Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dosing Calcium/Mag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dosing Calcium/Mag
    Posted: March 13 2014 at 9:20am
My setup is currently depleting calcium and magnesium at a weekly rate of Mag 100ppm and Cal 50ppm. I am still dosing by hand just using a capful here and there. I also have to manually top off my sump about a gallon a day.

I am wondering if I could just add the Mag and Cal to my 5 gallon top off jug and just replenish it that way.
Will the mag and cal bind if both added to RO water?
Will these chemicals change because they are sitting in RO water for a few days before being added to the saltwater?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Edited by LakeCityReefs - March 13 2014 at 9:21am
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 10:16am
If you use an ATO to top off the water, then it is not a good idea. Since you are doing it manually there should not be an issue. The only thing to consider is build up in the lower part of the 5 gallon res you are using. The simply fix for that would be to stir it before you pull out the top off water.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 10:51am
+1 to Rich

I have 1 gal jugs of mixed Ca and Mg solution that sit for weeks at a time before use (sometimes), so premixing ahead is not a problem

If you are dosing manually , you could combine the 2 into the same container and you should be OK, as long as your solution is mixed right before pouring it into the sump

But using an ATO might cause the ATO to malfunction due to mineral build up
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 7:20pm
Ok so that's what I'm going to do. Since my jug of tipoff water lasts me about 6 days i am going to add enough cal and mag to cover what's being depleted.

Thanks guys.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 9:21pm
I can see how this may seem like a good idea, but what about Alkalinity demand and then Mg demand? I'm also wondering if this partial dosing of Ca and Mg in the top off water is going to be more complicated than simple manual dosing alone.

The tests I did for you the other night revealed:
Alk 8.4 dKH
Ca 350 ppm
Mg 1200 ppm

I've been thinking... As you move the Ca up from 350 ppm, Alk is going to be dropping from it's current level of 8.4 dKH. Alk will need to be manually dosed. As the Alk and Ca increase, the need for Mg will change, especially since you are also trying to chase it up from it's current 1200 ppm.

I believe it would be a good idea to have Alk, Ca and Mg test kits on hand to watch the levels and do manual dosing as needed. Your coralline algae dominant tank should be able to keep a fairly stable level if manually dosed once or twice/week. Weekly/biweekly dosing will also allow you to cut back from ~10% weekly water changes to 10% monthly water changes.

From my visit the other night, I can tell you that the tank looks really good and coral are acting as they should. These 3 levels are not bad, just at the low end of their respective ranges.  Be careful. Chasing these numbers can lead to trouble. Go slowly and test often so you can get a feel for how the tank responds to the attempt to increase levels.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2014 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Be careful. Chasing these numbers can lead to trouble. Go slowly and test often so you can get a feel for how the tank responds to the attempt to increase levels.

What Mark said is crucial when changing these! BE CAREFUL AND GO SLOW, and test often! If nothing else listen to that.

But your a great reefer so I know youll be ok! 

J

Edited by Jeremyw - March 14 2014 at 9:42am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 8:47pm
The Cal. and Mag. have increased easily over the past few days. I am noticing that my Alk really wont move that easy.

Current levels
Temp. 77
Mag. 1340
Cal. 480
Alk. 8.8
PH 8.2
Phos. 0
Nitrate 5

I want to make sure I'm taking it slow. It seems I need to lower the amounts im using in my topoff water.any suggestions on the Alk?

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my chemistry but the only other modifications id to is:
- 10% water change weekly.
- Refresh carbon monthly.
- Refresh Phosguard every 4-6 weeks.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 9:57pm
To me Alk is the most frustrating, I am struggling with keeping mine up as well. The salt I use to do my water change ends up making my cal close to 500 and my mag close to 1400 so then the Alk suffers and I am constantly just dosing Alk. I don't want to hijack your thread but figured I would post about my issues on a thread that has the same topic...
I keep my salinity 1.024-1.025

Edited by bstuver - March 18 2014 at 10:00pm
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 10:35pm
Good point Jackie, I have never tested before and after a water change. I do test the salinity of the water I buy from Benepets. It matches mine perfectly at 1.025 every time.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 10:44pm
I usually test my new salt water and dose it before doing a water change so that it doesn't mess up my numbers.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

I usually test my new salt water and dose it before doing a water change so that it doesn't mess up my numbers.

That would be a good idea.
Is it bad to have the cal and mag that high? I don't normally keep mine that high but this salt, instant ocean reef crystals ends up really high!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 3:46am
While it may not seem that difficult to some to manually dose, it blows my mind it's still being done. I grew so tired of that a year into the hobby. Call it dumb luck, but after four weeks or so of small adjustments, my Ca reactor becomes a set it and forget it system. Yes, I still test monthly but our previous 90G setup of almost nine years (in our current home) rarely fluctuated once the reactor was dialed in. With our current 270G set up, I've reached the same equilibrium. And in that time period, I've realized (the hard way) Alk is one of the most crucial parameters of reefing.

To the OP, I would be concerned about mixing the three chemicals in a concentrated formula in your 5G top off jug. As your tank stabalizes, your Alk usage should increase in demand also which means you'll have to mix that in with your top off solution.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 3:53am
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

That would be a good idea.
Is it bad to have the cal and mag that high? I don't normally keep mine that high but this salt, instant ocean reef crystals ends up really high!

Jackie, during our ups and downs over the last two years with a copper incident wiping out half our corals, Ca reactor going down, Alk levels dropping out, messing with manual dosing, etc. my levels have been all over the board. For a period of almost six months, my Mag levels never dropped below 1460 regardless of what I did. The only noticeable result was the complete disappearance of our Bryopsis algae. As far as a Ca reading of 500, you may start to see some calcification (our calcium build up) on your pumps, power heads and the such but should be okay.

Edited by DLindquist - March 19 2014 at 3:58am
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Matthew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 6:33pm
Sorry to add to a pretty old post, but this might be worth knowing.

FYI:
Depending on what you are dosing it isn't always OK to mix magnesium and calcium. 

Magnesium Sulfate and Calcium Chloride together will form Calcium Sulfate.  Calcium Sulfate is a solid that then becomes pretty useless, all is not totally lost in that the magnesium is still available in aqueous form.

Matthew
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 9:15pm
41 Posts since 2008 what the heck YOU should be ashamed Matthew? You are like the guy that sleeps on the couch in "half baked" he wakes up every once in a while says something insightful then goes back to sleep. (sorry for the highjack)
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
Matthew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 4:30pm
Here is post #42!

I am really busy and dont often have too much to add. :)

BTW, everyone, PDoug or Phillip is my LITTLE, SMALL, TINY brother. :)
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Matthew Matthew wrote:

BTW, everyone, PDoug or Phillip is my LITTLE, SMALL, TINY brother. :)
You introduce me as your "not so little brother" Love you bro
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 9:10am
LOL
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic