Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

green spot on staghorn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
laroc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laroc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: green spot on staghorn
    Posted: February 25 2014 at 1:20pm
Ok sorry no pictures but here is the situation. Get home last night and notice a bright green dot about a middle of the way up the trunk. A little bigger than a pin head. This morning the green dot I'm guessing exploded but now there is a open wound where the spot use to be and the tissue has receded a little bit. Any thoughts I know it is hard to really tell without a picture.
Thanks.
ca 460
alk 10.5
mg 1400

temp 74

no crabs only nerite snails, orchid pseudochromis

Always be leery of a fish farmer...wait or is it a pig farmer?
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 3:25pm
Could be a hammer coral head that came off, I find that my hammer coral sometimes have a head come off and float around the tank causing havoc...but if you do not have hammer, or frogspawn, or torch, I don't know what  it could be.
65g Reef
laroc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laroc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 4:09pm
Thanks for the reply. I do have a branching hammer and a torch.  As far as it causing havoc ( can it sting other coral if the head(s) break off) would it leave a creator in the staghorn. I might have to buy a camera.
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 4:19pm
Without a pic its hard to tell but yes they can sting and cause dead spots where they landed and stuck.
65g Reef
laroc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laroc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 4:08pm
Just want to say thanks again. After evaluating the situation I think your dead on. Brushed ( lightly) the remaining junk off the trunk last night and sure enough looks like a sting mark. 
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 1:29am
just try to get the area clear by blasting it with a little water.. if you let it sit, it may end up spreading more.. Some of my acros get stung and if i dont do this, it keeps going. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic