Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newby Info on coral placement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newby Info on coral placement
    Posted: December 12 2016 at 1:43pm
Last week I got some frogspawn and hammer coral. Instead of gluing them to my rock I've just stuck them into holes/crevices in the rock. Will this be acceptable? They seem to be doing fine so far. The hammer had about a 2.5" stem and I've got it almost all in the rock. Will that cause any issues as far as new growth? I'm new to this so any info is appreciated.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 6:01pm
I would glue them into place so they don't fall out and either get damaged or damage another coral. If they fall out too often, I've noticed they can start to die.
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 8:40pm
So far mine have stayed in place and haven't fallen out. They are also away from each other so falling and touching wouldn't be an issue. Other than that will they grow fine how they are now? If I decide to glue them can I do it while the rock is submerged? What type of glue should I get? I've read people use gel super glue
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 11:48pm
i don't glue most of my corals and it hasn't been a problem much. If you can secure them in a rock it's fine. I use some epoxy stuff i bought at petco when needed, forgot what it's called.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 8:32am
Sticking the stalks securely in holes in the rock or between rocks is exactly what I do. That way they can be moved if needed or temporarily removed to frag. Future growth may make the head so heavy that it falls out. Something you are looking forward to I'm sure.

To use gel super glue remove the frag and squeeze a bb or pea size glob on the spot(s) that will touch the rock. Resubmerge the frag and hold it completely still for 15-30 seconds. Super glue requires h2o to set. Underwater it sets much quicker. It must be "gel" super glue. I buy the 2-packs at any dollar store.

Aloha,
Mark.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 11:08am
Great information thanks guys! I think unless I have issues with them falling or getting knocked off I'll leave em stuck in their crevices :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic