Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reduce Evaporation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jdubb925 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdubb925 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reduce Evaporation
    Posted: August 21 2016 at 1:10pm
Does anyone have any hints or tips for how to reduce evaporation?

I have an infinity edge tank with a total system volume of 50 gallons or slightly less. Because of the massive amount of surface area from the infinity edge I am losing up to 10 gallons a week in evaporation and can't put a cover on the tank.

The room the tank is in is always between 68-72 degrees and I run the tank at about 73-74 degrees.

I'm sure there are some very simple solutions but I'm just not smart enough to think of them.

Thanks in advance!
Justin W.

Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 1:50pm
I honestly think that's normal, since your temps seem on the lower end. If there is any air blowing across the water, it'll evaporate that much quicker, however, that also lowers the temperature. I evaporate a bit more than that in a 70G and run LED. Is it just inconvenient to keep trucking water over?
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
jdubb925 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdubb925 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 3:18pm
Ya I plan on going out of town in a few weeks and while I know the house sitter could do the necessary refills of the ATO. I would like to not make her do that.
Justin W.

kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 3:45pm
Evaporation is good. I go through a lot more than what you do and I have just come to accept it.
jdubb925 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdubb925 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 5:16pm
Ya I'm fine with it normally but we are heading out of town in a little while and I would like to try and minimize the bucket carrying for the house sitter. Maybe I'll just have to invest in a larger ATO resevoir.
Justin W.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 11:15pm
Assuming that you are having an experienced hobbyist check on the tank every 3-4 days while you are away, why not just have that experienced hobbyist refill the reservoir?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2016 at 11:41am
Agree with above. Evaporation is at a fine level. Have them top it off while you're gone.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2016 at 5:59pm
Hey did you buy my old tank? Post a pic of it. I almost bought it back so if it's the same one let me know if you ever decide to sell it, I miss that tank!
As for evaporation that thing had a lot of evap because of all the water movement and so open. I would honestly just buy a bigger reservoir or have the person taking care of fill it up.

Edited by bstuver - August 22 2016 at 6:00pm
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2016 at 7:59am
Awesome. Thumbs Up Love big water movement. Good pH, oxygenation and all that.
jdubb925 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdubb925 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2016 at 8:40am
Yes it's the same tank and I have never been so happy with a tank.(I have a hard time posting pics from my phone so I'll throw some pics up later) Seems like the general consensus is to suck it up and get a bigger resevoir so that is what I shall do.
Justin W.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2016 at 10:07am
If getting a bigger reservoir and finding a place for it is a hassle, I can suggest an easy method that I have used in the past. Set up a slow drip through airline tubing into the reservoir from a bucket placed on a chair next to the tank. A simple knot at the end of the tubing can be tightened or loosened to adjust the flow so that it drips just right. Check it over a few days before leaving to be sure it works right. Secure the airline so it can't fall out of the bucket.

Of course, I have to say again, it cannot be over-emphasized, the most fail proof tank-sitter is the experienced hobbyist that checks in on the tank every 2-4 days. An experienced hobbyist can feed, top off water and see if something is wrong. A neighbor or relative cannot see problems. There are too many sad stories from hobbyists here on the forum over the years where the tank died and the inexperienced tank-sitter wasn't even aware of it until too late. These animals are too important to leave in the hands of just anyone.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
There is always someone on this forum that lives nearby that is willing to exchange tank-sitting favors. If concerned about security with someone you've just met, ask the trusted neighbor/relative to let them in the house and accompany them during their visit.

Edited by Mark Peterson - August 23 2016 at 10:14am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic