Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ID?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WaitForIt... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ID?
    Posted: March 29 2016 at 11:41am

I have tried a lot of different locations for these guys, but they never seem to open up much.  does anyone have any idea of what they are and the best place for them in my tank?

It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 11:51am
Looks like Xenia coral. They are quite sensitive to certain parameters of the tank being high or low. What are your Alk, Ca, N03 and P04 levels in your tank. How much flow do you have in your tank?
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 1:03pm
Alk=9.1, Ca= 425, NO3=0, PO4=.08.  I have two hydor 1150 at each end of the tank (90g long).  I thought that it might be xenia at first, too.  but when they do decide to open a little, the inside is bright green. 
It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 1:03pm
sorry, my tank is a 75g.  Wishful thinking I guess...
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 1:12pm
Well I still won't rule out Xenia but if the centers are bright green then it's more likely Clove polyps. In either case they are sensitive to P04. I would run some GFO or Phosban to lower those Phosphates and see if that doesn't help solve the problem. They also don't need, or like, a ton of light. I see it's on the sand bed but what type of lighting and how many hours a day are the lights on?
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 1:54pm
I have T5 compacts: one white, two purple and an actinic.  The whites are only on for a couple of hours in the middle of the day, but the purple and actinics are on for 10.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 3:17pm

blue sympodium?  Does anyone have experience with these?

napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 4:31pm
I have a blue sympodium. Mine likes decent flow in the sand bed. Took a good week to open up. Although there is usually more green but with the photo hard to tell.

Edited by napalm77 - March 29 2016 at 4:37pm

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 7:06pm

Looks like Sympodium to me too. It's in the same family as Xenia but does not pulse. It does well in low to medium light and any flow. This coral is sensitive, not at all as hardy as Xenia. It's a good idea to know the conditions it came from. First try different spots on the sand with slow flow and lower light. As it slowly starts to respond, move it closer to where you want it. It's usually a very slow grower.

After 4 weeks if it's still not opening, at any time day or night, it's probably because it doesn't like the current tank environment. Like I said above, it's a sensitive coral that does not do well in half the tanks it goes into, even mature tanks. I'd consider trading it to someone and try again in 6 months. Maybe the way the tank changes in 6 months or a different Sympodium colony will like what the other didn't.

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 29 2016 at 7:19pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 8:12am
Thanks guys!  I moved into a low flow, shaded area last night.  i'll let it sit for a week or so and keep an eye on it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic