Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grape caulerpa help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SFReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grape caulerpa help
    Posted: March 31 2017 at 10:16pm
I have a ton of grape caulerpa in my main display that I cannot seem to get rid of. It seemed to be thinning out and getting under control but now it is back in full force. I have a 40 gallon breeder with a 20 gallon sump. I am doing a 5 gallon water change weekly and only feed the fish every other day. I love the one spot foxface which I have heard would take care of it but I think my tank is too small.

Can anyone give me any other ideas of how to get this under control?

Thank you for your help.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 1:45am
If you get a small foxface and take it out when it starts getting too large. Be sure to note that they have venomous spines. Other choices are yellow tang but they can be jerks. Also, you could run some GFO or phosban/phosguard to help keep the phosphates down which help to feed it.
SFReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 7:13am
Thank you for the response. What does the gfo or phosban/phosguard do to other things in my tank (if anything)? I mean corals, fish, coraline algae, etc.? How do I run it and how does it work exactly? Does it stay in all the time? How long does it take to take effect? On the other hand, if I put in a foxface how long would it be before I would have to get it out of there?

Thank you foe your help with this.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 4:03pm
GFO (granular ferric oxide) and phosban/phosguard (aluminum oxide) help to reduce the nitrates in your tank. The simplest but not most effective way is to run it in a media bag placed in a high flow area of the tank. They will not harm any of your inhabitants but be sure to rinse them well so you don't get the silty leftovers floating around. Depeding on which one you use, you'll use it from 4 days to 6 months but that also depends on the levels of phosphate in your tank. More phosphate, the less time you'll get with the chemicals as they'll saturate faster.

The foxface in your tank kind of depends on how often you feed it. The more you feed it, the faster it will grow. They can be coral munchers though so if you're just using it to get rid of the algae, then get it out sooner than later if you have corals. The size of when you get it out just depends on you and how comfortable you feel it is in that size of a tank.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic