Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Salinity raise from dosing?!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 8:39pm
When did you last calibrate your refractometer? And by calibrate, I mean at 0 AND 35ppt. And I hope you're not using a hydrometer....
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 8:54pm
Sell me on a refractometer are the hydrometers so out of date? I am old school if it's not broken don't fix it. Which is why I am still waiting on LEDs and have only used t5 for actinic supplement
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 9:10pm
I use a hydrometer, and have calibrated it to a refractometer. It's off by .005 if I remember right, and other wise consistent as heck. I have a water change brewing, so I'll have a baseline to start from along with my dosing. Usually ½ c /day, or 100 ml ea of Ca & Alk. Usually 4-5 times per week. If I miss more than 2 days it drops both. 70 gal total volume of water, so I'll check daily from tomorrow on and see if it goes up.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 9:26pm
Got the pic. Yeah that's the stuff, Calcium Chloride pearls. I believe I read that the hydrometer was recently calibrated and a hydrometer can't get that far off in two days. I'm stumped.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 10:17pm
Some more thoughts...

hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate, although they are consistent to some degree, so you would think as long as it is double checked against a refractometer then you should be good...but there a few things I have found.

1.  hydrometers will provide different readings at different temps, so that is one thing to think about as the weather changes and impacts your tank temp, or whether you make new water without a heater. 

2.  hydrometers will provide different readings based on its cleanliness, whether it has been wet recently, rinsed, etc.

I don't think there is any big reason to sell you on a refractometer other than they are 20 bucks more than a hydrometer and are much more precise.  Their precision will allow you to better gauge how much your salinity is increasing.  In addition, they are not effected by temps to my knowledge. 

I am not concerned with the prestone heat, used that for years, but never raised my salinity.  If dosing around 1ml or more per gallon (of tank size) of two part per day, you will typically see your salinity creep up from 1.0260 to 1.0265 each week. 

You are either adding salty water from your ato, messed up your two part concentrations and are over dosing (you should see some precip), or you are experiencing measurement error. 

Good luck!

Edited by bur01014 - September 29 2014 at 10:18pm
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 4:41am
How long are you letting your water change water mix? How much and how often are your water changes?
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 3:50pm
I just did my first water change in six months yesterday the only thing that makes a bit if sense is the temp which Is something that never crossed my mind (even though it was buried somewhere in the archives [;)thanks for all the help
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic