Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acro Eating Flatworm in-tank treatment!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acro Eating Flatworm in-tank treatment!
    Posted: June 01 2015 at 8:22am
Click Here for Link

(From the article)-"Treatment tank was 300 gallons. To mix in tank solution --- 1 lb KCL for every 50 gallons tank volume (for the mixture I used 5 gallon buckets and added up to about 7 lb KCL). This will make it easier to just pour one 5 gallon bucket solution and wait 30 minutes to change water.."

I stumbled across this threat yesterday and was very impressed. Many have been searching for an in tank treatment that actually works.

When I found out I had them last year I had to take every acro out of my tank and dip every coral for 8 weeks(just to be safe we doubled the dip period) and leave the tank acro free for months to be certain. So far I haven't seen any since I did this dip regimen.

This article looks like its very promising for those with mature tanks and want to avoid taking their tanks apart to dip.

Edited by Trevor40 - June 01 2015 at 2:20pm
Call or Text (801)834-3119
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 5:57pm
Have you actually read the entire thread? I was tagging along and posting in it (under the name MechEng99). That method is not ready for prime time...he lost a LOT and had to remove his fish and cleanup crew. Not much point on an in tank method when you remove most of the livestock.

If I was in his shoes (lots of sps with aefw), I would go with other methods rather than kcl.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 8:13pm
Yeah, the more I read the less I think it would be a realistic treatment. Hopefully someone finds an in tank solution soon. It seems like every hobbiest will get these at some point. I am paranoid I will get them again one day.

Everyone needs a QT tank and sadly most of us don't quaranteen new frags.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 8:21pm
AEFW don't scare me. I had them in an SPS-dominant tank years ago, and I beat them in a month. Monti-eating nudis are what really scare me. They don't starve off as quickly and can live for months without food. I modeled the life cycle of several pests with various treatments...those nudis were the WORST.    
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 8:22pm
But yes...QT tanks are a must. Don't know why people think I'm so crazy...hehe
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 8:33pm
You beat AEFW and I beat monti eating nudis. :) work hard enough and I think any pest can be beaten.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 9:14pm
How did you beat the nudis?
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 9:22pm
Many dips and a very hungry wrasse. I've now got 4 montis in the tank and no wrasse and no nudis.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 8:37am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

But yes...QT tanks are a must. Don't know why people think I'm so crazy...hehe

For me I don't quarantine simply because I don't have space for another tank. Once I move into a bigger place that will be my first purchase. I don't like having frags in my main tank either so it will be great to make frags.

AEFW scare me only because you can't see them. Anytime I see a coral losing color even the slightest bit it makes me nervous. The thought of removing all the acros again makes me sick to my stomach-broken colonies and growth stops.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic