Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sps growing into each other, what now?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sps growing into each other, what now?
    Posted: December 30 2013 at 10:15pm
I have a "cali" tort and green slimer colony growing into each other. Some branches are about 1/4 to 1/8 inch from touching. Do I have to trim one or will they "fight" and stop growth at those branches? What is the best course of action here? Thanks (pic attached but it was taken after my lights were off).

Edited by Bryce - December 30 2013 at 10:16pm
65g Reef
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 10:25pm
One if not both will die at the tips. Frag one or both.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 10:36pm
Is there a method to which one to frag in terms of looking at each colony's growth pattern, trying to factor in where both look like they will grow out in future or is it best just to trim both back?
65g Reef
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 10:42pm
I would disagree, I have had and see many aquariums where sps touch, could they battle sure. But I have also seen and experienced sps coexisting. Some sps species are far more aggressive then others. I would keep a eye on it 

Edited by Aquarium Creations - December 30 2013 at 10:44pm
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 10:48pm
Well it is interesting that the slimer hasnt slimed up from being pissed like it does if I bump it and at night these corals are close enough that when their polyps are fully extended at night they could touch...what sucks about having a 65g and such little room I had no choice if I wanted a variety of sps but to place them relatively close together and now a year later I have multiple colonies on verge of touching.

Edited by Bryce - December 30 2013 at 10:49pm
65g Reef
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 11:39pm
I have an idaho grape monti that's been encroaching on my slimer's territory for awhile. The slimer hasn't slimed over or done anything really. The monti grows around the branches rather than into them. I'm sure there is some chemical warfare I'm not seeing which is causing the monti to leave about a clear centimeter between itself and the slimer, but there hasn't been any noticeable damage to either coral. I did frag back the monti though because it was starting to shade a patch of the slimer.

I think it's really up to you; if you're worried about it, by all means frag away. If not, don't worry about fragging and let them battle it out.
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 12:25am
Some SPS will tolerate touching each other while others will not. And like Eric said, some SPS are much more aggressive than others, just keep a close eye on them. Yes, they will usually stop growing at the tip where they touch. 
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 10:01am
Thanks everyone, I appreciate everyone's input!
65g Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic