Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radion XR15 V3 help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radion XR15 V3 help
    Posted: June 10 2017 at 3:03pm
Okay so I have the radion XR15 pro v3 over my CADlights 60g cube so its 24"x24"x24" I started with the program running about 40% intensity a week and half ago and slowly moved up to 50% but my anemones and Zoas/palys are still really reaching for the light. I don't want to fry my tank so I figured take it slow. I do have a st thomas blue mushroom thats fairly low in the tank that is loosing all color and I don't know if its because they just aren't getting enough light or what??? Any one use this light? Any help would be appreciated.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 10:33pm
Sorry to read of your troubles.
May we see a pic of this tank with the Radion?
What light was the blue mushroom under before this?

FWIW, When I use these high value LED's I start out by adjusting the color channels to approximate the look of the previous light, but then I turn it down to a lower intensity. 
Why?
Because LED's are very bright in a few narrow bands of the spectrum that our eyes do not recognize as bright. Though some coral may look like they are stretching for light, all coral are not alike. It's just as possible that 50% intensity of the Radion is bleaching the mushrooms. Why do I say this? Because high light bleaches coral quickly whereas insufficient light is not typically seen as the reason for bleaching, at least not quickly.

All of this is said, of course, with the assumption that nothing else in the tank has changed.

Below is an example of how dim the lighting looks under good LED lights. This is a client/friends 29 gal tank that was previously lighted by a Chinese black box LED(blue, white, red, green) which made the tank look about 25-35% brighter. Yet this new light has made the coral look much better in every way and their growth, in fact the growth of the entire tank, has exploded under the new light. The Caulerpa has doubled in size since installing the new light 2 weeks ago. Asked if he wanted me to harvest the Caulerpa, my friend, a man after my own heart, said, "No".

Aloha.
Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 7:54am
Jackie How high is your light mounted above the tank? Which lens is on the Radion (TIR or wide angle)? Are you running one of Ecotech's schedules or your own?
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Jackie How high is your light mounted above the tank? Which lens is on the Radion (TIR or wide angle)? Are you running one of Ecotech's schedules or your own?

Its roughly 11" above the water line. I finally decided I liked the coral radiance program the best and set it at 50% intensity. Everything is looking good other than the reaching and the one mushroom which it may have not liked the tank transfer and thats why its struggling.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 6:31pm
The height is good. I was worried maybe it was spotlighting the shroom if it was close but you should be fine. When I acclimate need Corals to led I do utter over a few weeks to make sure they don't get shock.  If the shroom doesn't start looking better try moving it under a ledge or in a hole to shade it some and see if that makes it happier.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

The height is good. I was worried maybe it was spotlighting the shroom if it was close but you should be fine. When I acclimate need Corals to led I do utter over a few weeks to make sure they don't get shock.  If the shroom doesn't start looking better try moving it under a ledge or in a hole to shade it some and see if that makes it happier.

yeah I will do that. Everything else looks great, a lot of the coral I have in there right now actually came from tanks lit with LED so thats good that they were already acclimated to it.

Oh and here is a link to my thread I started of the tank:) Jackies 60g cube

Edited by bstuver - June 13 2017 at 5:10pm
Jackie Stuver

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

a lot of the coral I have in there right now actually came from tanks lit with LED so thats good that they were already acclimated to it.
Ermm  LED's are all different, not running the same spectrum, nor the same intensity. I would suggest the same caution be used when moving coral from tanks with LED's as when moving coral from tanks with fluorescent lighting, MH lighting and/or sunlight.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2017 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

a lot of the coral I have in there right now actually came from tanks lit with LED so thats good that they were already acclimated to it.
Ermm  LED's are all different, not running the same spectrum, nor the same intensity. I would suggest the same caution be used when moving coral from tanks with LED's as when moving coral from tanks with fluorescent lighting, MH lighting and/or sunlight.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Yes Mark I get that and I didn't say that they were however several of my corals came from the tank that was using my actual light. I have been acclimating and will continue to do so.
Jackie Stuver

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic