Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review my LED Build? Please?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2013 at 12:58am
Nice! I skimmed through the whole thing. Pretty detailed. If you're looking to add something for a spectral analysis of the fixture, let me know... I have access to a spectrometer.

Something you could think about is having something to describe any intermediate acrylic/glass for splash protection. I don't know if you have any on the build though.

Its interesting to see the hike in alkalinity usage. It seems to be a good indicator of increased growth if all other factors are nominal.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2013 at 5:30pm
Wow...you're nuts for reading it. :) But thanks for the feedback.

It's due tomorrow, so I won't be able to incorporate a spectral analysis (which I was hoping to do a basic one with the Seneye, but it's not working right). But, I'd like to continue testing post-graduation. In other words, I'd like to take you up on that.

The fixtures I used do have acrylic guards on them, and I could've sworn I had a little itty bitty sentence in the report about it. I'll double check and add it if I don't. But, you're right...they're pretty much a *must* for an LED fixture.

I'm not convinced the hike in alkalinity is related to the LEDs, especially considering the stable calcium. The combination of alkalinity and magnesium dropping are suspect, but if it was from accelerated coral growth, I would expect a drop in calcium as well... Further testing is needed....
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2013 at 6:16pm
Yea, just let me know.. I cant let you take it, but i can bring it to you and do the tests with you.. that's the only thing lol.. $8K isnt something i can just let go haha. You know the dealeo. 

If you had a little itty bitty sentence in there for the acrylic, then i probably missed it. lol I didnt read every word. 

A possibility is that the corals are using more magnesium in their growth than calcium since its slightly easier to add that ion to the skeleton. Did you notice increase growth in the size of the corals between the different lights? If the lights are providing faster growth, it may be that they are using mag since it is actually easier to get. It would also help to explain the level calcium usage if the growth has accelerated. Something to try would be to increase the calcium concentration in the tank and see if you need to increase the amount of calcium dosing while watching magnesium dosing decrease by a small amount. 
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 1:27am
Ok all you spectrum analysis nerds just tell this High Class Redneck if I bought or made this would i be able to grow happier coral ? Was fun but I need it in a red neck term . Light on or off LMAO 
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 1:30am
haha... you take the blue and stick it with some more blue and less blue... then you take a little red.. then you take a little yellow white and some bluish white... stick them all together and turn it on. lol
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 1:34am
ahh now I get it just like my X-mas tree . Thanks for helping me out  Wink
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 1:36am
just use the right LEDs and heatsinks... I doubt Christmas lights would do anything haha
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 2:13pm
So far, the growth has been amazing...but...

I bumped up the cyan, cool blue, and red to 20% before Christmas (kept royal blue, white, and violet at 15%). Most of my corals have lost color, and some have obvious bleaching. I've knocked them back to 15%. I'm interested to know if it's the additional red since the intensity didn't increase very much. Once the corals recover, I'll continue testing.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic