Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank equipment: What could this be for?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
L5KFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L5KFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank equipment: What could this be for?
    Posted: January 14 2017 at 2:59pm
I acquired some random supplies and this looks like some kind of hang-on-back setup, but no clue other than that. Any ideas? In the 2nd pic there's a rectangle piece with a tube through it, was fit snug in the top with a rubber band for a seal.

SharkByteShaz View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkByteShaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2017 at 3:21pm
Looks like a knock off Aqua C Urchin,
HOLD MY BEER, I WANT TO TRY SOMETHING...
L5KFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L5KFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2017 at 7:21pm
Ah OK. Is there anything missing? I thought skimmers churned or mixed air in too, etc
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2017 at 8:01pm
Yes, it is supposed to mix in air, but it was a poor design and never worked very well. Yes, something is missing; air line tubing. 
Look at the MaxiJet powerhead. The black plastic cone shaped piece that is shoved into the intake was the manufacturers attempt at a Venturi, meant to draw in fine air bubbles to create foam that will rise up into the collection cup. Pressed on the end of the fitting in the center of that Venturi piece, is supposed to be air line tubing that leads above the water to suck air.

If it were me, I'd keep the Maxijet powerhead and toss the rest. The Venturi piece only works when everything is right and getting everything right is very difficult, requiring constant, almost daily tweaking. 

A Skimmer is a great piece of equipment and I've used many different Skimmers, but I've also done dozens of tanks without skimmers. There are a few easy tricks to it. I'm happy to share with anyone interested.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic