Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the water is freezing cold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the water is freezing cold
    Posted: December 12 2016 at 7:42am
From another thread regarding power outages:
Quote If its just for an hour or even 4 and your house is kept warm, you should be good with a car battery and inverter running a koralia....
... If your house drops temps really low, hopefully you have a fireplace. Otherwise, possibly wrap it with some blankets to help hold heat in. Just don't choke off the oxygen too much with it.

Question: How low can tank water temperature drop before we should be concerned? What does low water temp do to these poikilothermic (cold blooded) animalsQuestion
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 5:59pm
The lowest recommended Temps I've seen is about 68F. So if it's below that, then there's reason for concern. Significantly lower would be an emergency.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 8:32am
More importantly if the temp got below 68 degrees what would be the recommended way to increase it without causing additional stress to the inhabitants? How quickly can it be brought up? what is the best way to do that?
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 8:50am
From my own personal experience, if the temperature gradually decreases even down to 60 F, coral can survive, but that's if the increase is also gradual. The gradual increase from power being restored by the tank heater is perfect.

In the average home, during power outage, it can take 12 to 24 hours for a body of water to fall that low, though house temperature falls much quicker.

Really?

Okay what is it about water and cold blooded animals that makes this possible? Anyone know the answer?

Aloha,
Mark   
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 3:46am
Keeping it at 68 would be ok until full power is restored but having a heater close to your recommended size should reheat the water slow enough not to shock the system.

phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 3:47am
Mark, I would think the animal's ability to slow their metabolic rate is what helps to keep them alive. Something similar to a cold weather hibernation. I'm sure Adam would be able to correct me if I'm wrong though.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 9:53am
Yes, I believe that is correct.
Added to that, my understanding is that cold water holds more oxygen. So the animals need less O2 and there is more O2 in the water. The benefit of colder water is effectively doubled.

My dentists tank got down to about 60 over the Thanksgiving weekend because of a malfunctioning furnace. A tank heater has not been needed. The fish were hardly moving and would not eat. The water warmed only as the room warmed. All coral and all but one fish survived the several day ordeal.

Aloha,
Mark
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 10:21am
Depending on the corals in your tank you may not want to wait that long of 60 degrees. I know with what I have invested into my tanks inhabitants I would under no circumstances allow it to go below 70 degrees. An oxygen rich environment is great but I would prefer to warm the water one way or another.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 10:46am
Yeah, I agree. Especially when SPS are involved. Just thought it would be useful as a discussion.
This wasn't the first time I'd seen reef animals survive 60 degree temps.

Aloha
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 11:43am
If you are faced with 60 degree water what would be the best way to raise it if you have no power? What can be done to be proactive if you lose power? Should you wait before doing something?

These I think are better questions that can be helpful to all Aquarist.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 3:10pm
Float a hot water bottle??
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2016 at 1:22am
Depends on what you have available I suppose. Heat some water on a wood burning stove, gas stove, crap ton of hand warmers in bags.... Etc
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic