Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Breeding Journal, Poecilia reticulata

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cu455 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cu455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breeding Journal, Poecilia reticulata
    Posted: February 28 2015 at 10:41am

<pre style="margin-top: 0; display: inline;">
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:Poecilia reticulata  
Social Structure: Pair
Size of Individuals: ~1/2in
Age of Individuals:  Unknown
Date added to Tank: 9/2014

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 2.5 gallon breeders box in a 4ftx2ftx18in refugium connected to a 265 gallon tank.  
Substrate Details: Bare Bottom
Filtration Details: 2 HOB filters, dyi wet/dry, refugium (liverock, muscles, assorted macro algae).
Water Changes: 50 gallons every other week.
Water Temperature:  75 degrees Fahrenheit.
Lighting: 120 watt leds, all white.  
Lighting Cycle:  24 hours
Other Tank Inhabitants: No other tankmates in the breeders box. The fuge is shared with 2 clownfish, goatfish and a tobacco basslet.  

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: LRS reef frenzy, NLS therma A pellets, Aquadine pellets,squid, shrimp and fish from the market.
Feeding Schedule:  

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:Unknown  
Spawn Time of Day:  Unknown
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: Unknown
Courtship Details: Unknown
Egg Size: <1mm
Egg Color: Black  
Egg Count: Unknown

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: February 28, 2015  
Hatch Time of Day: Between 2 AM and 10 AM
# Days after Spawn:  Unknown
Larvae Description:  Photos and pics below. ~24 fry.

Larval Tank Details SAME AS PARENTS
Temperature:
Size of Larval Tank:    
Substrate Details:  
Other Tank Decor:  
Filtration Details:  
Lighting:  
Lighting Cycle:  
Water Changes:  

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: Crushed Aquadine flakes  
Feeding Schedule:  3 times a day

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:  
Days after Hatch:  
Date of Settlement End:  
Description of Fry:  

Grow-Out Tank Details
SAME AS PARENTS Temperature:  
Size of Grow-Out Tank:  
Substrate Details:  
Other Tank Decor:  
Filtration Details:  
Lighting:  
Lighting Cycle:  
Water Changes:  
Size at Transfer:  
Age at Transfer:  

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:  
Feeding Schedule:  

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information:  

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

<span style="font-size:10px">
</span>

Edited by Cu455 - February 28 2015 at 3:33pm
Cu455 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cu455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 11:06am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoyuxXm-Wg0

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 12:42pm
You can get them to convert to salt... Tough but possible.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Cu455 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cu455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 1:27pm
I started with about 20. I dripped about half of them at 1 drop every couple of seconds, the next day they were all dead. The other half I added a cup of saltwater everyday for 2 weeks. Once I was done I was left with 3 and released them into my fuge. A few months later these are the only to survivors.
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 2:42pm
Poecilia reticulata aka guppies.
Cu455 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cu455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 3:32pm
Not just ordinary guppies but fancy tail guppies. I hope the MBI counsel accepts it. They didn't have the species listed as an option so I had to petition the counsel. There are people who are breeding aptasia so I don't see why guppies will be a problem.

Here are pictures of the female from 2/26/2015. 2 days before she gave birth.

beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 4:29pm
Wth??
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 11:50pm
"Not just ordinary guppies but fancy tail guppies. I hope the MBI counsel accepts it. They didn't have the species listed as an option so I had to petition the counsel. There are people who are breeding aptasia so I don't see why guppies will be a problem."
MBI=Marine Breeders Initiative, 
The Marine Breeding Initiative was created as a tool to encourage marine aquaria hobbyists to get involved in the captive breeding of marine organisms. The MBI was designed with the help of leading experts in the breeding of marine ornamentals to be a standardized award system and database that can be easily adopted by aquarium societies and site owners to promote captive breeding amongst their members.
Sorry, they will reject all freshwater species.
Aiptasia is a marine (saltwater) species

Edited by sabeypets - February 28 2015 at 11:51pm
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Cu455 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cu455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 7:59am
The fish were raised and bred in saltwater. They might not accept it, which is totally understandable. If they don't accept this round maybe they will accept the offsprings of the fry. They would have been born, raised and reproduced in a marine environment. Either way I will update everyone on the decision.
mpedersen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpedersen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 8:58pm
As a food item, the breeding of saltwater guppies might have some merit. Probably would be an FC0 (no points, but the reports are allowed).  You raise a valid point re: the cultivation of Aiptasia...VERY NECESSARY for Berghia breeders...cultivating Aiptasia in mass quantities can actually be more challenging than we might first think...
You only need to raise one...
Cu455 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cu455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2015 at 8:50am
Do I at least get the first to breed merit with the fc0? I guess I will have to wait for my catsharks to breed to get some points.

Bad news about the guppies. To start off I live in a small apartment so all my fish stuff is at my parents house, which they are not to happy about. I was switching my sump to something smaller and had my guppies in a critter keeper on the floor in the basement.

I walk to and from work. On my walk home I stop at my parents place to take care of the fish. When I went to the house my dad told me that I left my guppies, what he called minnows in the middle of the basement and he put them into my pond. He didn't put the critter keeper in with the guppies in it, he just dumped all the guppies in. To no shock when I looked into the pond I saw no guppies. I have no idea why he did it, but I think he thought they will survive. I was kind of pissed but didn't want to make a big deal of it. So I just said thanks.
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Cu455 Cu455 wrote:

Do I at least get the first to breed merit with the fc0? I guess I will have to wait for my catsharks to breed to get some points.

Bad news about the guppies. To start off I live in a small apartment so all my fish stuff is at my parents house, which they are not to happy about. I was switching my sump to something smaller and had my guppies in a critter keeper on the floor in the basement.

I walk to and from work. On my walk home I stop at my parents place to take care of the fish. When I went to the house my dad told me that I left my guppies, what he called minnows in the middle of the basement and he put them into my pond. He didn't put the critter keeper in with the guppies in it, he just dumped all the guppies in. To no shock when I looked into the pond I saw no guppies. I have no idea why he did it, but I think he thought they will survive. I was kind of pissed but didn't want to make a big deal of it. So I just said thanks.

I think you have to request "the first to breed merit" But I'm not sure. Sorry to hear about the Guppys.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic