Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to Saltwater

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mk4wheeler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk4wheeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to Saltwater
    Posted: June 20 2018 at 2:44pm
Hey ya'll! Total newbie here. I've been keeping freshwater tanks for 2 years and I'm ready for my first saltwater reef tank!
I'm currently deciding between the 16g BioCube and the 32g. The 32g gives me more room, but I worry it will be hard to move in case I move next year. In addition, I plan to move to California for grad school when I finish my undergrad (in 3 years) and I worry that moving a tank that size to California is going to be awful.
Do any of you have experience moving tanks in that size range? I'm not totally convinced that moving a 16 gallon is going to be that much easier than moving a 32 gallon.

Anyways, I'm probably going to be asking for a lot of advice once I get my tank set up in a couple of weeks, so I'm sure you'll see me around. Smile
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 4:09pm
 Welcome to the community. I don't think that you will find that a 32 gallon tank is harder to move than a 16g. My first saltwater tank was a 29 gallon. I think that having the larger tank will help you be more successful at keeping your parameters in check. Just make sure you don't overstock either one and you'll do fine. 
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 7:01pm
Go 32
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
theresawhite View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theresawhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 7:18am

Welcome :)  Glad to have you as part of our group.

I'd say if you're already thinking about going bigger, then best to just do it now if you can.

MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 1:19pm
Go bigger.
I moved over 100 gallons to Corvallis Oregon, only to move back within months. No coral, fish, or shrimp died.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic