Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what's wrong with my Prime HD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what's wrong with my Prime HD
    Posted: October 18 2017 at 12:39am
It's 12:37 AM and the moonlight is off. Earlier, before I went to bed, I noticed it was much dimmer than usual. Is something wrong?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 7:50am
It could be a bad led or power supply. I don't know how these are built but when I have an led go out, I check the voltage out of the power supply. If it looks good, I test on a loose led.
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 8:26am
The AI lights have a lunar feature that might be on. This adjusts the power of your moonlight settings between 100% of what you set and 0% when there is no 'moon'. I think this may be what you have on. My moon lights on my AI Hydra are noticeably dimmer about 1/3rd the nights and completely off approximately 3 nights a month.
60g LPS Cube
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 10:15am
Lunar feature. It was a new moon last night :)
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 4:39pm
Bingo. shaggydoo and evan127 knew it. Thumbs Up

Like MadReefer, I was like, what the heck, has the light gone bad. I linked my tablet to the Prime and found the program was intact. I did the quick "play" of the program and in a matter of 24 seconds the light went through it's entire daily sequence. The moonlight came on when it was supposed to. 
Then it hit me!
This light is one of the newest and smartest lights on the market today. Maybe the real moon isn't up yet or maybe it's a New Moon. Sure enough, I went to www.moongiant.com and saw that the moon wasn't going to be rising until 3am, but most important, it would hardly be visible because it was the last of the Waning Crescent with only 6% visible. That website also showed that tonight is the New Moon. 

I love nature and space, but as each night comes and nature puts me into my sleep trance, I drift into wonderland, oblivious to the amazing wonders of the universe. 
When I'm awake, I am grateful to the companies like AI, that made these fancy LED lights to imitate nature. Also, when I am awake, I'm grateful to Lance/Boxfish for offering these AI LED lights at a bargain price. If not for him, I would still be messing with t5s and would have missed this cool experience. Beer Lance, this ones for you. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 5:03pm
Oh, here is Lance's thread. I understand there is a waiting list for these lights, most of which are Amazon returns, many of which are new in the box.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 6:58pm
I skip the obvious. Thinking that if someone is taking the time to ask a question, they already checked that.

Edited by MadReefer - October 18 2017 at 7:00pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 7:41pm
Thanks all for your help. I didn't mean to throw anyone off, just to share that my dismay at what I initially thought was a broken light later turned into extreme gratitude. Compared to the old days of Metal Halide and Fluorescent lights, these LEDs are absolutely fantastic in so many ways.  This hobby and its hobbyists are awesome. Aloha.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic