Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

reef salt?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jaywilson709 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaywilson709 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reef salt?
    Posted: April 28 2017 at 6:35am
so being new to reefing, I am curious about what brands of salt the other hobbyist use for their tanks. is it money well spent to buy the more expensive salts, is there that much of a difference?  what is the best bang for your buck!
Thanks, Jay
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 8:58am
I've almost always used Instant Ocean with good results. With my newest tank I've been using the orange Reef Crystals, and have no complaints. I think most salts will give you good results and don't feel like spending a ton of $$$ on salt will lead to a better tank.
60g LPS Cube
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 8:59am
A lot of people are jumping on the Fritz RPM salt.  I have been using it for a while and have no complaints. 

I don't think you are going to notice a huge difference buying better salt, many of the greatest tanks around still use instant ocean.
Stez38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stez38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 10:23pm
I have been using Red Sea coral pro and I know it works well, but I have never tried any other brand. I just know with coral reef pro I haven't had to add any additives for my corals and they look great.

Edited by Stez38 - April 29 2017 at 10:25pm
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 3:45pm
I've used HWMarine for years. Until they stop manufacturing it, I will not switch to anything else.
MalcolmM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MalcolmM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 9:42am
I use this salt too. I think it's pretty good.

Edited by MalcolmM - October 23 2019 at 12:27pm
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 10:08am
Every salt mix is just a tad bit different as far as trace elements go .... some have a bit higher calc than others but for the most part the difference is minuscule. Quite a few of us buy Instant Ocean because its cheaper and can be found at many pet stores and online.The only salt I will never use is the cheapest stuff at petco i bought once... after mixing the water was cloudy for hours and didnt seem to mix as nice as any other salt i have purchased.

If you decide to change salts dont do a 100% change with new salt... do a blend of new and old so it wont shock your corals.
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 12:52pm
Fritz RPM has been some of my favorite so far and the price is very reasonable. I swore off Instant Ocean long ago. The bucket of Reef Crystals I got was terrible. The few dollars in savings isn't worth it for me
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic