Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blue Linckia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
neurotivity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neurotivity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue Linckia
    Posted: April 06 2016 at 9:38am
Anybody have any long term experience with keeping a Blue Linckia in a mature tank? I've read countless articles on people keeping them with some success but in most cases they're doomed.

If you have had any success in keeping one, were there any factors that seemed to help keep the starfish alive?

I've read they presumably feed on bacterial film. If this is true would there be any specific bacteria that could be added to the tank to help keep the Linckia fed such as Microbacter7?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2016 at 10:16am
We've had many discussions about this over the years. Connie is no longer in the hobby, but she was able to keep them for a couple years. Here is a thread where she talks about it:
I found her post by doing a search for "blue linkia" in the Invertebrates section, selecting posts in the message body 1 year and older. There were a lot of threads about it, some of them offering ideas by other folks that had some success.

I wonder what www.liveaquaria.com has to say about them, if they sell Blue Linkia. I usually agree with their care recommendations.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Here is one of my favorite pics from earlier days, before I decided I didn't like killing Sea Stars. Unhappy

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
neurotivity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neurotivity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2016 at 10:33am
I've read several threads on here including the one you linked along with the Advanced Aquarist article but my question on bacteria still stands.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2016 at 11:27am
Good point. I believe you're on the right track.

It seems to me that one of the reasons Connie was able to do well with Sea Stars was because of feeding. She loved to feed more than most and with lots of variety. If I recall, at the time the idea of carbon dosing was just starting to be discussed.

Feeding is pretty much the same as dosing Carbon. It feeds and encourages bacteria growth and also sponge growth, both of which seem to be major foods for many Stars. Here is a pic of an Asterina extending it's stomach to digest bacteria, algae and detritus on the glass.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2016 at 1:56pm
I had my Blue Linkia for 6 years in my 120.  Then it sat in a flipping tub with my live rock for 6 months with a heater and a bubbler while I got my 400 set up.  It's been over 2 years and it's doing great in my 400 still.  That said I've probably tried a dozen other blues and oranges over the last 10 years and they always die, except this one. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic