Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Urgent help.!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hugo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urgent help.!
    Posted: March 20 2018 at 9:33pm

My tank has been running for years without any problem. However, it is currently getting a lot of algae. Although I have been trying to scrub it off, use vinegar, and change the water, the algea just keeps comming back. Has any of you ran in the same problem? Any ideas on how to treat it?
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 10:06pm
That looks like it could be dinoflagilate algae. It's very hard to get rid of but there are some new products out on the market that include a product called fluconozole. This has been a huge game changer against algae's including Bryopsis, dinoflagilates, and even pink cotton candy algae. Do some searches online and I think you will find tons of information on the brands available and the results of it's use.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Hugo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 10:35pm
Tks for your advice Kazie .!
Reefer5640 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer5640 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 10:36pm
I’ve kept reef tanks for over ten years and random algae blooms are just one of the sucky parts of the hobby... For me, the most important thing is pinpointing the nutrient increase. The problem is there are so many things that can cause an algae bloom it’s hard to pin it down sometimes, and second pinning down what type of algae you’re dealing with. If that is dinoflagellates they aren’t as scary or hard to get rid of as some of the forums might say. But it is a nasty one. Hard to tell in the pics, does it look like brown snot with bubles trapped in the tips?
What are your NO3 and PO4 levels, any change in feeding, lighting change (old bulbs), what are you using for nutrient control, what kind of water do you use for your top off, is it getting any new sunlight (changing seasons...), any change in flow? These are a few of the questions I usually ask myself when one of my tanks has a random algae bloom.
30 g softie, 30 g frag tank, 65 g HT/QT, 75 g mixed reef, 55 g FOWLR, 75 g live rock curing tank, & a 120 gal �consolidation� build in progress
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic