Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heater sizing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
speyside712 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speyside712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heater sizing
    Posted: July 15 2017 at 1:47pm
Hey everyone, im setting up a new system and trying to determine how strong my heater(s) should be.

I have a 90 gallon display and a 36 gallon sump. Shooting to keep the water 77-78. My other equipment doesnt produce much heat so the water is running about 70 all the time without a heater. I keep my house pretty cold.

I know heater failure is a common cause of tank disasters and ive seen it first hand (my brother in law lost his whole setup due to this) so I would like to set up as much of a fail proof system as possible. I was thinking two undersized heaters (so if one fails in the off position it cant cook the tank). I have an apex to turn off the power if the tank gets too hot, but id like a little redundancy too if possible.

How does two 100 watt heaters sound? Is that too much, too little? Im looking at the eheim jager model, they are glass.

What do you guys use, any recommendations?

P.S. Mark I know you recommend no heater at all 😂
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2017 at 4:09pm
Smile I recommend no heater only from late Spring to early Fall, depending on temperature. It's been discussed very well in a Reefkeeping Tip, copied here for your convenience:

Heaters and water Temperature, what's best? http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79571

There are reasons for those recommendations based on good biological science. 70 degrees is a little on the cool side, but coral and fish like it just fine for the reasons discussed in that thread. Why do we always hear that 78 is a good aquarium temperature? It's a bad carry-over from the keeping of tropical freshwater aquariums. Yes, we know the ocean surface water temperature at the equator can be 80 or above, but our boxes of water are not exactly like the ocean. We must treat them a little different.

It's my opinion that manufacturer recommendations for heater wattage are wrong for reef aquariums. You are correct. Using just one undersized heater or, if it makes you feel better, two even smaller heaters is very good practice. The brother-in-law's experience proves that.

I have had heaters fail in the ON position in my own tanks and those I maintain, but by following the advice in that Reefkeeping Tip I have never had a tank overheat to where any animals died.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 4:50am
Most heaters will just stop heating but the occasional stick on scenario sucks. Dont skimp on heaters because you do get what you pay for... but also, make sure you dont get ripped off. I usually shoot for a heater that is slightly larger than required just in case my house heater doesnt decide to work. Two smaller ones would work well too but getting a single smaller one usually causes it to cycle on more often which runs it down faster.

I personally prefer eheim due to how they heat. Its my understanding they stay on longer at a lower wattage than others to keep the water from rising and falling in temp as much. Seems to use less power since its not having to heat from lower temperatures. They also seem to last longer.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 8:47am
The King of Cheap doesn't buy cheap heaters. Embarrassed Eheim Jager is what I use, too.

Has a study ever been done to document the most common way that heaters fail? The reason I ask is because my experience is the opposite of Paul's. For me, heaters have most often failed by sticking permanently ON.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic