Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drain plumbing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drain plumbing?
    Posted: January 24 2014 at 2:47pm
I have two glass holes 1" overflows on my 65gal, which to set up I need to re-plumb. 

Previously I had 2, 1" tubes that sloped from the drains to the center of the stand at the level they went into the sump area, then turned and drained via a couple 1.25" pipes into the sump.  There was some water noise with the drain pipes--not much but you could hear it if you paid attention.

I'm considering plumbing both 1" drains into a single 1.25" schedule 20 pipe--should I do this near the top of the tank, middle, or down low?  The use of 45* elbows better than using 90* elbows?  Just looking for anything I shouldn't do to help cut down on possible issues.

l_____l     or    \        /    or    \______/    or    l_____/          <--ideas for how to plumb it.
     l                    \__/                    l                  l
     l                       l                       l                  l
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 5:57pm
Decided that it would be easier to run two 1" tubes since my 3/4" return is centered in the back of the tank, with overflows to either side.

willstang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willstang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 6:12pm
Try herbie style, its death silent
Ghetto Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghetto Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 9:45pm
Herbie for sure.  There is no reason not to if you have two drain pipes on a tank that size.  Quiet and safe.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 2:18am
Regarding the use of 45 degree elbows, oddly, no they are not more efficient than a single 90 degree el, but the difference is very small. The coefficient of friction with two 45s is 0.01 higher than a single 90. What is, to me, the bigger differences are 1) using two fittings is more expensive than using a single fitting and 2) what does my plumbing needs require

If there is a need for a 45 I use it, other than that I use 90s. To me having the pipe sufficiently oversized for the job negates any ineffeciencies.

As far as design, I have had two dursos and one Herbie. I like the Herbie WAY better.

Fat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 9:52am
I don't have the ability to do a herbie overflow, using two glass holes overflow boxes out the back, running two 1" to allow for one getting clogged, with the air intake of the drain being brought back to where if one clogs up, the rising water will create a full suction on the other (I'm probably going to throttle down the return pump a bit too to help keep the flow within capacity of one drain normally)

However, I'm just wondering if I should add a short horizontal piece, then drop straight down the rest of the way instead of angling the pipes?

The center is my return, the two outsides are my drains.  It was never loud enough to notice unless you listened specifically for it.  I'm just wondering if putting in the horizontal piece will help with the sound in any way, rather than just having the water free-fall at an angle the whole way.  I can also try and combine the two 1" into a 1.25" or 1.5" pipe, it will just give me a bit of grief getting the  Â¾" return around/past/under it.

\     l    / <--previous version       proposed -->  l___ l ___l
  \   l   /                                                                 lll
    l  l  l                                                                  lll

Edited by Crazy Tarzan - January 25 2014 at 9:52am

Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 10:58am
From the looks of it I don't see much difference. Both show single pipes all the way to the termination. Use whatever is easiest to plumb around the part you have and maintain when you have an issue. On the Proposed one I'd include some unions on the two outside pipes.

Fat
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic