Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Removed biowheels now nitrates high

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
brandonp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removed biowheels now nitrates high
    Posted: August 01 2015 at 10:43pm
Hey everyone i need some help on my nitrates. I received some advice from someone on the forum who told me to ditch the wheels in my biowheels. Did as advised and noticed my nitrates shot up quickly after doing that. Went from barely detectable to somewhere between 30 and 50 (test with low range red sea nitrates kit). I have since added a product recommended by my lfs that has tiny bits of carbon and something else that helps with nitrates that comes in a media bag and is good for 4 months. It wasn't helping with nitrates the first week of using it. Then i purchased denitrate, changed filter pads, put chaeto into the biowheel canisters and have light on the chaeto during the day about 14 hours (need smaller less bright lights so i can run them at night and not bother the fish). I have also noticed either detritus or something else floating in my water which I'm sure i kicked up while vacuuming the sand (should mention system is 2 years old and former owner didn't vacuum). So the crap in the water is my fault I'm sure. But could the biowheels being removed have caused such a change as to affect my nitrates like that? One person who seems very knowledgeable says yes. Just wishing i had left them in now even though most say ditch them. Seems like trying to prevent nitrates caused them in my case. So now that my water quality went to crap how do i deal with this. Changing around 25% water a week seems to do nothing for me. Should i get a filter sock and use my little circulating pump i mix water with to pump water through the sock and clean up my water? Maybe it's detritus causing nitrates? Any advise would be extremely helpful. No refugium hence the chaeto in the biowheel canister and I am running a little hob protein skimmer. Please help before my corals get too unhappy. Thanks in advance to everyone. Forgot to mention there is about 70 lbs live rock in my 55 gal

Edited by brandonp - August 01 2015 at 11:15pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 9:36pm
I'm sorry that nobody came along earlier to answer this. When I come to the forum (usually once a day) I see new PM's first, which I answer, then I look at the Emergency section because it's at the top. You've probably already seen my reply there. Smile

You'll note that my phone number is in my signature line for just this reason, to provide immediate assistance. It pretty much has been listed there since 2002 when the forum was created. I don't mind phone calls. 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
brandonp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 11:43pm
Thanks Mark. I look forward to talking tomorrow.
brandonp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 3:47pm
Follow up to the discussion i had with Mark: To anyone who may be removing bio wheels or bio pellets. After Mark Peterson and i talked he mentioned that i should update anyone who may be reading this post as far as what to do if you plan on discontinuing the use of either of these products. Mark advises anyone who is phasing either of these out to do so slowly. I have 2 biowheel units and both have 2 wheels in them. Instead of removing all 4 at once i should have stretched it out. Lesson learned
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic