Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is ice melt safe?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 4:56am
I thought this thread started as a discussion of Calcium Chloride ice melt for making a Ca supplement?When I use the CaCl2 ice melt formulations, I mix it in a large open container using the same RO water that is used for aquarium top-off. After mixing to full saturation, I let it sit for a few hours then siphon out the clear liquid into a separate dosing bottle. The remaining top foam and bottom sediment layers are washed down the drain. The minute impurities probably don't really matter to my reef, but I feel better. Smile

Magnesium Chloride and Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salt) are for making a Mg supplement. Combining the two is not necessary. They can be used separately. They can also be used dry in the sump where they slowly dissolve. A filter bag, if used on the drain, is where the dry Epsom Salt and Ice Melt can be poured.

I wonder if that Costco Magnesium Chloride ice melt is formulated into a convenient particle form for throwing out over the driveway, This may mean there are some impurities similar to Prestone Driveway Heat and other brands of CalCl2 ice melt. My understanding is that pure Magnesium Chloride crystallizes as a flake, sometimes sold as "Magnesium Flake". If left out in the air, it attracts moisture to become a milky slurry. Just thought you might want to know more about it. Embarrassed

Also, like Lewy said, the more pure the water, the less impurities there are for the wanted chemical to react with.

My 2 cents.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 5:27am
Originally posted by Skulldozer Skulldozer wrote:

Why wouldn't you just dose something like Seachem Reef Fusion?

Because it's expensive, especially on large tanks. Dosing the generic chemical version is just fine and cheaper.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 5:26pm
I use the mag from Costco and it gets slimy if let out in the air and it is a flake not powder or prill.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 9:37pm
Cool
sh2007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sh2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 7:37am
thanks Mark for the explanation.
jsol12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsol12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 11:04pm
Mark, how do you know how much to dose and how often to dose the ice melt and baking soda?
150gal/25gal sump Red Sea Max S650, started 3/28/15
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 8:17pm
Testing.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 9:53pm
I'm lazy.  I've always loved this calculator...

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jsol12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsol12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 10:35pm
That seems efficient, not lazy Smile Thanks!
150gal/25gal sump Red Sea Max S650, started 3/28/15
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 11:15pm
That's a neat calculator that he must have done a lot of work to produce, checking each product for the amount it delivers. SmileSomething I would have expected Adam to come up with.

I'm a DIY'er. I found that I could increase the saturation of my homemade solutions by letting them sit so in my case the calculator isn't as useful.
Also,
Every tank has different demands. All organisms eat Alk, Ca, Mg, etc. at different rates. Testing is the only way to know for sure how much to continue adding to keep them feeding properly. If it isn't clear already, I consider these chemical components as food.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic