Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where to place new favia frag?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DIDYSIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIDYSIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to place new favia frag?
    Posted: January 19 2014 at 12:31pm
I wanted to get a favia as I like them and so I did, now the question I have is what do I place it on in the tank? 

Of course I have rock in the tank which I can glue it to but the skeleton is about 1 to 1.5 inches thick so it will stick up a ways, 
Or I have more of a crushed coral base do I place in on top of that or into it a little? 

Appreciate your expertise.  

The piece is about 2x2 inches square.  
600 Gallon Stingray Tank
400 Gallon Stingray Tank
120 Gallon Reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 4:01pm
A coral like that should start on the sand for "light acclimation" (to prevent sunburn) then watched to see how it does as you either leave it there on the sand or later bring it up to where you want it, but not into too bright of light. It should eventually grow around and over the exposed skeleton, which I assume is where it was sawed apart from the rest of the colony, right?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
DIDYSIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIDYSIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 4:07pm
Here is what it looks like now. Lighting led turned all the way low on this small tank. It's kinda under a large toad stool so a little shadded.

Edited by DIDYSIS - January 19 2014 at 4:11pm
600 Gallon Stingray Tank
400 Gallon Stingray Tank
120 Gallon Reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 5:24pm
Looks good.
Yeah I see what you mean. I'd push it down into the sand a little to hide most of the skeleton.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
DIDYSIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIDYSIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 5:30pm
Thanks. Just want to figure out the right place for it to start spreading out a good bit when it's ready. Giving it the best opportunity see s to be key with everything.
600 Gallon Stingray Tank
400 Gallon Stingray Tank
120 Gallon Reef
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 6:15pm
Not trying to be rude just trying to get a grasp on the value of certain items, so pardon my asking but how much did a coral like that cost?
DIDYSIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIDYSIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 6:26pm
I got this one from OCD reefs they have good prices on frags. Starting at 10.00 and going up depending on size. Should check them out.
600 Gallon Stingray Tank
400 Gallon Stingray Tank
120 Gallon Reef
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 4:33pm
Lake it is not rude to ask the price of corals.  $5-$10 is a fair price for what he purchased . Size of a coral and what it is dictates most pricing.  Here is a example. Both are sps , about a 1" piece , run of the mill birdsnest free or $5. But buy a piece of the same size sps that is a Red Dragon expect the starting price to be around $75 . Quality, rarity, quantity available, and growth time all affect the price of coral. It has been my experience it is cheaper to buy off of the forum than from a LFS when it comes to most corals. Also the better your relationship with people or your LFS makes negotiating for a lower price easier.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic