Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1973Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power out
    Posted: May 01 2016 at 9:44am
Powers been out since 3 this morning anybody know where a can buy a battery powered air pump thanks
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 9:50am
I used an inverter that hooked up to my car when the power was out - I was able to power circulation pumps and heater during the time power was down. Like this one I'm sure you can find one similar at Walmart. 

aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
PharmaSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PharmaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 10:29am
I found mine at a Petsmart a couple years ago.
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.
No, the blue lights at my house are not growing "pharmaceuticals"...
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 10:29am
If the tank is in a room with a window, open the blinds/drapes completely so that sunlight, even indirect sunlight can reach the tank. The power of sunlight is amazing. It will keep the algae growing/photosynthesizing to provide dissolved Oxygen for all the animals. If there is a Refugium, open the doors to help save the Refugium. Also place most of the Macroalgae up in the display. This will provide enough O2 for the animals, coral, fish, inverts, etc., to hang on to life during this temporary time of stagnant water.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 7:01pm
Is the power back on? How did things work out? 

For anyone reading this, we have a discussion about 'power outage", preparing for it and surviving it, listed in the Reefkeeping Tips. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
1973Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 7:40pm
No power is still out I just went and borrowed my father in laws generator so everything seems to be doing fine thanks for all the help and advice
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 9:54pm
Wait.  Are you at around 18 hour no power?  That is a long time.  1-2 hours don't worry about it.  2-5 hours, you'll need to stir the tank and check temperature.  But when you're talking 12 hours+ we're looking at generators etc.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
1973Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 9:58pm
Yep been out since 3am and won't be back on till tomorrow sometime is what the power company said so i have it on a generator
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 4:13pm
Yes, I'm seen as being crazy and some people cannot believe I'm actually telling the truth, but that's not my concern.  I've had pumps off for a whole day, so no circulation for 24 hours and yet everything was out and looked pretty good the entire time. It's all in the power of sunlight and algae. Algae is the basis of all life on this earth.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 7:29pm
Mark, 50 gallon tank, lots of algae, two damsels = no problem.
50 gallon tank, no algae, 40 Wrasse, 20 angels = massive death.

Tell you what, let's ask Shane what happens when you have half a day without circulation.

Adam
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 10:30pm

Adam, you are absolutely right, and you really do have a flair for the dramatic. Wink Those 60 fish in a 50 gal tank?!!! certain Dead

I'm not the only WMAS hobbyist that makes use of natural sunlight and that doesn't overstock their tank, right? I make it a practice to know my tanks limitations and if overstocked, provide battery backup, a generator, an extension cord to a power inverter on a car battery or the ideal solution, the Auto ON AC/battery powered air pump for just $13. Smile 

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 03 2016 at 2:01am
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 8:54am
Again, there is no sunlight at 3am.

Adam
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 1:11pm
Yes, I know, we expect the O2:CO2 ratio to change and pH to drop, but the animals make it through the night just the same. I can't explain it. Maybe there is another benefit to daytime sunlight/good algal growth that is at work here? I don't know. I just know it works for me, a crazy old hippie hobbyist that likes to stir up the establishment.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 03 2016 at 2:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic