Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plate coral pest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
uppree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uppree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plate coral pest
    Posted: February 07 2015 at 12:33pm
I just bought a plate coral for my 18 gallon tank. I notice that there is a brown bug or something crawling in the plate after I put it in my tank. Is it harmful? What should I do to take care of it?

Thanks,
Up

Edited by uppree - February 07 2015 at 12:36pm
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 12:44pm
It looks like Red Planaria to me. This is what we usually refer to as "Flatworms" though there are many other types of flatworms. They can be bothersome and when they die they can be toxic to a system if they are large in number. Salifert Flatworm eXit works well and I use it as part of a coral dip for new corals.

uppree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uppree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 2:20pm
I dip the coral in fresh water, and the two worms are gone. thanks
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 10:54pm
Keep an eye on the tank for more for 3 weeks at least. There are some species that are more tolerant of treatments than others. Freshwater dips don't kill eggs (although those may reproduce asexually.)

I'd recommend something other than freshwater dips in the future. CoralRx, Bayer, TMPCC, Revive, and Lugols are much safer and more effective choices.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
uppree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uppree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 11:32pm
Thank you for your advice. I will keep looking for it.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 9:16am
I recently treated a 180 gal tank for those same exact Flatworms. They are different and larger than the Red Planeria(flatworm) mentioned above and pictured below, but still treatable in an easy way. In the 180 all coral and fish did just fine during and after the treatment. No troublesome water changes were needed and all flatworms are gone. 

If those Flatworms appear again on this or other coral, I can do the same for your tank as I have done dozens of times in other tanks or I can give you instructions on how to do it.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 1:18pm
Mark,

There is no way to get a species ID from the OP's photo. Therefore, there's no way to tell if you had the exact same species. Different species have different reactions to various treatment methods. What might've worked for you is not guaranteed to work for the OP's species. The term "Red Planaria" usuallyvrefers to C. retrogemma, but it's not a scientific term.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 7:44pm
Of course, ReefdUp is correct. Nevertheless, they looked just like that. Those Flatworms commonly crawl on coral tissue(especially LPS and soft coral) rather than on the substrate like C. retrogemma. For me, the treatment has worked well. I don't know how it will work for a pest expert. 

Actually a quick dip in freshwater is usually the quickest, easiest, sure-fire way to get these flatworms off of incoming coral and it is my typical first suggestion. I'm glad it worked for Uppree.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 2:48pm
As someone who has pulled in a LOT of wild colonies of zoanthids, freshwater dips kill very few species of flatworms. If it kills the actual flatworm, it likely doesn't kill the eggs.

I always recommend a more potent dip.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 5:00pm
That makes a lot of sense and explains why I have so little experience with pests. In all my coral farming over the years, I figure 90% of my coral came from local hobbyists.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 6:18pm
I purposely get stuff with pests. I find it interesting learning how to treat them. We all know I'm weird.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

I purposely get stuff with pests. I find it interesting learning how to treat them. We all know I'm weird.

I've got a pest problem. Can you see if you can fix it? It's called a cat.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 6:42pm
LOL I think you are very cool. 

Hug
millsu2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millsu2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 9:19am
I think the freshwater dip doesn't kill the pests. Instead it shocks the pests, causing them to let go, and leaves them floating in the water that you dump down the drain. I doubt it does anything to the eggs, though. There is also still a chance that the pest will get caught in a crevice, not float away, and end up back in your aquarium still alive.

It may not be the most effective, but it is still worth doing if you don't have anything better. I hear adding some Bayer insecticide to your freshwater dip makes it just as good as any marketed coral pesticide dip. It is cheap and you can get it almost anywhere. I have some in my garage right now, but haven't tried it yet.

Edited by millsu2 - February 11 2015 at 9:22am
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 9:32am
Originally posted by millsu2 millsu2 wrote:

I think the freshwater dip doesn't kill the pests. Instead it shocks the pests, causing them to let go, and leaves them floating in the water that you dump down the drain. I doubt it does anything to the eggs, though. There is also still a chance that the pest will get caught in a crevice, not float away, and end up back in your aquarium still alive.

It may not be the most effective, but it is still worth doing if you don't have anything better. I hear adding some Bayer insecticide to your freshwater dip makes it just as good as any marketed coral pesticide dip. It is cheap and you can get it almost anywhere. I have some in my garage right now, but haven't tried it yet.

I have, it works wonders. Kills just about everything.

I love bayers.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
uppree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uppree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 9:28pm
I have not check the thread for awhile. Thanks for all the comments. I will have to keep a good eye on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic