Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Selling - Getting out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 11:09pm
I guess if I start bleeding at the gills I will let everyone know.
Matt Savage

"Tattoos and Street Bikes"
jessejames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessejames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 12:28am
School pumps still available?
building 220 marineland tank(had to return my 265 :-( couldn't fit it in my new house) with 120 g sump with g4x skimmer,47 column, 9 gallon aqua medic nano

wave

jessejames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessejames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 5:17am
Dc pumps I meant stupid auto correct haha
building 220 marineland tank(had to return my 265 :-( couldn't fit it in my new house) with 120 g sump with g4x skimmer,47 column, 9 gallon aqua medic nano

wave

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 7:31am
So an autopsy revealed the Nematode and in turn the worm created the bacterial infection?

Something does not quite jive with that evaluation as the reason for every fish to die, but if it's true, I was thinking the same as Will. The seafood that comes to grocery stores around here is frozen for shipment, then thawed before being put on display. I have often asked a store for seafood that is not on display and still in the freezer. This ensures that it has not been thawed out before I take it home to my freezer.
Have you checked to see if the stuff you bought may have actually been shipped without freezing? It would greatly surprise me if it was. It's more likely one of the fish came in with it. Could the fish have picked up the worm in it's natural environment or could it have been fed contaminated food somewhere along it's route before it came to you. It's sickening to lose all the fish in shuch a short period, but I believe you did everything you could to bring them in to a good healthy environment.

Wish you could have been to the last meeting. The Living Planet employee in charge of the Reef Aquarium display threw out the idea that they might eventually use a huge canister of biopellets. Several of us old timers noticed that he seemed to be naive about biopellets. If you had been there, you could have taught him a thing or two. Wink

Aloha Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 7:42am
I don't think I could possibly ride in the same boat as Mark so I'm right next to him in my own canoe on this one- minus the attendance to the last meeting as I didn't make it myself.

Edited by DLindquist - April 10 2014 at 7:44am
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

So an autopsy revealed the Nematode and in turn the worm created the bacterial infection?

Something does not quite jive with that evaluation as the reason for every fish to die, but if it's true, I was thinking the same as Will. The seafood that comes to grocery stores around here is frozen for shipment, then thawed before being put on display. I have often asked a store for seafood that is not on display and still in the freezer. This ensures that it has not been thawed out before I take it home to my freezer.
Have you checked to see if the stuff you bought may have actually been shipped without freezing? It would greatly surprise me if it was. It's more likely one of the fish came in with it. Could the fish have picked up the worm in it's natural environment or could it have been fed contaminated food somewhere along it's route before it came to you. It's sickening to lose all the fish in shuch a short period, but I believe you did everything you could to bring them in to a good healthy environment.

Wish you could have been to the last meeting. The Living Planet employee in charge of the Reef Aquarium display threw out the idea that they might eventually use a huge canister of biopellets. Several of us old timers noticed that he seemed to be naive about biopellets. If you had been there, you could have taught him a thing or two. Wink

Aloha Hug

That's why she said if I was to do this a 1,000 times and try to replicate it, I couldn't do it.  

She initially thought that one of the fish gave it to another, but since I've had fish in there for months and fish that have been there for 30 days and since the nematodes were the same size, she threw that option out.  

Her next opinion was that I got a bad batch of fish and they all came in with it.  Cross Hatches I know came from Sea Dwelling, the Lyretails came from Live Aquaria (Quality Marine, not Divers Den), Gold Flake from AD (Most likely Sea Dwelling) and the rest came from Doug at Bird World.  I asked Doug about the Sea Dwelling order and hasn't ordered from them for quite awhile.  I did have 2 fish with it that came from Live Rock n Reef, but I don't think he orders from the LA stores, but I also did not ask him.  There could be a chance that all these wholesalers got a bad batch of fish from the same diver, but again, that is unlikely as well, seeing as how it's most likely 4 different wholesalers.  

Her last opinion is what she came to a conclusion with is Food.  I do feed lots of the ROE products in the bottles, but she said that it's very unlikely it could have come from those.  I've been to a couple Smith's, a grocer in Centerville, Harmons in City Creek, Chinese Market in Glen Dale and Whole Foods on 4th South in the last couple months.  She asked me "Have you heard of the perfect storm?".  She thinks that a batch of seafood came in with it and I got it before it was frozen.  She said that even refrigerated temps will kill it off, but that's the only conclusion she came to. 

Since the nematode comes in small and goes into a worm form in about 30 days, she thinks it's linked to me feeding my Cross Hatches.  I was buying scallops, clams, fish, 2 kinds of raw shrimp and squid.  I would blend it into chunks and then put it into a tub in my fridge.  

She said it's highly unlikely that it was spread from fish to fish, because this nematode attacks certain organs first and unless a fish died and rotted in the tank and all the other fish munched on it, she said that it could not have been transferred like that.  Off the top of my head, I don't recall any fish dying.  There could have been some anthia's, but I'm usually pretty good at keeping track of who is missing. My Naso will poop and the Tangs would eat it, but the Naso is the 1 of the last 3 fish I have left that didn't get it.  

I just sent her another batch of fish yesterday and she will get it this morning.  I'll let you know if she thinks of anything different. 

Edited by love2skiutah - April 10 2014 at 7:54am
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 1:30pm
Thanks for the more detailed explanation. Same size of Nematodes means they all hatched around the same time? That's forensically logical. I may not be the only one curious to know, Who is this woman in Orlando and how did you come across her?

Originally posted by love2skiutah love2skiutah wrote:

I froze the fish and sent them to a gal in Orlando who studies infections on animals.  Apparently I had got a rare nematode round worm from the local deli seafood department and fed it to my fish.  It caused an internal bacterial infection and killed all the fish I've had for months.  The infection itself was not super rare, but the nematode that caused it, was.  You can avoid it by freezing your seafood from the deli for 24 hours before you chop it up and give it to your fish. 

As I reread and thought more about this, I am wondering whether she is blaming the fish deaths on the nematode or the infection? If infection, then I am wondering if since this incident was such a fluke (pun intended) then it should not matter how you proceed from here. If some fish are still alive, they evidently avoided getting the worm and survived the infection, then perhaps more fish can be added now with no ill effects? Question

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 1:47pm

I love this thread, I love the community coming together.  As the topic keeps evolving I am wondering if you are not selling if it would be best to move to General Discussion forum. 

Edited by jdinchak - April 10 2014 at 1:47pm
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
endorphin8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endorphin8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 1:55pm
Congratulations Aaron on staying with it!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by jdinchak jdinchak wrote:

I love this thread, I love the community coming together.  As the topic keeps evolving I am wondering if you are not selling if it would be best to move to General Discussion forum. 

Probably be best to move it f u want. I have some more feedback I will chime in with later tonight.
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 3:01pm
Cool. Yeah let's keep it rolling.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 6:51pm
It was awesome talking to Arron and hearing all the support he was receiving. We are a family and once again its awesome to see us come together!!!!!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Lucky15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 2:00pm
Wow that was a huge lost I'm sorry to hear that I just red all of this tread and I'm glad you are going to stay I don't have nothing to offer But I'm just glad to see this club supporting a friend. I haven't met a anybody but I'm sure I will at some point.

I also lost some fish after someone gave me a free fish full of ich I didn't notice until I brought him home acclimated him and put him in my DT I did a lot of reading on ich and I was able to save some of my fish after getting a QT and doing hyposalanity also I added some ick attack, the fish had been in the QT for about 2 weeks now I haven't seen any spots anymore, and my DT it's been fishless since then as well, I red that is supposed to stay like that for at least 72 days for the ich to die off

Anyways i learned the hard way to invest in a QT and always quarantine all of the fish we get

I know this was not your case but I just wanted to share my experience and to be careful with anything we get for free or buy
electricreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electricreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 4:01pm
Hey Man,
I don't know you personally but I can't tell you how many times I read through your tank build thread and drooled. That is truly a (dream) setup and one of kind. Glad to see you decided to stay with it! Selfishly because I have been secretly hoping for an opportunity to see your tank in person one day. Anyway, I don't have a ton of really high end stuff but I do feel that I finally have a decent setup with enough coral to share/donate to your cause if you would like. I almost Gave up once too and it is very frustrating. I'm sure most of have been there a time or two some worse than others and some are probably still there. Anyways let me know if I can help. And good look getting rolling again!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 4:16pm
Wow. Forgot I even posted this lol.

It took a good year to recover and get it back and going.  Electric, you're welcome to swing by anytime. The tank looks amazing right and it's getting pretty full.  Actually, just ripped out and tossed a bunch of the cheaper SPS and making room for some nicer rarer pieces.  
jaywilson709 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaywilson709 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 8:04am
Sorry to hear about your tank, I haven't had a chance to read all the post yet but I recently picket up some Chaetomorpha Algae from you a few weeks ago. should I be concerned?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 8:06am
Originally posted by jaywilson709 jaywilson709 wrote:

Sorry to hear about your tank, I haven't had a chance to read all the post yet but I recently picket up some Chaetomorpha Algae from you a few weeks ago. should I be concerned?

I haven't had it in over a year. You should be fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic