Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Repair of center brace

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repair of center brace
    Posted: November 04 2013 at 9:27am
I need to repair this brace before I can finish filling up the tank and I am looking for a few ideas.

The best idea that I have so far is to take a piece of acyrllic and bend a tab at the back then use some weld on and glue it back together, the other is to weld the back and use nylon screws at the front, it's a bow front other wise I'd just glue in a piece of glass and remove the plastic part.

There is not going to be a hood the tank top will be openside view of back of tank

a few pics

side view of back of tank

Previous owner of the tank had the lights too close to the plastic, tank has been this way for years full of water so really pretty stable, I'd just like it more stable Wink
Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
Melissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 9:35am
I replaced the whole plastic rim on my 72 bowfront earlier this year.

Found a quick write-up with pictures online, ordered the new top through The Aquarium, and did it all in a few hours.  (Here's the link http://tanks4thememories.blogspot.com/2010/04/awesome-article-on-replacing-center.html)

I looked into a couple of glue-extra-pieces-on type fixes but didn't quite feel comfortable with those.
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 9:47am
That is a good idea, though I have no idea what brand this is, all I know is that it is a 72 bowfront, I am leaning towards replacing it with a piece of glass, I believe that a glass shop could cut the shape to fit the front. what would be a good width? 1/4 inch thickness?
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 2:32pm

My temp repair, these are not the cheapie plastic cable ties, they are nylon and have a stainless steel tang to hold, I was able to close the opening with one finger pressing on the glass, so really two of these should be more than enough at least until I can come up with a better solution
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2013 at 2:07am
A dremel with a diamond bit can be used to shape or cut curves in glass. If it was mine I would replace the whole trim. the silicone used to adhere the glass will stretch over time.  My  old 72 bow had a center brace that sagged almost 3/8" from previous heat. (it was used) When I filled it the brace was straight as an arrow. Thats a lot of flex IMO.
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2013 at 10:35am
I am thinking that if I give the glass shop a pattern from cardboard they could give it a bit of a shape, the silicone should do most of the work if I can get the glass in there, I don't know what the tolerance would be though. I am thinking about 3 inches wide and 1/4 glass would be all that I need. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic