Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - UPDATE  - almost all LPS slowly receeding!!!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UPDATE - almost all LPS slowly receeding!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 6:33pm
Patience.
I'm not sure how long the Alk was low but it probably took months of low Alk before the LPS started to show the signs of their suffering. It will take some time for stable parameters to help the coral stop receding and start to recover.

Okay, I'm going to give my advice to each point of the previous post:

Unfortunately, when parameters are good, large/frequent water changes are more often stressful to coral rather than helpful. Stability is good. Change is bad. Lots of new water is a change. Wink See the logic?

Phosphate(PO4) typically does not increase immediately after removing the PO4 removal media. Give it time. I'm going to go out on a limb here. Now that we can see a pic of the Green Mushroom Leather I believe it's safe to assume that a low PO4 level is probably not the problem and certainly not the entire problem. If PO4 were at zero and had been for a while, that particular coral would not be doing so well. Yes, a valid test would be good. Get a new test kit or have it tested.

In a previous post, I may have suggested (or was it in another thread), the cessation of Benepets Coral food, because it caused problems in LPS for another hobbyist. What the...  Well, it can't hurt to stop using it temporarily and if it is indeed the culprit or one factor in a combined issue, improvement might show rather quickly.

The sign of chemical warfare is clear to me. I'm not sure why others can't see it.  Look how the Green Mushroom Leather polyps bend with the water flow and they are clearly bending toward the right side of the Chalice. To add to the issue, the Green Mushroom Leather is shading the right side of the Chalice. Shocked Lack of light energy combined with toxic chemicals!

It's okay. You're not alone. We've all been here too. Just a tip: Frustration is easier to handle when the issue is seen as a challenge. A problem that will be solved. That is the NATURE of this hobby. Mother Nature is complicated. That's one reason I love this hobby (the hobby I'm having to de-emphasize, for purely political reasons Embarrassed )

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Oh, one last tip. Overcrowding can be a serious issue in this hobby. I believe that applies here. This tank is definitely at the limits of overcrowding. In my experience, all those coral covering the sand may be causing some of the problems. Sorry. Cry My advice: more open sand - less coral - better growth/health
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 1:13am
Best I can think of is to test regularly keeping parameters stable. Dose small amounts to keep the parameters within 50ppm and don't dose more than 50ppm each time to reduce stress. I would suggest doing water changes but keep the levels stable around the parameters of the salt as to keep from changing them too much when doing water changes. Double check temperatures with more than one thermometer and keep the flow around the lps adequate, but nit too fast as to tug on the polyps. Only run phosphate remover if its beginning to get too high and only until it gets to a trace amount. Run carbon every few weeks to help remove the chem that are put off by the corals.
Supareef22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supareef22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 7:24pm
Do you ever put trace minerals into the tank? I was having recession and picked up a small bottle and started adding it and the recession went away.
Window Well Covers Custom Built

Discount For Reef Friends
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic