Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asking the experienced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 4:01pm
Everyone has given great advise.  Consistency, Stability, Mechanical and biological filters for good export of excess nutrients.  
Passion for the hobby, love the hobby. The more care you put into it, the more you get out of it.
Form good maintenance routines and stick to them and don't try to overthink nature.

My door is always open to anyone who needs help or just wants to come chat.   I wont bite.Big smile.

335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 4:26pm
I second the advice to have backup pumps in the event of equipment failure. Fish will suffocate quicker than you can imagine without aeration. Also quarantine all new fish added to an established system. I learned both these lessons the hard way.

Patience is key and research is essential. Impulse buys rarely go well.

I'm not a believer in testing. I think the best way to tell is constant observation of your tank. Coloration and polyp extension are nearly always the best indicator of health and potential problems.

Finally, I love to feed and filter with only carbon and wc. This isn't the norm and I point out just to show success can be found in all sorts of setups. Don't be afraid to ask questions, apply your own judgement, and prepare for mistakes to be made. Never stop learning as this hobby changes constantly.
60g LPS Cube
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 11:12pm
Success is not achieved by following a simple roadmap, unless you consider constant care and observation with patience in action and knowledge of the possibilities to be sufficient enough to be called a roadmap.
I'm always amazed by the diversity of successful methods, while at the same time someone can fail following in footsteps.
I read over and over that you have to find your own way, the way that works for you, and that nothing good happens fast.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic