Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heater in Fuge?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heater in Fuge?
    Posted: February 14 2017 at 7:56pm
So i'm wanting to put a fuge in my sump. The only place I have room is the same place as my heater. Will this cause issues like improper heating or fires!? Anyone else having to do this? 
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 8:23pm
I don't understand how having a heater in the fuge could cause a fire as long as its fully submerged. When you say "put in a fuge" are you meaning that you are going to designate a space in the sump for sand/rock/algae? Or are you physically going to install another glass/acrylic piece?

Either way as long as nothing heavy rests on the heater (algae touching it is fine) it shouldn't be an issue.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 12:14pm
That's okay but a heater works best when placed in a good water stream, like near the return pump intake rather than in the Refugium. 
One maintenance professional I used to work with went so far as to insist the heater be situated with the top, the thermostat section, upstream. If the heating element section is upstream, when the heat comes on the warm water passes over the thermostat section and turns the heater off prematurely. Does that make sense?

BTW, some hobbyists set their heater at too high of a temperature which can result in overheating if things go wrong or when the weather heats up. There is a Reefkeeping Tip about it. See the link below in my signature line.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 1:24pm
I have my heater in the refugium. The problem with putting the heater in the return pump chamber is if your water top off goes out, that's typically the chamber where the water level goes down, so your heater can become exposed if you're not careful. I speak from experience! (It's never good with the wife asks, "What that burning plastic smell?")

Marks right though, high flow is better. Other wise the heater heats the water around it, but by the time it flows back up into the tank it's cooled off. I have two temp probes, one in the refugium with the heater and one in the main display. My sump (around the heater) typically runs around 81 and the display is around 77.

Edited by Hogie - February 15 2017 at 3:12pm
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 7:08pm
I agree with the flow but I never put my heater next to the pump either because most pumps put off some heat and then the heater shuts off before it should. Also for the same reason Hogie said that's the chamber that lowers if your water isn't topped off
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 8:24pm
I also have a second heater behind my overflow to my sump that's up in the tank. I'm hoping with the 2 of them it will stay balanced. And yes the cheto I will use will touch the heater. It does have a plastic grid guard around it for protection. Nothing else will be touching it. 
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 8:50pm
I also use 2 heaters, one in my overflow and one in the center chamber (fuge) of my sump.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 12:07pm
Certainly the heater should be positioned so that even if something happens where the sump water level gets to the bare minimum the heater won't be out of water. 

I don't disagree with anyone that wants to use two heaters, but there is the difference in how I set up tanks. I use one heater in the winter set at 74 degrees and remove it in the summer allowing the tank water to stay around room temperature. Everything does just fine, coral grow great and the risk of heater failure is almost nil. Tank troubles don't happen at 70 degrees but coral can really stress at over 81 degrees.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic