help to stabilize the biological filtration. 
WaitForIt... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 2:06pm
I avoided totes all together and loaded everything (except old sand) into a plastic kiddie pool.  I put the heater and powerheads in the pool to keep everything stable and moving.  Rock, corals, fish, and inverts all made it into the tank the next morning with no trouble.
It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 4:22pm
I too love the pool idea.
I also put down a painter's plastic drop cloth.
Adam
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2018 at 10:21am
Transition went well.

Fighting a few drips in the plumbing.

Tank looks amazing.

All the fish made it over and the coral is adjusting to the lighting.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Especially on replacing the sand. I think that alone made it so I didn’t have major issues with nutrients.

Once the coral adjusts I’ll post pics.

150 G Reef
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 7:30am
Congratulations, I'm glad it went so well for you. It is always fun to get new things. How long did it end up taking you?
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 5:07pm
It was a couple of hours in all.

However I waited 24 hours after filling the tank to add the live stock.

I wanted all the extra sediment for the new sand to settle out.

Tear down was about 90 minutes.

It took me the longest to get the new tank set up, as I had to plumb it still.

Tank setup and fill was about 2 hours.

and day 2 placing the more sensitive corals, clams, fishes and inverts took about 30 minutes.

I ended up using a a large cooler for the live stock, I placed two power heads and a heater in it and left the lid open.  the temp stayed on point, and the water flow was great.  I didn't have a kiddie pool else I would have used that.

I ran out of RO water at the end of the tank fill up, so I resorted to tap water, that wasn't planned.  I added some prime to that water to ensure no chlorine, I don't like tap water, but given the circumstance it was that or nothing...

I'll post some picks later this week, as I really like how it turned out.

150 G Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic